Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this 08 trx450R for my 700xx is that a keinhens FCR carb and also the red temp light on the dash will not go off it is not hooked up as you can see in the pic could someone have grounded the wire to make the fan run constantly?

Attachments

·
Truck Yea
5,944 Posts
That is likely why the lights on. The fan only turns on if it’s hooked up to the sensor by a certain temp. If you wire it to be always on the red light turns on.

Frankly I’m not sure how people overheat these things. I’ve owned several and never once had one to the point of overheating and I beat on them and don’t use any special coolant like engine ice either

Reactions: Ryan94Wright

·
Registered
532 Posts
That is likely why the lights on. The fan only turns on if it’s hooked up to the sensor by a certain temp. If you wire it to be always on the red light turns on.

Frankly I’m not sure how people overheat these things. I’ve owned several and never once had one to the point of overheating and I beat on them and don’t use any special coolant like engine ice either
Yeah I have always thought that too. I live in one of the hottest Areas of Arizona and have ridden in the heat and still never had an over heat issue. I have 1 time that i can recal because I let it idle to long and it was 105 F and my fan wasn't kicking on but I shut it off for 15 minutes and it was fine as long as I kept it moving through the air.

·
Truck Yea
5,944 Posts
Yeah I have always thought that too. I live in one of the hottest Areas of Arizona and have ridden in the heat and still never had an over heat issue. I have 1 time that i can recal because I let it idle to long and it was 105 F and my fan wasn't kicking on but I shut it off for 15 minutes and it was fine as long as I kept it moving through the air.
i dont let it idle too much. if im not riding ill shut it off.

i also upgraded to a boyesen water pump cause the stock one took a dump, but even before that it never overheated. i will admit i dont run high compression really and the machine is jetted using a sniffer so i know im right on the money

Reactions: Ryan94Wright

·
Registered
532 Posts
i dont let it idle too much. if im not riding ill shut it off.

i also upgraded to a boyesen water pump cause the stock one took a dump, but even before that it never overheated. i will admit i dont run high compression really and the machine is jetted using a sniffer so i know im right on the money
Yep same here, I run a somewhat mild compression ratio, to many people think you only can make power from the highest compression.

·
Registered
2006 trx 450er. Stock motor, sparks full exhaust, elka legacy series shocks, and many more boltons!!
466 Posts
Yep same here, I run a somewhat mild compression ratio, to many people think you only can make power from the highest compression.
CJM I’ve heard thus expression b4 (sniffer) what is it exactly a wide band tuner of some sort? Can you tell me where to get one and how to use it please? Would like to get my carb just right, I know it’s not lol

·
Registered
2006 trx 450er. Stock motor, sparks full exhaust, elka legacy series shocks, and many more boltons!!
466 Posts
Yea me too, for internal stuff, everything else I like to do. So was wondering if this is something I can do or buy. Like buying a tuner for my guitar. I can tune it by ear, but it’s sounds better if I use a tuner. Know what I mean?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yes you can get a wide band and an o2 bung to weld into your header if you do make sure to buy a bung plug as well. if you do get a Wideband and meter the easiest thing to do is drill a hole in the header at least 12" to 16" away from the exhaust port weld in the bung. Usually you wanna see about 12:5.1 from Idle to WOT (Or with in that close Range!).

I have done it many times on a dyno and set up's on just just a bike. It's great idea to make plug and play set up and such so that you can just plug the Wide Band and the Meter into the bike and run it up and down the street while checking the 02 readings.

Once it's all hooked up and CALIBRATED you would have to see what it's idling at after it's warmed up. For example if it's in the 10:1 range it's a bit rich you might be able to turn the air screw out some and that SHOULD lean out the idle. For example if the AFR is unresponsive and hanging arounf 9:1 or like 10:1 or wont go higher then 10:8 then you go DOWN on the pilot jet size, then check it again and if it's no 11:5 then turning the ai sxcrew out would get you in the 12:0 range leaner. Typically 2 turns out on the Air Screw as a start.

Now you would move on to doing 1/4 to WOT test's or "pulls" after you figured out the Pilot jet size and air screw setting.

Usually if it's rich or lean at 1/4 throttle then your needle will need to to be moved 1 clip position don (which makes it more rich) or one clip position up (which will make it more lean) if it is always to lean at 1/4 throttle no matter where the needle sits then sometimes sanding the tip of the needle or changing the needle is needed to create a different Taper, (trick is also use for incredible throttle responce if everything is done correctly). Now say it has hanging idle and irattic idle or won't idle unless you hold the throttle opened and always rich no matter what polit jet you used or the AFR Meter is just showing rich all the time during idle then that is an indicator that the Needle is to high and sucking fuel from the main jet and it's no able to get a porper vacuum off the pilot citcuites and you'll need to get that adddress and make it idle prior to any of this! After all of that you check the AFR at WOT now you play with the main jetting and if it'sto rich them go down a little in size and take your readings again.

The main reason it's done on a Dyno is so you will be able to see where you make the most HP and Torque at the SAFEST AFR, sometimes a bike can make 3 or 5 more HP but it starts going so lean it will burn up the piston very fast even though yes it feels faster too but it won't last. Sometimes some guys will tune on the Lean side because they tend to make a little more power as I said before but usually that is bikes that are strictly drag race bikes and only run the engines for 300 FT and then kill the engine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts