Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am just wondering exactly how much oil you guys put in your 06 450r.. i read the articles but have came up with nothing that i am looking for .. i just need like 3/4 of a quart a quart .. i my be a dumb ass because i can not figure out how to convert from one to the other.. i just want to be sure i get enuff in there and not to much .. thanks

·
Registered
11,022 Posts
just watch it on the sight glass until it hits the H marks then start it for a second, and turn it back off and fill it back up to the H

·
Registered
335 Posts
Take the bolt out of the right side case and fill'er up....when oil comes out of that hole put the bolt back in and shes good!!

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
do you have a manual? it tells you in there exactly how to do it.

fill it until it goes to H, start the quad, let it warm up,shut it off and then let it sit for about a minute or 2, then check the level. take the tranny fill screw off, by the timing inspection cover on the side of the case, fill the tranny until oil starts to come out of there, put the scew back on, heat up the quad a couple minutes let it sit for a minute or 2 and take the screw back out to see if it leaks out of the hole, if it does your good, if it doesnt add a little more.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thats what i did .. just making sure .. i had heard someone say that they always added alittle more for some reason.. i just didnt want to blow and seals ..... thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i changed the tranny side and it took almost the whole quart .. i know that isnt right... but i had almost emptyed out the whole quart before any oil came out the fill hole.. i have a 06 450r electric start.. but something is just not adding up.. i was tripping out on how much oil was going in before anything started coming out .. i am going to buy some more 80/85w and a freaking mixing cup so i know exactly how much is right .. i dont really feel like messing anything up before or during my ride this weekend...

·
Registered
550 Posts
do you have a manual? it tells you in there exactly how to do it.

fill it until it goes to H, start the quad, let it warm up,shut it off and then let it sit for about a minute or 2, then check the level. take the tranny fill screw off, by the timing inspection cover on the side of the case, fill the tranny until oil starts to come out of there, put the scew back on, heat up the quad a couple minutes let it sit for a minute or 2 and take the screw back out to see if it leaks out of the hole, if it does your good, if it doesnt add a little more.[/b]
i wouldn't let the motor fully warm up just in case there was a huge air pocket or something, you would want to starve the motor of oil, just a minute or two of idling is enough to build oil pressure and fill in any air space

·
Registered
550 Posts
well i changed the tranny side and it took almost the whole quart .. i know that isnt right... but i had almost emptyed out the whole quart before any oil came out the fill hole.. i have a 06 450r electric start.. but something is just not adding up.. i was tripping out on how much oil was going in before anything started coming out .. i am going to buy some more 80/85w and a freaking mixing cup so i know exactly how much is right .. i dont really feel like messing anything up before or during my ride this weekend...[/b]
both engine and transmission will take almost a full quart. the engine side is more critical, just check the sight glass with the engine off and make sure that oil is at or near the H mark. if the transmission oil has already come out of the over flow hole then you are good. as long an neither side has over a quart in it, you really can't overfill them

1 - 11 of 11 Posts