Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the weekend at Pismo Beach.

Good: Took the new 450r out. Stock (no HRC kit, yet) ITP Sand Stars on the rear, 13 tooth sprocket.
Climbed everything out there in 2nd or third, but the short dunes didnt let me get too much into the gas.
Sand Drags: Raced everything I could just to see where I was at stock. Beat a few Banshees, LT 250's, Raptors, DS 650's and a 250R. Lost to Piped Banshees, Piped YFZ 450, 1 built to the hilt Craptor, couple of tuned 250R's and some psycho who stuffed a 4 cylinder street bike motor into a 250R frame.
Front end is definatly lighter in the sand with the paddles as I was able to ride a wheelie through most of the dunes.

Bad: Beach sucks. Salt water did a number on the metal. Had to make sure I washed it off when I got home and did a little extra scrubbing on the chain.
High winds on Saturday that made the camp a huge sand dune. Liquid lunch and dinner was on tap since I was tired of eating crunchy food.
High winds made for hard packed sand.
Ran out of liquid diet on Sat. night!!

Ugly: People still out there riding with no helmets, riding double, and dragging their kids around on the quads with them.
The family that pulled in next to us with a Baja Bug and a Pan Buggy. Trying to tune the Baja at 7am and then letting 6, yes SIX, kids climb into the pan buggy and be carted around by a 12 year old driver followed in the Baja by a 13 year old driver.
The Guy who hit a witch's eye on his Banshee at W.O.T and had top be airlifted out by Mercy Air, and the guy who hit the drop-off in his pilot at W.O.T. He just had the wind knocked out of him and a bent a-arm.

Is was a good weekend for me. I cant wait until fall/winter when I can get out to Glamis and Dumont. (HRC Kit and pipe on order)

·
Registered
115 Posts
That sounds like most of the Pismo trips I've taken. Lots of jerks; small dunes, but if you like jumping you can usually find some good ones.

We were at Glamis last weekend....it's hot, but worth it. We swam in the canal to stay cool. We're even thinking about going again the first weekend in June.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jumping was cool. Stopped Saturday night while cruisin the Mule around to watch 4 guys in Ford Ranger Pre Runners get some serious air out by Comp hill. Got some good pics that I still need to get developed.

Glamis in June?? Damn, you must have skin like a lizard... too hot!!!!

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by Derblank@May 18 2004, 11:47 AM
Jumping was cool.  Stopped Saturday night while cruisin the Mule around to watch 4 guys in Ford Ranger Pre Runners get some serious air out by Comp hill.  Got some good pics that I still need to get developed.

Glamis in June??  Damn, you must have skin like a lizard... too hot!!!!
Ford and Pre-Runner should not be in the same sentence :lol: :lol:
Nissan makes Pre-runners....dont they, or am I missing something?

·
Registered
145 Posts
The prerunner comes from the style of off road truck. The typical "prerunner" would be something like a Baja 500 truck. I think that is what he means, right?

The guys you talk about at pismo are the ones that cause all of us to deal with the "safety safari" harping about ATV safety. If idiots would get a clue, there would be very few injuries or deaths. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the info on Pismo, been wanting to try it but don't want to drive that far for crummy riding. I'll stick with dumont or Southern Utah, being from Vegas.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by twgracer@May 18 2004, 10:20 PM
The prerunner comes from the style of off road truck.  The typical "prerunner"  would be something like a Baja 500 truck.  I think that is what he means, right?

The guys you talk about at pismo are the ones that cause all of us to deal with the "safety safari"  harping about ATV safety.  If idiots would get a clue, there would be very few injuries or deaths.  Just my opinion.

Thanks for the info on Pismo, been wanting to try it but don't want to drive that far for crummy riding.  I'll stick with dumont or Southern Utah, being from Vegas.
thanks..yes that makes since..

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pre runner is a 2wd truck with suspension built for fast running on whoops and jumping. The front end is usually mostly fiberglass with King shocks and ungodly amount of travel. The rear king shocks usually come through the bed with a tubular 4-link rear suspension.
The trucks had an area that they were jumping at that was away from all the riders and did not interfere with the ATV's or rails.

Pismo was great for one reason. It was cool in the summer. Thats about it. If you really need a sand ride in So Cal in the middle of summer, Pismo is about the only place to go where you wont get heat stroke in less than 2 hours.

Pics are being developed right now, and I will see if I can scan them in by tomorrow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts