Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question might have been brought up but I am installing a JE piston 13.1 to 1 ratio with a Sparks agressive cam. Is any one running this set-up and did you run into a clearance issue. Sparks and JE were of no help at all, they both said it should work but not totally sure. I know I can clay the motor but was hoping for a little less work. Any help would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by fourtraxmc@Jul 15 2004, 10:38 PM
This question might have been brought up but I am installing a JE piston 13.1 to 1 ratio with a Sparks agressive cam. Is any one running this set-up  and did you run into a clearance issue. Sparks and JE were of no help at all, they both said it should work but not totally sure. I know I can clay the motor but was hoping for a little less work. Any help would be great. Thanks
I know someone had clearence problems with that piston. But I cant remember what cam they were using...I think it was a CRF cam with that piston, and they destroyed thier motor. Or at least the top end. I dont know of anyone running that piston with that cam yet...you may be the first....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Desert, I did not even think about calling CHM, I wanted to get a Sparks piston because they assured me it would be fine but a 3 to 5 week wait until pistons were released and 2 months before they would accept any porting work. They make great products but don't say they are available and then tell me to put my name on a list. Head is being sent to ESR for porting tomorrow.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New piston is sitting on bench next to Sparks cam, still waiting for the big brown truck to show up with more parts.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Installed je 13.1 to 1 piston with sparks argressive drop in cam, filled valve pockets in piston with clay and checked clearance, intake clearance .100" and exhaust valves .100"+ . Should be good to go it wasn't as time consuming as I thought and now I feel better. Will start reassembling tomorrow.

·
Registered
733 Posts
keep me updated. i ordered the sparks cam and 13.8 piston and want to know what the power dilivery is like. mine won't be here for a couple weeks. :(

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
If you are nto willing to clay the piston, or cc the head after head work, you are not the guy who should be doing those kind of mods yourself.
Its very easy, very quick, and fool proof.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Originally posted by KGB@Aug 2 2004, 01:25 PM
If you are nto willing to clay the piston, or cc the head after head work, you are not the guy who should be doing those kind of mods yourself.
Its very easy, very quick, and fool proof.
Couldnt have said it better myself. Im the worlds most impatient person but I still find the time and patience to do stuff like this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts