Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bikes starting to get too much axle play. I'm thinking of making it easy on myself and ordering the carrier as an assembly, rather than struggle w/the old bearings. I've looked around but, the amazon/ebay low ends look weak, and lonestar and others seem a little high, any suggestions welcomed.

·
Super Moderator
5,532 Posts
Dealers choice really.

If you like the OEM carrier, want to save a couple bucks, and/or you have a decent shop press in your garage - it's not hard to press the old bearings out and press some new ones in.

I will say that I've used several of the low-buck eBay ones over the years that come ready to go w/ dual-row bearings and all without any issues whatsoever. That said, I don't do MX or anything high-flying :)

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,352 Posts
Rebuilding the stock carrier is not very hard at all. In fact, I do them regularly and I don’t even use a press. All Balls offer a kit that is supposedly an “upgraded” bearing kit, I’ve used them a few times with good success. I use the seals that come with the kit, but they don’t seem quite as nice as the OEM seals, but they seem to hold up ok.

I tend to stay away from that cheap eBay junk myself. I would hate to have a cheap bearing fail me on a ride 20 miles from camp. But to each his own.

Also, make sure that your axle nut is torqued properly before assuming that it’s the carrier that’s failing. Usually play is from the nut not being tight. When the bearings in the carrier go they usually just get stiff and noisy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rebuilding the stock carrier is not very hard at all. In fact, I do them regularly and I don’t even use a press. All Balls offer a kit that is supposedly an “upgraded” bearing kit, I’ve used them a few times with good success. I use the seals that come with the kit, but they don’t seem quite as nice as the OEM seals, but they seem to hold up ok.

I tend to stay away from that cheap eBay junk myself. I would hate to have a cheap bearing fail me on a ride 20 miles from camp. But to each his own.

Also, make sure that your axle nut is torqued properly before assuming that it’s the carrier that’s failing. Usually play is from the nut not being tight. When the bearings in the carrier go they usually just get stiff and noisy.
Dealers choice really.

If you like the OEM carrier, want to save a couple bucks, and/or you have a decent shop press in your garage - it's not hard to press the old bearings out and press some new ones in.

I will say that I've used several of the low-buck eBay ones over the years that come ready to go w/ dual-row bearings and all without any issues whatsoever. That said, I don't do MX or anything high-flying :)
Gotcha, I ride maybe once a month for about 30 min or so. I had purchased the good Honda axle nut wrenches awhile back. After reading Hoser's reply I'll make sure the axle nuts tight first. I'll look into the All Balls upgrade kit. Thanx guys!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts