Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasnt there a thread about this a while back? cant find it.

bottom line is my friend has an 06ER trx and believes his starter clutch is out.
he moved, so cant say if he recieved a recall letter.

what yr was the recall for?

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
allright.

since i dont have an ER.

if his bike isnt covered by the recall. is this a fix that id be able to do? or is there special tools only the dealer has.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
It is a pretty simple fix... You don't need any special tools. You don't need the flywheel puller... And you don't need the special tool to take off the balancer shaft.

The starter clutch assembly and the primary drive gears go on the crank.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
-]
it is covered he can take it to any authorized honda dealer. I had the same problem but they fixed it with no issues.[/b]

working good ever since??

·
Registered
270 Posts
ya i have had no issues at all. They replaced a few other things that where recalled also. Its worth it to bring it in and get it looked at

·
Admin
2,546 Posts
I received a recall letter a good bit ago as well. There was an expiration date or something like that for I think August first.

The only problem with bringing your bike into the Honda shop is in my area those guys are idiots and when you bring your bike in there it can come out all jakced up. I'd rather just ask them to supply the parts and I'll do the work myself.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I received a recall letter a good bit ago as well. There was an expiration date or something like that for I think August first.

The only problem with bringing your bike into the Honda shop is in my area those guys are idiots and when you bring your bike in there it can come out all jakced up. I'd rather just ask them to supply the parts and I'll do the work myself.[/b]
X2. I will NEVER bring mine to a dealer again... I know more about the 450r than they do. It is a joke.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I bought my 07 er about 4 weeks ago. The recall was long before that so should I assume the dealership did the recall on my bike while they had it?

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
I bought my 07 er about 4 weeks ago. The recall was long before that so should I assume the dealership did the recall on my bike while they had it?[/b]
i doubt that.. my 07 is fine but my buddies 07 took a poo on him

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
check within your vin if u have the recall to be done within the links i have given,

also to note, a easy way to see if the quad you have bought has had the recall done for the starter gear, the first digit of your frame vin by the bumper, there should be a punch mark on top of the first number on the vin, this means the recall for the starter has been performed, and there is no need to do one.

CAUTION: becuase this update is made, does not in anyway mean the starting procedure is different, the starter can again take a poop on you! the recall is for a reduction gear, the new reduction gear takes more of the hit from a kickback, but will still give some shock to the starter clutch or the sprags. Even with the recall, do not give throttle during cranking, dont hold the starter bu tton for extended periods of time, keep your tranny oil to the top level. also check your valve clearances and decomp every now and then

·
Registered
24 Posts
i have an 07 er which had the recall done before it was even shipped from honda and a year later even with being good about the starting procedures it took a crap on me almost exactly a month after my buddies 06 did. our local dealer wanted to charge him to replace it they said it wasnt warrantied and the part cost around 135 i think and it took us about 2 hours to change and the only thing i can say was a pain was one of the clutch basket bolts broke it came out easy with a reverse drill bit but still a pain when mine went it was covered under recall for the reduction gear so they replace both gears and so far so good no problems since its been about 3 months so far but im still looking to convert to a kick start
[attachment=31571:good_air.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
761 Posts
Oh crap, I never did the recall! I just looked at my notice and it says by Aug 1 2008. Oops looks like I won't be getting that done. I would be kinda nervous to have the dealer screw around with my bike anyway. I just hope my starter lasts!

Grey

1 - 17 of 17 Posts