Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I installed my hrc kit and now I have a real rough idle. Not like a cammed idle more like it pops and cracks and just isn't smooth. I adjusted my fuel screw per the directions on here and it sounds the smoothest and crispest at around 1 1/2 turns out. I still have the stock pilot jet in and I also get a backfire pop through the exhaust every now and then. I am sort of getting tired of all this HRC trouble. If anyone has any suggestions please help me out. Here are my settings so you all can see whats going on:

HRC kit complete
185 main jet
stock pilot jet
fuel screw at 1 1/2 turns out from closed off
hrc needle on 4th clip

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
From what I read, you should have a 48 pilot and a 185 main....and I think you should be about 2 1/2 turns out.. :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, this may sound dumb but when you all say 2 1/2 turns out, that does mean 2 complete turns out and another half. I know I should be 2 1/2 out but the engine starts to bog back down and idles rough at 2 1/2 out.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I am running the HRC kit minus the cam and i have the needle on the 4th position, a 185 main jet and the stock 48 pilot. I also have my air screw about 2 3/4 turns out and it is running very well.

Did you put the cam in or did you have the shop do it? You may want to go back and make sure you aligned everything correct and your timing is correct. This will make it sputter and run wierd... if you can even get it to fire.

Good luck
Dave

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've got the HRC kit, Duncan fatboy system, and I'm running 185 main,48 pilot, 2.5 turns out on the air screw, and a K&N filter. I am running the HRC lid as well, not open box. Runs like a champ...Vortec CDI will be here Friday. I was cool with everything but camming the 450, my dealer who has some pretty good wrenches dropped the cam in for $ 140 and checked my jetting for me. He asked me if I had a repair manual, because the jetting was dead on. I said nope, just some pretty cool folks @ TRX450R.ORG who take the time to help each other out. :D Thanks agin for the pics RideRed626!!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Originally posted by BOONE450R@Sep 29 2004, 07:50 PM
try the needle it the 3rd clip
this is the best advice i see... with the HRC needle, you shoudn't have to lower your clip. keep it in the 3rd position. i would only go to the 4th position with a stock needle and pipe w/open or modded airbox.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Originally posted by RedDogg+Sep 30 2004, 04:36 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-BOONE450R
@Sep 29 2004, 07:50 PM
try the needle it the 3rd clip
this is the best advice i see... with the HRC needle, you shoudn't have to lower your clip. keep it in the 3rd position. i would only go to the 4th position with a stock needle and pipe w/open or modded airbox. [/b]
I found it backwards...

I had the stock needle on #3 position and it ran well, I then put the HRC needle in and started on # 3 and it ran funny. I then went to position 4 and bumped the MJ to a 185 from a 180 and it ran awesome. I then kept the 185 in and went back to the 3rd clip position for the heck of it and it was still runny a little funny. So I went back the #4 position and it runs awesome now.

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts