Honda TRX 450R banner

pro design kill switch

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  hondarider05 
#1 ·
i just bought a kill switch for my 450r. i was wondering if anybody knows which wire is the coil wire and which is the gound wire at the key switch. you would think pro design would have sent a wiring diagram, but all the sent was so simple instructions to hook to coil wire and hook to ground wire. i went to the shop were i bought the bike and they told me to bring the bike to them. they want 75 dollars to install the kill switch. ( i see that happing) i cant wait till i get my hands on the factory service manual.

#2 ·
I just installed one on my R this weekend and these instructions is what I used. It works great. It was simple

1) Trace the wires form the stop switch (mounted on handle bars) to the white connector mounted to the left hand side of frame.

Note: The wires from the stop switch splits off (2) directions, (1) set to the head light assembly, and the other to the (white plastic connector).

2) Look for the black wire with the white tracer.

3) Splice, connect, or solder (1) wire from the kill switch to the black wire (w/ the white tracer) on the stop switch side of the connector.

4) Then ground the other wire from the kill switch to the frame.

That's all, your finished.

You can do it.

#3 ·
Originally posted by RedRider@Apr 7 2004, 08:26 AM
I just installed one on my R this weekend and these instructions is what I used. It works great. It was simple

1) Trace the wires form the stop switch (mounted on handle bars) to the white connector mounted to the left hand side of frame.

Note: The wires from the stop switch splits off (2) directions, (1) set to the head light assembly, and the other to the (white plastic connector).

2) Look for the black wire with the white tracer.

3) Splice, connect, or solder (1) wire from the kill switch to the black wire (w/ the white tracer) on the stop switch side of the connector.

4) Then ground the other wire from the kill switch to the frame.

That's all, your finished.

You can do it.
I wired mine up this evening and followed these instructions. Check and see if you get shocked when the quad is running and you have your hand on the handlebars while touching the bare side of the kill switch. Not the side the tether cord slides into but the metal side. Mine did this but only when I had one hand on the handlebar and the other hand touching the metal end of the kill switch. If I took my hand off the handlebar then it did not shock me when I touched the metal end of the kill switch. I said the hell with this and wired the hot wire from the kill switch directly to the positive wire on the ignition coil. This should solve the problem but to late to fire the quad up so I'll post my results tomorrow. Please let me know if anyone else has this same issue. I have seen these instructions in several sites and I am not sure they are correct. Although the kill switch does work when connected the way the instructions tell you to do so, it still will shock you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.