Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rebuilt my quad with a stroker crank and a venom piston and its getting very hot, my jetting is 48s, 185m not sure about the needle but i dont think that has any thing to do with it, my fan is comming on alot more than i am used too. granted i didnt have this quad last year at this time so maybe i just p-noid. any suggestions

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
check your antifreeze? make sure there is enough, also make sure there isnt a clog in one the passages..[/b]

i am getting ready to switch to engine ice tonight when it cools off, its 102 right now with tornados in the counties around us, but i will check the hoses and lines when i get into it tonight

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
engine ice will not make your bike run cooler.

have you rode the bike? does it cool down as you go through the gears or its only hot sitting at idle.?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

have you rode the bike? does it cool down as you go through the gears or its only hot sitting at idle.?[/b]
it cools down some but not as much as i like to, i think its my jetting, may be to lean. When i had my yfz the fan never came on unless it was super hot, and when riding with a buddy on the same bike his fan is on less than mine. could the thermostat be bad if there is one?

·
Registered
3,557 Posts

have you rode the bike? does it cool down as you go through the gears or its only hot sitting at idle.?[/b]
it cools down some but not as much as i like to, i think its my jetting, may be to lean. When i had my yfz the fan never came on unless it was super hot, and when riding with a buddy on the same bike his fan is on less than mine. could the thermostat be bad if there is one?
[/b]
It is possible for the thermostat to malfunction. It's right behind the cover where the upper radiator hose clamps on to. Pull those three bolts out and the thermostat sits right there. Put it in hot water on the stove and see if it opens all the way.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
what copression are you running. 185 shouldn't be to lean. my 501 runs almost dead on at 170 i couldprobably run a 168. this is an 05 with a keihin not an fcr. IF it's running right and not rich it will have some more heat. Plus any time you increase your output it will increase the amoun of heat the engine produces.

Heat is the energy your engine is using to make power so you arelogically going to make more heat as out put increases.

I would make sure the bike is completly topped off with coolant. And if you are running on 90-100 degree days it will come on quite often.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
yea def check out the thermo... read the service manual on how to do it to the T.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok i installed a 50 pilot and and the fan did not seem to come on as much, i noticed the plug on the head was unhooked but i dont know if i did that when i was pulling the black head cover off. but thanks for all of the imput i will, know more after riding this weekend

1 - 9 of 9 Posts