Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I finally found a suitable atv for my youngest son. The 80's, 90's, and 100cc's where just to small. the only other one that was suitable was the blaster, but I dont want 2 stroke, and he dont want a clutch. this one is 4 stroke, 200cc, and automatic. It is a little on the heavy side, but so are all Polaris's. its weighing in at a wooping 392 pounds. ...

Do you guys think this might be a OK little quad, heres a pic and specs, thanks.

Rugged, 4-stroke, air-cooled Polaris 200 engine.
World’s best-selling automatic transmission (CVT).
Tough, low-maintenance shaft drive.
Dual A-arm front suspension with 7.0 in/17.6 cm of travel.
Tough Swing-arm rear suspension with 6.5 in/16.5 cm of travel.
Split front and rear hand brakes with auxillary rear foot brake.
Forward/Neutral/Reverse.
Electric start with kickstart backup.
Full floorboards for easy use.
Lightweight, easy to handle.
Full skid protection.
MSRP 2,999

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Originally posted by desert_450r@Aug 25 2004, 04:26 AM
That looks cool dude ! --- Only blue? --- I like the shaft drive ...

Looks like a new mid range model for that tough age ...
I cant find what other colors, if any. its got plenty of suspension travel its also got reverse and neutral.

I agree, we need more quads like this to choose from for those "tough ages"

·
Registered
391 Posts
ow old is your son? Can you turn down the throttle? how big is he. 400lbs landing on a small kid that can't lift it off of him might be something to think about in case that does happen.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
wow that thing is heavy, but I saw one at the polaris dealership and it was pretty big . I think your son would love it B)

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Originally posted by kagler@Aug 25 2004, 10:59 AM
what about the honda 250?  how does that compare?
yea, the 250ex might be worth looking at.

·
Registered
328 Posts
What do they do Pour Lead down the frame rails in that thing. 392 Yowsers.

Yeah if your in that leauge you might as well go with a Honda 250EX or a Suzuki Z250. I think the honda won the shootouts. But both are bulletproof, and an absolute blast to ride. Even for bigger fellas.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you guys are right about going with a 250, but they are a little more then I was wanting to spend. I didnt even want to spend 3000, but I will. what do you guys think of the Kymco 250?

·
Registered
273 Posts
would your prefrence be to buy new? Around my location, I have seen used 250s for 3 or less.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Hey lude since you work on your own stuff like me mabey you should just look into getting a used 250 that already has nerfs, different tires, ect, ect. because you will probably be spending money on that stuff anyways. That and the little 250's run for ever! My buddies little brother has one and beats it to death and it still runs fine.

As for the Kymco I'm not sure the specifics on it but a lot of these off name companies usually don't handle to well nor do the have much for suspension from my experences. You might try to find out what kind of motor it is too, a lot of times companies like Kymco get their engines from the big companies like honda or yamaha because it saves them money because they don't have to build the assembly line and the big companies don't mind because they make their money too. A lot of the time the patents on the big companies engines has expired so they are happy to still make money off of them instead of another company just making their own.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
For that kind of money you should look at the 250ex like lukester said. that way your kid can grow into it. $3,499

ENGINE
Engine Type 229cc air-cooled OHV longitudinally mounted single-cylinder four-stroke
Bore and Stroke 68.5mm x 62.2mm
Carburetion 22mm piston-valve
Ignition CD with electronic advance
Starter Electric
DRIVE TRAIN
Clutch Automatic
Transmission Five-speed with reverse
Driveline Direct rear driveshaft
CHASSIS / SUSPENSION / BRAKES
Front Suspension Independent double-wishbone; 5.9-inch travel
Rear Suspension Swingarm with single shock; 5.7-inch travel
Front Brakes Dual hydraulic 174mm discs
Rear Brake Sealed mechanical drum
Front Tires 22 x 7-10 knobby
Rear Tires 22 x 10-9 knobby
DIMENSIONS
Length 68.3 inches
Width 41.8 inches
Height 42.2 inches
Wheelbase 44.3 inches
Seat Height 31.3 inches
Ground Clearance 5.9 inches
Turning Radius 9.2 feet
Dry Weight 349.0 pounds
Fuel Capacity 2.7 gallons, including 0.7-gallon reserve
Available Colors Red, Yellow
Model ID TRX250EX

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the main reason I was liking the Pheonix is cause he like the automatic...and it has reverse. Does the 250ex have reverse?....

nevermind, I see above that it does.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by TRX450rlude@Aug 27 2004, 01:04 AM
the main reason I was liking the Pheonix is cause he like the automatic...and it has reverse. Does the 250ex have reverse?....

nevermind, I see above that it does.
This bike also I think doesn't need you to pull in a clutch, just shift when ever you want! B)

·
Registered
215 Posts
i used to have a 250ex. its a real nice bike (No 450r though
) its a automatic clutch so when you need to switch gears all you do is shift with no cluch. Its good because it helps youngsters START to understand the concept of shifting and how the motor works. plus, you dont want to get a polaris (trust me on this one, i have a pred 500) you want honda reliability.and like rico said your kid can grow into it. Try abernathycycles.com they have an 05' for 3150.00 ( and 04' 450's for $5200!!) good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Go for it, you might also consider a used Polaris Trailblazer, that is what I started my son at and it is still used regularly by anyone that comes and rides on our land that doesn't have any experience. The automatics are great for beginners and the one brake lever operates all brakes, they are very safe to operate and the automatic makes it a no brainer for climbing hills and playing in the woods.

·
Registered
321 Posts
just thought of this bubt it's air cooled. a big reason y ppl bought a z instead of the ex (400's). just a thought but then the EX is a lil outdated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts