Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this on atv riders, so I'm gonna see what everyone thinks here to.

Does anyone know what all is needed to replace the left crankcase? I assume only the gasket and case. I didn't know if there was anything else. Also, will I have to dissamble the head and all of that to replace it? My three tabs broke off that hold my case saver and now there is nothing there to hold it. I tried JB Weld and couldn't get it to hold when I put my bolts in.

Thanks.

·
Registered
226 Posts
just got done doing it on my buddies 04. you need to buy a full gasket set that comes with seals and stuff too,
you have to take the entire motor apart to replace the crankcase.

you will need to break the old case to get a few bearings out that you need to put in the new case as the new case from honda doen't come with all the bearings. you also need to take the head studs out of the old case and put them in the new one.

on of the bearings is for the balancer and the other is for the transmisson on the inside of the left case.

the only special tool you need is a flywheel puller.

good luck and take your time!! don't get into a rush. and when you take the motor apart, make sure you put everything in bags and label them so its easier to go back together.

oh and honda-partsdirect.com has left crankcase for $260 or so if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I asked this on atv riders, so I'm gonna see what everyone thinks here to.

Does anyone know what all is needed to replace the left crankcase? I assume only the gasket and case. I didn't know if there was anything else. Also, will I have to dissamble the head and all of that to replace it? My three tabs broke off that hold my case saver and now there is nothing there to hold it. I tried JB Weld and couldn't get it to hold when I put my bolts in.

Thanks.[/b]

I wouldn't waste your time unless the chain has busted the cases so that it is leaking oil.

There are about 7 million old 250R's running around without the case saver mounting tabs in place.

Make sure that your chain is tight and ride that biotch.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't waste your time unless the chain has busted the cases so that it is leaking oil.

There are about 7 million old 250R's running around without the case saver mounting tabs in place.

Make sure that your chain is tight and ride that biotch.[/b]
You don't have to worry about that. I'll be at Indianola this weekend riding it like that. I do have the GT Thunder rotor guards, so I should be safe. I'm just thinking about the future, just in case.

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
just got done doing it on my buddies 04. you need to buy a full gasket set that comes with seals and stuff too,
you have to take the entire motor apart to replace the crankcase.

you will need to break the old case to get a few bearings out that you need to put in the new case as the new case from honda doen't come with all the bearings. you also need to take the head studs out of the old case and put them in the new one.

on of the bearings is for the balancer and the other is for the transmisson on the inside of the left case.

the only special tool you need is a flywheel puller.

good luck and take your time!! don't get into a rush. and when you take the motor apart, make sure you put everything in bags and label them so its easier to go back together.

oh and honda-partsdirect.com has left crankcase for $260 or so if I remember correctly.[/b]

What tool did you use to pull the bearings out of the case?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm replacing the left crankcase (due to broken teeth in sprocket chain slipped cracked the crank case around shifter or a wheelie and I came down with my foot on the shifter) anyways, I removed all other engine mounts but the swing arm bolt.
the swing arm bolt is stuck but I got the nut off the otherside any idea how to get it thru so I can remove the engine?

·
Truck Yea
5,677 Posts
I'm replacing the left crankcase (due to broken teeth in sprocket chain slipped cracked the crank case around shifter or a wheelie and I came down with my foot on the shifter) anyways, I removed all other engine mounts but the swing arm bolt.
the swing arm bolt is stuck but I got the nut off the otherside any idea how to get it thru so I can remove the engine?
An air hammer works very well as it will vibrate the bolt out. Failing that, a 10lb sledge and turn the bike on its side and pound on it. you are going to be replacing the bolt. make sure to grease the bolt up with never seize when you do replace it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks I'm on day 4 of trying to get it out Using penetrant oil. But I just went out to get a 1/2 x 13 tap and airhammer and I'll let you guys know by the end of the day. Also have swingarm bolt on the way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts