Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today i talked to a couple of engine builders and was told by one of them (who's name will not be told because i want facts and no drama) that c12 was no good that pump gas was just as good. he told me i need to switch to u4.2. can some one fill me in on the differences and details between these two fuels. i know that c12 is 10 a gallon and u4.2 is 11.75 a gallon, so it costs more but is oxygenated. do oxygenated fuels make more power that non-oxygenated? do you have any special things to do when running oxygenated fuels?

thanks for any help in advance,
seth

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I have no input to the question or any advice or anything BUT.. in a QUAD Magazine I have around here somewhere theres a big write up on racing gases and additives and how/if they add power and what to use them with etc. You can probably find it on their website or something. Im pretty sure it addresses everything about oxygenated and all that mumbojumbo... If by the end of the week you cant find it and really need it I might be willing to scan it for you if I get the chance

·
Registered
391 Posts
I thought that U4.2 was only like 100 octane

·
Registered
391 Posts
U4.2TM
The latest generation of our U4 based fuels, this fuel is a direct pour-in replacement for pump gas, with little to no jetting changes required - +2 main jets and +2 pilot jets at the most. Makes power equivalent to U4 with no sticky residue and a less pungent odor. Designed for stock and modified 2-stroke and 4-stroke applications. U4.2 passes AMA amateur fuel rules and is perfect for club level racing, CCS, WERA and AFM. U4.2 makes up to 6% more power than pump gas.

• Oxygenated: Yes
• Motor Octane: 102

C12
The best all around racing fuel made. Recommended for CRs below 15:1, satisfying the needs of 75% of today's race engines. One of the winningest fuels in racing history, including Modified Tour, GNN, D.I.R.T., Indy Lights, NHRA, AMA as well as other local and national championships across the U.S. and around the world.

• Color: Green
• Motor Octane: 108

Just information off the vp website......I wasnt sure what fuel to run with my setup at first but when I went to buy fuel in Opelousas at Doucets speed these were my only choices other than methanol....So i got 5 gallons of the C12

I also would like to hear more opinions about C12

·
Registered
344 Posts
IMO, I wouldn't run U4.2 for the cost, and extra work it takes, for only a 1 hp gain. I've had to fix several chambers and repolish them from bikes that have ran u4.2, C12 on the other hand I've ran in many bikes/ cars and haven't had problems yet

·
Registered
391 Posts
Why did you have to repolish

·
Registered
260 Posts
u4.2 has too low of an octane rating for your 14.25/1 piston. It is better suited in my opinion for mild engine applications and you would have to rejet when you switch as the oxygenated fuels can be a little tricky to tune with.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
U4.2 is not to low of an octane for 14:1 motors.

U4.2 and C12 make similar power with the edge going to U4.2 by about 1-1.5HP. The jetting on the 2 is so close that I have several MX riders that practice on C12 and switch to U4.2 for races. U4.2 does not gum up like U4 does, so no need to purge.

If you can get U4.2 for 11.75 than run it. Its normally 14-15 a gallon.

But, if your going to run an Oxy fuel, and dont ride super often, go straight for the MR9 or MR11.

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I usually burn between 5 to 10 gallons a week.

Are there any disadvantages to th u4.2?

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
has anyone else heard any bad things about c12?

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
556 Posts
i've never had a problem running c12, i also run sonoco supreme 112, its a little cheaper and higher octane @112. c12=108octane

·
Registered
556 Posts
and where are you in south La? in lafayette the fuel prices are...
sonoco 112 =$38/5 gal
c12 = $40/5gal
brand i cant remember but its 108 = $34/5gal

·
Registered
391 Posts
Guess I need to go to Lafayette to buy fuel....In Opelousas I paid 10$$/Gallon for C12 pretty high...If i could find some sunoco 112 i would give it a shot

·
Registered
556 Posts
Guess I need to go to Lafayette to buy fuel....In Opelousas I paid 10$$/Gallon for C12 pretty high...If i could find some sunoco 112 i would give it a shot[/b]
i get mine from robert's automotive on guilbeaux rd, they sell 4 different kinds of fuels including c12 and sonoco supreme 112

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i get mine from clausen's race shop just north of hammond on hwy 51.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts