Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey , I will be going to a track this coming thursday ( hopefully). and was wondering about some tips to help me (come on mx riders ). like how should I take the jumps ,turns ,other riders ect ,ect .every bit of help is good . thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
You've never ridden a track before?

Well, take it easy early on. Give it a little while and then start jumping and progressing up. If you know the basics of jumping and such then it should be pretty easy for you depending on track difficulty.

Corners: Watch what others are doing. In racing though, the inside will nearly always win unless there's a big jump right after it. Try both and see which one you like.

Jumps: Again, watch others. Don't try to go too big until you're comfortable and be fairly cautious until you finally get the balls to go all out. Don't preload the suspension until you've learned you always land short and then try that. Try riding over most of them and ride the whoops if there are any, fairly slow for awhile.

Other riders: Stay out of their way! I can't stress that enough. Every time I ride a track there's idiots on the track right in the best lines going slow or BACKWARDS! Don't be one of those! Just stay out of their way though. If you get up the skills after awhile then try this. Let one by and then try stayinig w/him around the track. Don't get right on him incase he wrecks, but stay close enough and see how good you can really do. Might surprise yourself.

Ect: Just try and have some fun. If you're pissing yourself off then you'll go slower. Just keep trying something if you're not doing so hot on it. And once agian, have fun! That's why we all buy the quads in the first place.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow thanks schmitty , thats a ton of info . B)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks to you too psychosis thats good info as well!! I got the basics of jumping down pat. at the dunes I was catching an easy 15ft-25ft distance and handled the quad very well. I will be sure to stay out of other racers way!!! I dont want to be that stupid one,.!!

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
You also need to practice on hitting the gas when your back end comes up to high.
and if your front end is coming up pratice on either hitting the front brake or (the hard one) pull the clutch in and hit the back brake(you need allot more concentration to do that!!! 02. worth!! B)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Rico'450R@Aug 24 2004, 02:24 PM
You also need to practice on hitting the gas when your back end comes up to high.
and also pratice on either hitting the front brake or (the hard one) pull the clutch in and hit the back brake(you need allot more concentration to do that!!! 02. worth!! B)
lol

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Rico'450R@Aug 24 2004, 05:29 PM
I've seen allot of people that don't know how to use there brakes get into allot of trouble! B)
yes as soon as you reach air grab the breaks, :D

·
Registered
391 Posts
Originally posted by Fender@Jul 29 2004, 08:19 PM
Hey , I will be going to a track this coming thursday ( hopefully). and was wondering about some tips to help me (come on mx riders ). like how should I take the jumps ,turns ,other riders ect ,ect .every bit of help is good . thanks
what track did/are you going to? Et, Speedworld etc.? Just curious. If you go to ET it is a very technical track with absolutely no passing lanes with several blind jumps. The track is smooth and fast but be carefull on some of their jumps. They tend to throw you a little sideways. Speedworld is a quad friendly track with areas to pass and jumps that are not a severe as ET. You'll probably like Speedworld better. The TRX does real well on the track even with stock suspension.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by quadboy+Aug 24 2004, 10:41 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Fender
@Jul 29 2004, 08:19 PM
what track did/are you going to? Et, Speedworld etc.? Just curious. If you go to ET it is a very technical track with absolutely no passing lanes with several blind jumps. The track is smooth and fast but be carefull on some of their jumps. They tend to throw you a little sideways. Speedworld is a quad friendly track with areas to pass and jumps that are not a severe as ET. You'll probably like Speedworld better. The TRX does real well on the track even with stock suspension. [/b]
yes its speedworld

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by desperadoracing@Sep 8 2004, 06:20 PM
yo u guys AZ i heard speedworld and et so jc    and also would a 450r be good for whiplash racing or would a yfz450 be better (since u guys are az peeps)
well it depends if you want kickstart or e-start, soft seat or hard seat . the power they have is about equal but if you get the 450R then you need to get the hrc (full kit). IMO -I like the honda more because the easy kicker, better ergonomics, honda reliability and I personally think its a better made bike.
but it all comes down to what you like .

Bidgenut- the video doesnt work :ph34r:

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
It does for me, try doing an update on your windows media player and then it should work.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
that was one sweet video!!!! thanks BidgeNut

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by desperadoracing@Sep 14 2004, 08:01 PM
i was brought up to beleive that no bike is worth racin if it aint got a kick start. Thats true to. haha thanks for the info guys
Ya, the 250R is two stroke and kick start! How many people raced that machine!! B)

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are some great ideas here like watching what others do and taking it easy at first. Also, don't be afraid to go up to people and ask them for advice. Pick their brain, if they don't give up any advice find someone else who will. It has worked for me plus its a good way to make new friends.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts