Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my GT Thunder linkage installed this week. I had to use about 1/4 inch worth of spacers on my skid to clear the new shock linkage.

This is after grinding off about 2/3 of the linkage guard tab on the skid. With the stock linkage in place the tab was contacting the linkage. I should have checked this earlier. :(

It is now almost impossible to adjust the rebound dampening with the skid in place.

Oh well....I like the new ride so far...wish I didn't have to work this weekend!!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I rode with it this weekend. It was a totally different bike!!! :D

There is a section of whoops around 1/8 mile long that I could barely do in second gear the last time I rode. This time the whoops were tore up and really choppy, I could run them in high 3rd gear, probably 4th if I was in better shape!

Overall I'm glad I spent the money! Two thumbs up!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, new to this board. Do you have a link to this GT Thunder? Is it worth just having the factory suspension fixed up or is it more cost effective to just swap all the stock stuff and replace with new arms and shocks???

Thanks a bunch. I am like a sponge, used to be an extreme competition rock crawler, now back on bikes and loving it! (used to be a two wheel guy, now 4, better for my knees!)

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Welcome to the site Jalapeno! I've heard a lot of good things about it, I haven't heard 1 person dogging on its performance yet.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by clutch@Aug 20 2004, 08:18 PM
I got my GT Thunder linkage installed this week.  I had to use about 1/4 inch worth of spacers on my skid to clear the new shock linkage. 

This is after grinding off about 2/3 of the linkage guard tab on the skid.  With the stock linkage in place the tab was contacting the linkage.  I should have checked this earlier. :(

It is now almost impossible to adjust the rebound dampening with the skid in place.

Oh well....I like the new ride so far...wish I didn't have to work this weekend!!
Did you just buy the linkage, or did you have them do something to the shock to? What linkage did you buy?....thanks.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought the first linkage on the page and had him revalve the shock. It took about a week (his turn around was next day, the rest of the time was shipping).

It cost $258 with shipping. I think for the time being this was WAY more economical than spending upwards of 4K for new suspension (if I'm gonna do it I'm gonna do it right!).

Once again....for the money I am very satisfied. My buddies have rode the bike and agree!

·
Registered
986 Posts
hey when you installed your linkage did you have any problems getting it to line up
is there a trick or a certain order you put the links on? i can't get mine on to save myself

·
Registered
936 Posts
i installed mine today, it took maybe 5 minutes. all i did was put it on, i cant say it any simpler then that. i had no problem what so ever with mine. i cant even begin to explain how nice this new setup is, and the best thing about it, is i havent even touched the compression or rebound adjustment, so when i get around to tuning it a little, it should be perfect for me.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had no problems with the install. The back of the bike was hanging from my garage rafters by a strap. The biggest pain was trying to get my torque wrench on the hardware. Also I spent alot of time with the skidplate fitment. Nothing is rubbing though.... B)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am hearing that if you put on a 1+ swing-arm it will balance it out better(less push/better air time) but will it work with the GT Thunder set-up? When is his new design coming out with axis/elka shock combo?? Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts