Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out on the quad today and it shut off on me. When I went to restart it, it wouldn't turn over, I smelled a strong odor of gas, when I looked, it was pouring out of the overflow. I never got the quad started. What do i do guys??

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
what ^ he ^ said...

sometimes...if jumping real hard... this will happen w/o being a float issue.......

but if you were just riding......and gas started pouring out the overflow..... its either a stuck float.....or more likely.... some debris stuck under the needle/seat......

easy fix actually........

jmho.....me~

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry guys, i am a newbie here and just got my quad 1 month ago. i have no idea how to do this....any illustrations or help would be greatly appreciated...thanks

what ^ he ^ said...

sometimes...if jumping real hard... this will happen w/o being a float issue.......

but if you were just riding......and gas started pouring out the overflow..... its either a stuck float.....or more likely.... some debris stuck under the needle/seat......

jmho.....me~[/b]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry guys, i am a newbie here and just got my quad 1 month ago. i have no idea how to do this....any illustrations or help would be greatly appreciated...thanks

okay guys, i tapped on the side and bottom of the carb...problem solved, thanks!!

what ^ he ^ said...

jmho.....me~[/b]
[/b]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you can LIGHTLY tap on the bottom of the carb, where the bowl is to try and unstick the float.[/b]

WELL, I WENT TO RIDE TODAY. I TURNED ON THE GAS AND YOU GUESSED IT, GAS EVERYWHERE. i tried tapping on the carb, it stopped but started again when i began riding!!! What's next??

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
two choices...

first/easiest..... drain your fuel bowl..... completely.....then re-fill, and perform this procedure again...

if that doesnt clear out the debris/issue.....

then remove carb and clean......

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
two choices...

first/easiest..... drain your fuel bowl..... completely.....then re-fill, and perform this procedure again...

then remove carb and clean......[/b]

OKAY, i will drain the bowl and refill as suggested; but taking apart the carb and cleaning it is beyond my capabilities, so i hope this works, thank you..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
two choices...

OKAY, i will drain the bowl and refill as suggested; but taking apart the carb and cleaning it is beyond my capabilities, so i hope this works, thank you..
[/b]

I drained the carb 4 times completely, still fuel pouring from overflow.....If I tap on the carb a few times, it will stop. when I start the quad, it starts flowing again.....

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Take your time and you can do this yourself, it isn't hard at all. Just loosen the clamps that hold the carb to the intake boot and also the clamps for the airbox. You won't be able to move the carb very far because the throttle cable will still be attached along with the TPS (throttle position sensor) wire. But you should be able to get to the bottom of the carb. There's four screws holding the bottom of the carb (float bowl) on. Take the cover off and you'll see the float (plastic housings that move up and down with the fuel in the bowl, hence the word float. Clean the whole area with carb cleaner and make sure the float moves up and down without any binding. Once clean, reverse the steps. It sounds complicated but it's not. Give it a shot. BTW, what year is your quad?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Take your time and you can do this yourself, it isn't hard at all. Just loosen the clamps that hold the carb to the intake boot and also the clamps for the airbox. You won't be able to move the carb very far because the throttle cable will still be attached along with the TPS (throttle position sensor) wire. But you should be able to get to the bottom of the carb. There's four screws holding the bottom of the carb (float bowl) on. Take the cover off and you'll see the float (plastic housings that move up and down with the fuel in the bowl, hence the word float. Clean the whole area with carb cleaner and make sure the float moves up and down without any binding. Once clean, reverse the steps. It sounds complicated but it's not. Give it a shot. BTW, what year is your quad?[/b]

It is an '05, sorry...it is all stock, other then smaller sprocket up front, larger in rear. Kinda bums me out, since I only rode about 3 times this year. My quad is mint for the year. Is this problem normal?? Thank you all for your help, patience and input, it is greatly appreciated!!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im having this same problem with my 07 TRX450er Limited. You can tap it and it will stop. Start it, it will run fine. Shut it off and leave it awhile then turn the gas on and it starts flowing out the overflows. Im guessing that above statements would be the remedy for this.,

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
By leave it i ment for like a couple days 'en what not.[/b]

I had the quad to the shop before winter came. Had the carb dismantled and cleaned. Brought it home and rode once before winter. Yesterday I started it and gas started pouring from overflow AGAIN!!! How/why is this possible if the carb was dismantled/cleaned? What's to do next??

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts

I had the quad to the shop before winter came. Had the carb dismantled and cleaned. Brought it home and rode once before winter. Yesterday I started it and gas started pouring from overflow AGAIN!!! How/why is this possible if the carb was dismantled/cleaned? What's to do next??
[/b]
Do you have your airbox lid off and do you keep you filter oiled up? Depending on how you ride it you can suck something into your carb which may get the float stuck..... have you tried doing what bueller said and taking the float bowl off? its not hard but if you really dont wanna then go back to the shop that cleaned it for you last year and be like "Ive only ridden this thing once since yall cleaned it for me and it is leaking gas. Please fix it for me" and they oughta do it for free if not then they blow :thumbup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Airbox lid is on, keep filter clean and oiled...dunno what the problem.....has me pretty disgusted though. Currently lost job and dont have funds to go to shop with it....

[/b]
Do you have your airbox lid off and do you keep you filter oiled up? Depending on how you ride it you can suck something into your carb which may get the float stuck..... have you tried doing what bueller said and taking the float bowl off? its not hard but if you really dont wanna then go back to the shop that cleaned it for you last year and be like "Ive only ridden this thing once since yall cleaned it for me and it is leaking gas. Please fix it for me" and they oughta do it for free if not then they blow :thumbup:
[/b]

·
Registered
2 Posts
two choices...

[/b]
I also just bought a 450r and it started to run horrible, so I read on here people say to take carb off & clean. I have no clue what they were talking about since I really have not worked on engines before, other then changing filters and spark plugs. I downloaded the service manual and watched 3 movies on youtube and did it. It was simple the videos were great, I had it done in no time. I could easily do it again without watching them. Now it runs great. If I could do it you could. Here's the link's. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w60t4yEkYZI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0NNk7tOiDA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdjdHZsxgNA

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
two choices...

[/b]
I also just bought a 450r and it started to run horrible, so I read on here people say to take carb off & clean. I have no clue what they were talking about since I really have not worked on engines before, other then changing filters and spark plugs. I downloaded the service manual and watched 3 movies on youtube and did it. It was simple the videos were great, I had it done in no time. I could easily do it again without watching them. Now it runs great. If I could do it you could. Here's the link's. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w60t4yEkYZI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0NNk7tOiDA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdjdHZsxgNA
[/b]

Welcome to the site...... and great post!

Especially for your first one!... :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts