Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive never ridden a piped 450r or a 250r period so i was wondering from 1-3 which is quickest and fastest. also if anybody has the atv action where they did the super speed shootout and the second super speed shootout where they threw pipes on them let me know. thanks

·
Registered
392 Posts
A piped 250R would be a good match for a piped Z400. Most pipes will net the 250R @ 5 horse. The 250R isn't known as the world's greatest racer, because of its stock performance. It's become what its is, because of the aftermarket.
Back when the 400EX was new, Dirt Wheels matched up a bone stock 250R against a bone stock 400EX. The R was faster and won the drag. Then they gave the 400EX the BPU's and it nosed out the stock R. This was done dragging up hill, in the sand. SO............
1.YFZ
2.450R
3.250R

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
hmm. hard choice over the 450's
yeah the 250r stock is a good competitor with the 400ex
i race a piped YFZ this weekend countless times and beat him 90% of the time. he weighs about 100 pounds less than me also. hes at 120pounds. hes a scronney little man. im 6'1 and about 220 and i have the hrc and 13t sprocket. when i was shifting into third he was hitting 4th. i ran it to the rev limiter about 50% of the time when shifting into 3rd.

first 150ft of the race it would go
yfz
trx
250r

last 150ft of the race would go
trx
yfz
250r

thats pretty much how its been 99% of my drag races with yfz's.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Originally posted by allmixedup450r@Sep 27 2004, 02:51 AM
hmm. hard choice over the 450's
yeah the 250r stock is a good competitor with the 400ex
i race a piped YFZ this weekend countless times and beat him 90% of the time. he weighs about 100 pounds less than me also. hes at 120pounds. hes a scronney little man. im 6'1 and about 220 and i have the hrc and 13t sprocket. when i was shifting into third he was hitting 4th. i ran it to the rev limiter about 50% of the time when shifting into 3rd.

first 150ft of the race it would go
yfz
trx
250r

last 150ft of the race would go
trx
yfz
250r

thats pretty much how its been 99% of my drag races with yfz's.
I think that if you added a slip-on you would beat him all the way through, from the holeshot to the finish B) That's just what I have heard from Dez (a VERY reliable source IMO!)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
whats bpu mean? also i never got to read that shootout how much quicker and faster was the 250r over the 400ex and which won the shootout. thanks

·
Registered
392 Posts
spoRtRax450R,
By BPU's I mean the Basic Performance Upgrades. This 400ex had a K&N, Big Gun exhaust, and a rejet. I found the article online, probably late in 2000 (when I decided to pipe my 400ex :) ). I couldn't find it now to link it for you, but its wasn't a shootout as much as it was a comparsion for the stock 400ex Vs a piped 400ex.

i race a piped YFZ this weekend countless times and beat him 90% of the time. he weighs about 100 pounds less than me also. hes at 120pounds. hes a scronney little man. im 6'1 and about 220 and i have the hrc and 13t sprocket. when i was shifting into third he was hitting 4th. i ran it to the rev limiter about 50% of the time when shifting into 3rd.[/b]
You must be a heck of a rider! I placed the piped YFZ ahead because my DMC piped YFZ is faster than the 3 piped 450R's I've ridden. Those pipes were a Yoshi TRS Titanium, a Yoshi Comp carbon fiber, and a Sparks. Pipe for pipe the YFZ is faster. I'd say your HRC kit and full exhaust would be a good run for my cammoded (is that a word yet? lol) full exhaust YFZ. But I'd say you'll need a carb or piston to beat it.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Originally posted by mattYFZ450@Sep 27 2004, 05:22 PM
spoRtRax450R,
  By BPU's I mean the Basic Performance Upgrades.  This 400ex had a K&N, Big Gun exhaust, and a rejet.  I found the article online, probably late in 2000 (when I decided to pipe my 400ex :) ).  I couldn't find it now to link it for you, but its wasn't a shootout as much as it was a comparsion for the stock 400ex Vs a piped 400ex.

You must be a heck of a rider! I placed the piped YFZ ahead because my DMC piped YFZ is faster than the 3 piped 450R's I've ridden. Those pipes were a Yoshi TRS Titanium, a Yoshi Comp carbon fiber, and a Sparks. Pipe for pipe the YFZ is faster. I'd say your HRC kit and full exhaust would be a good run for my cammoded (is that a word yet? lol) full exhaust YFZ. But I'd say you'll need a carb or piston to beat it. [/b][/quote]
Cmon mattyfz450, I have raced at least 4 yfz's, one stock, and three modded with dubach and gytr pipes, with your (CAM MOD). And they havent even came close to beating me.

I would love to show you wrong

Jason

·
Registered
392 Posts
Cmon mattyfz450, I have raced at least 4 yfz's, one stock, and three modded with dubach and gytr pipes, with your (CAM MOD). And they havent even came close to beating me.

I would love to show you wrong

Jason[/b]
You're right, I lied just to make guys like you get mad. Good job beating the GYT-R YFZ's, those are SUPER fast! :) All kiding aside, I'm not here to make up stories and lie about who I have and have not beaten. Those 3 R's all belong to friend's of mine and I've rode them all. Only the one with the Sparks exhaust/cam/filter and CR Carb would run with my YFZ. But as I stated pipe for pipe the YFZ is quicker.
I'm the 1st one to admit the 450R and YFZ are both great bikes. I'd be riding a R if I haven't lucked into the deal I got on my YFZ. But bottom line is, stock for stock the YFZ IS faster. And the YFZ's factory exhaust is more restrictive. Now is the Yamaha so much faster that people should only buy YFZ's??? Nope. Both bike's are fast, and both have a lot of potential. Just don't get bent out of shape when you loose to a bike of a different color. :)

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I will give you that, stock for stock from what I heard the Yfz may be faster, but my bike had the cam mod and pipes before I even rode it.

But one thing comes to mind is, what if the R had the same compression as the yfz. So my cam mod almost evens it up, dont you think?

I do like the yfz though, it looks good exept for the Raptor front nose piece.

But I do know that my R will outlast your yfz, :lol:

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
My personal experience ...

I raced a stock YFZ and I am also stock. I edged him out 4 out of 4 times. Neither of us had a problem with wheeling off the line, so that wasn't a factor. He was much older than me, with more experience. He only weighed 10 lbs more. I don't know if that would equal about a quad length in 200' ... but that is my personal experience with YFZ's so far B)

·
Registered
936 Posts
this is 100% personal experience. my friend has a 400ex, thats been bored once to a 406. it has an hmf slip-on, and a uni filter.

he also has a 250r that is in excellent condition that has been bored 2 times, so what ever CC that would be. it has a pipe, uni filter, and reed valves.

i have a 04 450r, with a hmf slip on, and stock jetting 13/39 gearing.

all of these quads have had gearing changes. we both race XC so its not like one of the quads is geared for a different style of riding.

i couldnt tell you how long the field we drag race in is, but im about half way through 4th when i let off.

since we race XC, when ever we race, we do a dead engine start with the 250r and the 450r. off the line, his rear tires are right at my front. we stay about even untill i hit 3rd gear, and its over for him, i start pulling pretty hard.

the 400ex and the 250r are no comparison, the 250r just plain rapes it.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
If you took a YFZ with the GYT-R kit. Then took a 450R with the FCR carb,stage 2 cam,slip-on and a 12.1 piston. Which would make both bikes equal. The Honda would be faster. I know this becuase I have everything but the 12.1 piston and the YFZ I raced had the GYT-R kit on his bike. Everytime we race neither bike had a advantage. The race results were always the same. In fact, we didn't have a flagger and he would always take off first.(couldn't understand why he did that though). He would jump ahead and I caught up but never pass him. I would say, if we made the same start, I would probably pull ahead out of the hole and stay there if we had a flagger. The Honda has more torque, hands down!! B)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Theres only one problem with your example Rico'450R, It sounds like your saying if the 450R was as good as the YFZ, then it would be faster. you guys probably don't believe me, but to this very day, Iv'e still never lost to a TRX. I race every one that will, every time I'm at the dunes. I am not a super mod YFZ, I have raced several TRX's with more mods than mine. I am also not a lightweight, I weigh 190. There was one over Labor Day that gave me a better run than any to date. But he was also much lighter and more modded. He would be dead even with me half the hill, the second half I would pull about 4 quad lengths on him by the top. We are talking about a hill that is 700' tall and 1500' long. Ask Fender how big the hill is at Little Sahara Ut. That particular TRX would beat alot of YFZ's, But couldn't beat any of the ones in are group. I'm not trying to talk smack, Both machines have there good points. Just giving you another real world example.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by Performance@Sep 29 2004, 10:27 PM
Theres only one problem with your example Rico'450R, It sounds like your saying if the 450R was as good as the YFZ, then it would be faster. you guys probably don't believe me, but to this very day, Iv'e still never lost to a TRX. I race every one that will, every time I'm at the dunes. I am not a super mod YFZ, I have raced several TRX's with more mods than mine. I am also not a lightweight, I weigh 190. There was one over Labor Day that gave me a better run than any to date. But he was also much lighter and more modded. He would be dead even with me half the hill, the second half I would pull about 4 quad lengths on him by the top. We are talking about a hill that is 700' tall and 1500' long. Ask Fender how big the hill is at Little Sahara Ut. That particular TRX would beat alot of YFZ's, But couldn't beat any of the ones in are group. I'm not trying to talk smack, Both machines have there good points. Just giving you another real world example.
I believe every word you say!! But, you can't mix apples with oranges. When the YFZ cam to the market. Yami had one thing in mine...Track.....Period!!
The YFZ motor came straight out of the dirtbike and into the quad. Nothing was change in the motor.
When the CRf motor went into the TRX,, Honda redesigned the motor,,, because Honda wanted it for everyone. Not a few select,,,,,,,, The fact that Honda did this was to asure everyone could buy the 450R and have a great time with it. If you notice everyone can ride the Honda and all day long..... Anyone that dosen't race.. quickly gets to the point where the YFZ can put a toll on your energy and body and you can't ride that thing all day, like the TRX.
With that said, I don't want to go on...Both bikes are made for there own purpose and both bikes are great bikes. You can't go wrong with either one. It's a matter of opinion. The my facts still remain though....... If you powered up the TRX motor to match the YFZ motor(which the TRX is detuned).. Pound for pound and motor for motor,,, the TRX would be out in front every time!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Originally posted by Performance@Sep 29 2004, 10:27 PM
Performance, what do you have done to your Yfz that makes it so fast, Im curious, I havent been beat by one yet, and Im sure there are tons that are faster than mine, but just want to know, I have have raced only at the dunes and I pulled hard on every Yfz, (Buttercups)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Originally posted by trxjwb+Sep 30 2004, 01:08 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Performance
@Sep 29 2004, 10:27 PM
Performance, what do you have done to your Yfz that makes it so fast, Im curious, I havent been beat by one yet, and Im sure there are tons that are faster than mine, but just want to know, I have have raced only at the dunes and I pulled hard on every Yfz, (Buttercups)[/b]
I have the cam mod, Ron Woods (Rotax) race pipe, Ron Woods full open race intake, the YZ dirtbike needle and rejeted. This combo is very strong. I will be doing more in the future, but it runs very good as is. I ride with 2 other YFZ's with the same setup, and they have also never been beat by a TRX (and we have raced alot of them). So no offense, but thats why I don't buy into the pound for pound, dollar for dollar theory. Maybe its just where I race, but so far the TRX has needed alot more work to keep up. When properly modded the 450R can be quick, I'm not trying to say they are a lost cause. I'm sure as Rico450R said, the TRX is more comfortable after going hard all day. But I've always said nethier one is perfect for everyone. B)

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Originally posted by Performance+Sep 30 2004, 02:51 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 30 2004, 01:08 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Performance
@Sep 29 2004, 10:27 PM

Performance, what do you have done to your Yfz that makes it so fast, Im curious, I havent been beat by one yet, and Im sure there are tons that are faster than mine, but just want to know, I have have raced only at the dunes and I pulled hard on every Yfz, (Buttercups)
I have the cam mod, Ron Woods (Rotax) race pipe, Ron Woods full open race intake, the YZ dirtbike needle and rejeted. This combo is very strong. I will be doing more in the future, but it runs very good as is. I ride with 2 other YFZ's with the same setup, and they have also never been beat by a TRX (and we have raced alot of them). So no offense, but thats why I don't buy into the pound for pound, dollar for dollar theory. Maybe its just where I race, but so far the TRX has needed alot more work to keep up. When properly modded the 450R can be quick, I'm not trying to say they are a lost cause. I'm sure as Rico450R said, the TRX is more comfortable after going hard all day. But I've always said nethier one is perfect for everyone. B) [/b]
You and I are both alike I guess, I have never been beaten by a Raptor I mean YFZ, just kidding I like the YFZ as well, and you have never been beaten by a trx, sounds like a good race, where do you live, anywhere close to where Im at, I would to run against your bike, I live in Yuma AZ, California bordertown. :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Originally posted by trxjwb@Sep 30 2004, 04:07 PM
You and I are both alike I guess, I have never been beaten by a Raptor I mean YFZ, just kidding I like the YFZ as well, and you have never been beaten by a trx, sounds like a good race, where do you live, anywhere close to where Im at, I would to run against your bike, I live in Yuma AZ, California bordertown. :D
I don't think I would say to much about the Raptor looking like a YFZ. Have you looked at a 400EX, I mean 450R lately. :D I live in the center of Ut., 1hr from the dunes. Have you ever been to Little Sahara (Sand Mountain) Ut.? That is were I ride 99% of the time. Do you have any more done than what is listed on your sig? I agree it would be fun to run them sometime. ^_^

1 - 20 of 20 Posts