Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has ever wrapped their radiator hose in the heat reflective tape or in my case exhaust wrap? I have some exhaust no idea what brand but it seems like the bend is further out than what I've seen from others and it has burned through my radiator hose before. Since then I've wrapped the exhaust itself but I was wondering if doing so to the radiator hose is fine and if anyone has done it. Wasn't really sure if its doable since the wrap is made of fibers that might ruin the hose?

Also before its mentioned yes the exhaust is fully tightened down and cant be adjust much of anything without touching and burning the air box.
Shoe Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Hood

·
Registered
2006 trx 450er. Stock motor, sparks full exhaust, elka legacy series shocks, and many more boltons!!
721 Posts
You’re right that is close, just looked at mine and it’s much further down and away. I have heat wrap on my exhaust too. I’ve never put it on rubber hoses, but I wouldn’t recommend it. You can buy heat shield tape at your local autoparts store . And Home Depot I believe. I would wrap hose in that. But then again not sure how the adhesive will play with rubber. might be better off getting a hose that doesn’t sit so close. Lol

·
Registered
2006 trx 450er. Stock motor, sparks full exhaust, elka legacy series shocks, and many more boltons!!
721 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has ever wrapped their radiator hose in the heat reflective tape or in my case exhaust wrap? I have some exhaust no idea what brand but it seems like the bend is further out than what I've seen from others and it has burned through my radiator hose before. Since then I've wrapped the exhaust itself but I was wondering if doing so to the radiator hose is fine and if anyone has done it. Wasn't really sure if its doable since the wrap is made of fibers that might ruin the hose?

Also before its mentioned yes the exhaust is fully tightened down and cant be adjust much of anything without touching and burning the air box. View attachment 153169
Did you Try flipping the hose? Put the water pump end on the radiator side.

·
Truck Yea
5,970 Posts
mine is like 1/4" away from my dasa headpipe and all i did was keep the protective sleeve over it. no issue for years

Reactions: Ryan94Wright

·
Registered
721 Posts
Yea I lied mine is super close too. Haven’t had an issue. But that’s with heat wrap, I’m sure if I took it off it would burn thru. So you should be good with the exhaust wrap too.
Motor vehicle Light Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mine is like 1/4" away from my dasa headpipe and all i did was keep the protective sleeve over it. no issue for years
My original hose with the sleeve is the one that burned through before the exhaust was wrapped. I'm thinking that the rubber had a bit of give it in letting it bend with the deset heat + exhaust pumping straight onto it and it just sizzled through and shot fluid everywhere mid ride

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I lied mine is super close too. Haven’t had an issue. But that’s with heat wrap, I’m sure if I took it off it would burn thru. So you should be good with the exhaust wrap too.
Hopefully it fine. Going out to the dunes next month and if it burns through again I have extra hoses and will wrap it in the reflective tape first to have a layer between the rubber then put exhaust wrap over that and tie it down. its just annoying having to replace hoses and so much coolant.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts