Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a rev box for the 450. I was wondering has anybody tried it or heard about it. It is made by advatage performance and it claims it raises the limit 750- 1000 rpm. wanted to see everybody else's opinion about it.

Here's the link advantage performance]HERE

·
Registered
497 Posts
I called and they told me it is not ready yet :(

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Hey SledSales...

I bought a bumper from you a while back.

Anyhow - a little more info on this CDI please.

Does it:
Change the timing curve at all? I'd personally prefer it didn't - I've had experiences before with aftermarket CDI's being simply a CDI from another bike that ends up throwing off the curve in parts of the powerband and introducing problems.

Where does it limit? (general vicinity is fine, I don't need an exact number if you don't have it)

If I remember correctly, the stock CDI also controls the fan and some other circuits -- does the one you're selling?

Is it "Plug and Play" or do I need to do some cutting, soldering, and shrinking?

Is there any other disadvantages to using this CDI that I haven't addressed? Anything that no longer functions, etc?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by 86atc250r@Jun 18 2004, 11:13 AM
Hey SledSales...

I bought a bumper from you a while back.

Anyhow - a little more info on this CDI please.

Does it:
Change the timing curve at all?  I'd personally prefer it didn't - I've had experiences before with aftermarket CDI's being simply a CDI from another bike that ends up throwing off the curve in parts of the powerband and introducing problems.

Where does it limit? (general vicinity is fine, I don't need an exact number if you don't have it)

If I remember correctly, the stock CDI also controls the fan and some other circuits  -- does the one you're selling?

Is it "Plug and Play" or do I need to do some cutting, soldering, and shrinking?

Is there any other disadvantages to using this CDI that I haven't addressed?  Anything that no longer functions, etc?

Thanks
very good questions....I want to know too. :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
I emailed him directly from ebay, I will let you know when he replies. The ausction does read that it raises the rev limit 1000+ over stock and it changes power curve. Maybe that means it changes the timing.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Here is the reply from the vendor, take it as you will, sounds a little vague.

It Improves Shift Points and Enhances the Power Curve. It also raises the Rev Limit by 1000+ RPM.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Hmm... I already knew that from his auction ad. Hopefully he'll come back here and answer the questions in more detail.

Sounds like it's off something else and is altering the timing curve.

Problem with that is usually these come from dirtbikes & the lighter dirtbike can have a more aggressive timing curve -- but in a quad it will cause pre-ignition problems.

I also believe if it's from something like a CRF, that the fan will no longer work - not sure about that though.

From my standpoint (having tuned a lot of 3D timing maps myself) - Honda likely spent a lot of dyno time optimizing the ignition curve of the 450R to fit the quad's requirements. If you just arbitrarily put in an advance curve from another vehicle you'll likly either:

A.) lose power and cause jetting issues
B.) cause preignition problems and lose power
C.) all of the above

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys....sorry for the delay...busy weekend.

To answer your questions....

Yes, it does enhance the timing curve. It has gone through several prototypes to ensure that there is no loss of power. This is the final unit that just came off the assembly lines.

This CDI box for the TRX450R is different than the one for a CRF450R.

You gain about 1000+ RPM with this box (sorry, no exact number)

No Cutting, No Soldering, etc. Unplug stock, plug-in this CDI Box.....Done.

This CDI box works on Stock or Modified engines.

I hope this helps !!

What other questions can I answer ??

Note: Just 2 CDI Boxes remaining. I may get more next week OR next month....they are a hot item.

B) B) B)

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by twgracer@Jun 18 2004, 05:55 PM
Here is the reply from the vendor, take it as you will, sounds a little vague.

It Improves Shift Points and Enhances the Power Curve.  It also raises the Rev Limit by 1000+ RPM.
how do you improve shift points on a clutch? It shifts when you shift. not when the CDI tells it to...sorry but someone needs to explain that to me....you dont see them making shift kits for a manuel transmission...

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I think what he meant was it alters the power curve (I'm assuming it shifts it higher) --- thus allowing you to change your shift points.

Sled - I'm a bit leery of it advancing the timing, my ultimate plans are to add a 12:1 piston & I'd rather not have a box that advances the ignition much and bumps up the octane requirement & the likelihood of preignition. What can you tell me about the new ignition curve.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The minor timing advances that it does will not affect octane requirements, modifications, or anything of that sort.

I really wouldn't give it a second thought. B)

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Would you happen to have any type of dyno sheet comparison between stock and with your box?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Sledsales.com,

Hey man ! ... I am happy to hear there is a rev box ! ... I am sure there is significant interest from the members here ...

Unfortunately the approach that has taken place in this thread is a method that can't be used to promote your product ... Here's an excerpt of the Terms of Service:

--- www.trx450r.org forum is a free service to its members through the support of its advertisers, supporting vendors and dealers. Therefore we cannot allow commercial postings by anyone, Commercial or fellow member in the forums. We have a no commercial postings policy. The only advertising that is permitted is by authorized vendors. ---

Sledsales.com,

I would recommend changing your user name to something other than a .com and take a look at the 4 sale section for members ... As of now, we DO allow members to post things for sale and let them reference their ebay auctions if they are private sellers ... We have avenues for businesses to pursue to become affiliated with the site but registering as a business and promoting your product in the public forum has the potential to hurt the other businesses that have come on board to offer all the members good prices and service ...

You cam PM Schmitthead the site owner or email him by clicking on his user name ... You can find the Mod/Admin team here:

http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?act...ts&CODE=leaders

I'm sure there's a way we can accomodate you, just give him a PM or email and thanks for your participation thus far !

desert_450r[/b]
the question was raised multiple times about rev boxes so I don't think he did anything wrong. I should know because I asked about 3 times myself, where I could get one. Its not like he is selling a used pipe or something. I for one am glad he posted, now I know they are available.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I tend to agree --

While I understand that balancing info vs advertising is hard & that one must protect his paying advertisers --- Sledsales did not start this thread to advertise a product he was selling. He responded to a question that someone had on a topic many of us are interested in but there is little info on out there.

Especially seeing's how no one else responded with any product info --- paid sponsor or not.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Yep, I understand --- all is cool :)

I host numerous websites myself for various organizations. Several of them have messageboards which can be disk space and bandwidth hogs. Many users don't have a clue how expensive it can get to host a popular messageboard.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
When/if someone on here gets one, it would be good to get some feedback.

This is the 1st one I've seen that's actually being sold. Every other one I seen or heard about (procomm engineering, Vortex, magnum, sparks, big gun, etc) either has had problems (hearsay), or keeps pushing the release back 2 more weeks, then, 2 more weeks, etc.

I wonder what have they figured out that everyone else hasn't? I know someone has to be the 1st one to get it to the public, but what's been the problem or hold up with the others?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the Support Guys !!

As all of you understand, I was just giving out requested information on a rare product.
I didn't give out a phone number, or say to e-mail me for quotes. All I said was...here is an eBay link.

I will also respect the forum rules more carefully in the future.

B) B) B)

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Change the timing curve at all?[/b]
When I bought a rev box from White bros for my 400ex, it not only change the power curve but when the bike was cold it was a b!tch to start!!!! I got so sick of it I took it off and never used one again. So, will this do the same thing????? Because now this bike is kick start and I don't want to deal with a problem like that again!!!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts