Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i messed up the carrier while trying to remove bearings, whats the trick to removing the bearings? and any suggestions where to buy new axle carrier for stock swing arm ( 06 450r)

·
Registered
11,022 Posts
dont beat up the carrier is about all the help i can offer lol

i agree it does suck

but this give you the chance to replace it with a better aftermarket dual roll bearing carrier check with woodward specialties for a great price on one with bearings and seals

BUT if you want to go back stock then check eGay

·
Registered
456 Posts
heres a trick for you guys. Get yourself a toaster oven. Heat up the carrier at 400 degrees. and the bearings fall out with a few taps on a piece of plywood. The aluminum expands more than the steel. I also heat the aluminum and put the new bearings in. They slide right in and when the carrier cools down, they are tight. Then i install the new seals. Works for me.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
heres a trick for you guys. Get yourself a toaster oven. Heat up the carrier at 400 degrees. and the bearings fall out with a few taps on a piece of plywood. The aluminum expands more than the steel. I also heat the aluminum and put the new bearings in. They slide right in and when the carrier cools down, they are tight. Then i install the new seals. Works for me.[/b]
OHHH very clever

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
You can either use a little propane torch or put them in the oven. I wouldn't go all the way to 400 degrees though. You need to be very careful using an oven because the grease inside the bearings will boil. When using an oven I always preheat to 150, then stick it in for 15 minutes then pull it out and tap it on the bench. This last time I just used a small propane torch and they fell out with a few taps.

I picked up my burgard billet carrier on ebay for $135shipped.

·
450R Rider
1,148 Posts
The heat/ cool trick works on alot of different bearings.. I did this with my crank bearing and case bearings, heat one cool the other in the freezer, if you do it right you dont even needa hammer

·
Registered
362 Posts
heres a trick for you guys. Get yourself a toaster oven. Heat up the carrier at 400 degrees. and the bearings fall out with a few taps on a piece of plywood. The aluminum expands more than the steel. I also heat the aluminum and put the new bearings in. They slide right in and when the carrier cools down, they are tight. Then i install the new seals. Works for me.

throwing it in the oven works REALLY well. i just pulled my carrier bearings last night and couldn't believe how easy it was to remove them. i had never heard of this before......thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I need to replace my rear axle bearings and ive never done it before. the how to guide thats sticked doesnt show pics anymore. can anyone point me to the kit they got for a 2005 rear end? They have never been replaced before.

·
Registered
166 Posts
the same thing happened to me but i got new red stuff.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
heres a trick for you guys. Get yourself a toaster oven. Heat up the carrier at 400 degrees. and the bearings fall out with a few taps on a piece of plywood. The aluminum expands more than the steel. I also heat the aluminum and put the new bearings in. They slide right in and when the carrier cools down, they are tight. Then i install the new seals. Works for me.[/b]

I do that to replace cylinder sleeves in my sled.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts