Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the desert, have riden my bike hard and have never heard the fan come on. I've heard everybody elses, but not mine. My temp light has not come on either, so, is it just a great cooling system with an amazingly quiet fan, or should I take it to the shop?

·
Registered
733 Posts
it took me five seperate riding trips before i actually caught my fan running. my light has never come on either. the fan is hard to hear and since we have no battery, it stops running when you kill the motor. probably nothing wrong with your bike. mine only comes on when i am doing lots of SLOW woods riding and short (first gear) climbs. i have also been riding in 90+ degrees lately (florida).

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by RadDad450r@Jun 21 2004, 10:23 AM
I live in the desert, have riden my bike hard and have never heard the fan come on. I've heard everybody elses, but not mine. My temp light has not come on either, so, is it just a great cooling system with an amazingly quiet fan, or should I take it to the shop?
mine never came on for the longest time either...but the older it gets, the more it will run...sort of speak....mine runs alot now...specially if the motor is covered in mud.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by RedDogg@Jun 21 2004, 10:52 AM
it took me five seperate riding trips before i actually caught my fan running.  my light has never come on either.  the fan is hard to hear and since we have no battery, it stops running when you kill the motor.  probably nothing wrong with your bike.  mine only comes on when i am doing lots of SLOW woods riding and short (first gear) climbs.  i have also been riding in 90+ degrees lately (florida).
my fan keeps running with the motor off.....I think they have some kind of capacitor in there or something...but my fan runs with the machine off...we were just talking about that yesterday....

·
Registered
529 Posts
How is it possible that the fan can run with the motor off? I've had my fan running at the time I've killed the motor, and the fan shuts of along with the motor.

My fan barely ever comes on, I checked to see if it even worked and it does. I let the bike idle for about 5 minutes and she kicked on.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by pbell75@Jun 21 2004, 11:08 AM
How is it possible that the fan can run with the motor off?  I've had my fan running at the time I've killed the motor, and the fan shuts of along with the motor. 

My fan barely ever comes on, I check to see if it even works and it does.  I let the bike idle for about 5 minutes and she kicked on.
trust me, mine was running for about 1 min after I shut my engine off yesterday....how it works is there is a capacitor somewhere that stores power, and it uses that power for the fan....it uses this same capacitor along with a voltage requlator to power the headlight...thats why the headlight does not get brighter of dimmer with the rpm's of the engine...If you notice, our light stays a solid bright....even at idle....most quads with no battery, the headlight will dim and get brighter with the engine RPM's.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
There is a capcitor up under the hood, it appears that it is only hooked up to the lights but I am sure it effects more. I removed mine when I removed teh taillight, but I need to put it back on, it was acting weird and the lights were very dim.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Originally posted by pbell75@Jun 21 2004, 12:08 PM
How is it possible that the fan can run with the motor off?  I've had my fan running at the time I've killed the motor, and the fan shuts of along with the motor. 

My fan barely ever comes on, I checked to see if it even worked and it does.  I let the bike idle for about 5 minutes and she kicked on.
Same here...maybe it has something to do with whether you had your lights on or off at the time :huh:

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by TrX450rKiD+Jun 21 2004, 01:44 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-pbell75
@Jun 21 2004, 12:08 PM

My fan barely ever comes on, I checked to see if it even worked and it does.  I let the bike idle for about 5 minutes and she kicked on.
Same here...maybe it has something to do with whether you had your lights on or off at the time :huh: [/b]
no, the fan will continue to run until the temp of the engine drops below a certain degree. then the fan will shut off...

·
Registered
733 Posts
ok, for those interested i always refer to the service manual when something is in question. i can't post the wiring diagram, but here is my translation.

when bike is running...

-red wire is ALWAYS hot. it goes to condenser(capacitor) and to ignition switch.

-blk wire is hot if ignition switch is in ON position (red & blk closed... grn & blk/whi open) and any circuit with blk wire is then hot (lights & brake lts, cooling fan motor, coolant temp indicator, carburetor heater).

-grn wire is common ground.

you can keep motor running without closing red to blk if you DO NOT have an ignition switch but the things mentioned above will not work.

the ignition coil, tps, ignition pulse generator, ect, and icm are all wired seperate from the ignition switch and will work without one.

the only reason the motor turns off when you turn OFF the ignition switch is because the grn & blk/whi wires become closed thus grounding your ign coil circuit. just like using your "kill" switch.

if you stop "kill" your motor but leave your ignition switch ON, the fan may run depending on how much energy is still stored in the condenser as long as the temp of the coolant is high enough.

if you stop your motor using the ignition switch, the fan cannot run.

sorry for jumping the gun in my earlier post about the battery. trx450rlude absolutely correct!

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
So...let me get this straight. If I kill my engine by hitting the little red kill switch, my fan will also turn off. But, if I do it by using my key, the fan will still run? If this is the case, it makes sense because my key is under my hood and always stays on, so I always kill it with the red switch. Or do I have this whole thing backwards?

·
Registered
263 Posts
i think you might have it backwards kid(i think)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Originally posted by TrX450rKiD@Jun 21 2004, 05:47 PM
So...let me get this straight.  If I kill my engine by hitting the little red kill switch, my fan will also turn off.  But, if I do it by using my key, the fan will still run?  If this is the case, it makes sense because my key is under my hood and always stays on, so I always kill it with the red switch.  Or do I have this whole thing backwards?
i knew that was TMI! sorry...

you do have it backwards. key ON = fan ON & key OFF = fan OFF

if you kill the motor w/o using key... ex: stall or kill switch then fan can still run if motor is hot enough (at least for a moment). sorry about all the other [email protected] just put that in for people who might find it usefull. :wacko:

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Thanks for looking that up reddog. I was just guessing on the way it worked becasue I now a little bit about electronics and such. ...But that makes perfect since because I never shut the key off. I always use the kill switch, or just dump the clutch....good info though thanks. :D

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by KGB@Jun 22 2004, 12:12 AM
I removed the tail light because its ugly. I like em clean and plain.
I always remove my tailight so I dont break it. Where i ride I dont need one. But when I go to a park or something where you need one, then I will put it back on just for that ride....I dont want to break it for no reason....a grab bar is cheaper then a grab bar and a new tailight....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imo, i thought the tail light was pretty cool lookin', with the LED's and all. It's sure is friggin' brite, but I don't think I'd wanna be behind me at night on a dusty trail.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Don't you ride with other people? How do they know when your stopping. My friend just bought my 465ex and that was the only way to teach him not to hit the back of me. I told him to pay attention to my break light!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts