Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike runs great, but pops a little on deceleration. Does this mean that it is slightly lean on the main jet. I have a full yoshi comp system and a stage 2 hot cam. I am running stock pilot and needle with a 175 main.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
mine does the same and im running a dmc with stage 2 cam, but a 180 main in a dyno jet kit, but it had only done it once i ran 87, i no i no, thats bad, and im thinking thats y it did it, cuz it never did it before, but i got stuck in gettin reg cuz where i was they didnt sell 91 or higher, but i believe that my prob... i hope.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
switched to a 180 and still pops a little I will have to go to town to pick a bigger jet up, was considering changing out the stock needle but I don't think I will have to bike runs great just pops a little, I think I can solve the problem with a bigger jet.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Where are you guys from? What I'm saying is if you are from a place that has a lot of humidity then the air in which you live is heavier therefore you'll need to go down on your jet size. MY Raptor used to pop at the dunes this past winter, I took it in to have it checked out, I was told I was running way too rich. This is just my experience and yours may be different.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by quadboy@Sep 17 2004, 07:05 PM
Where are you guys from? What I'm saying is if you are from a place that has a lot of humidity then the air in which you live is heavier therefore you'll need to go down on your jet size.  MY Raptor used to pop at the dunes this past winter, I took it in to have it checked out, I was told I was running way too rich. This is just my experience and yours may be different.
This is true. If you want to get a true reading. Then run the bike hard and then check your plug!! Checking the plug is the best way to get a good reading!! :D

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
im in ontario, southern ontario, any one in michigan with a pipe and open airbox, i was wondering wat main jet your runnin ? i have a fyno jet kit too.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Originally posted by dodgeram@Sep 17 2004, 01:53 PM
Bike runs great, but pops a little on deceleration.  Does this mean that it is slightly lean on the main jet.  I have a full yoshi comp system and a stage 2 hot cam.  I am running stock pilot and needle with a 175 main.
if it pops on deceleration, that means your thumb is off the gas right? if that is the case, your slow circuit (pilot jet/fuel screw setting) could be lean. adjust your fuel screw or replace your stock 48 pilot with a 50 pilot and leave your mixture at stock. a 50 pilot and a 180-185 main should be good for any full after market pipe and airbox lid removed or HRC lid mod... as long as you are between sea level - 3000 ft. this comes from my experience only and may or may not solve your problem. you may also want to install the HRC needle. if you don't have it, just move your stock needle clip down one to the 4th postion. this will adjust your needle position higher and richen your fuel mixture.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
so ur sayin i should adjust my air screw, could this have loosened at little bit since i have originally adjusted it?

·
Registered
733 Posts
actually, the more i think about it, the more important i think it is to adjust your stock needle height when your motor is breathing more. make sure you move that clip down or you may be lean no matter what other settings you change. i was running my needle clip in the 4th position for months before i installed the HRC needle. it was recommended by the manufacturer of my pipe.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Plug chopping (reading the plug) is almost useless with todays fuel and the 4 stroke motors. everything can throw it off. I'm sure its fairly accurate for idle, and ok for WOT, but anything in guesswork. Riding around for a while, fast and slow, and then shutting it off and checking it will give you no indication as to where you are on the jetting. To check it at a certain idle, you need to run it for 20-30 seconds at the same exact speed according to which fuel circuit you want to check, pull the clutch, kill the engine and coast to a stop, then check the plug. It won't be totally accurate, but it will give you an idea.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Good posts reddog! I was thinking the same thing with the air/fuel screw.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
My popping is close to gone, i think it was just the low octane fuel cuzing it theres a mi xof 91 and 87 so it does it a bitm but one i drain it and have pure 91 ill be good again.

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
reddogg is on the right track.

popping on chopped throttle decel is caused by a lean idle fuel mix, (screw or pilot jet). when you close the throttle from high revs the intake tract goes so lean that the mix doesn't ignite with each power stroke. after several too lean no fires, you get a one too rich pop that continues a burn into the now partly fueled mix that went unlit originally into your header pipe

richen up the circuits that deliver fuel at cose to closed throttle positions and the mix will remain rich enough to ignite reliably under chopped throttle conditions and prevent ignitable remnant charges from entering your header.

............mixxer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts