Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright well i was using some european gas last year that is suppose to be american 91 octane.. the quad sounds good and runs good, i used this gas for two months straight and did many hours on it using all of the revs on the quad. quad still runs smooth and strong.

is there anyway i can tell if i couldnt hear any pinging and knocking if the quad was being damaged? would it have even lasted two months?

i cant hear any pinging in which someone told me sounds like pennys hitting a glass bottle..
how about detonation, can this be caused by too low of a octane? how does that sound?
any help would be appreciated?

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
its difficult to hear Deto/pre-ignition on a loud machine....especially when your riding hard....or, if its like mine, has a lot of piston slap noise....

the most likely time your bike will 'ping' is when under a high load/low rpm situation..... so if you really want to check it out.... take her on the highway....5th gear.... low speed.... at WOT..... if you hear any type of 'rattle'...then its bad..... just dont mistake a 'rattle/ping' for the grunt the engine will make from this load.....

however......if the fuel is 91 pump octane.....and your running a stock machine with stock piston/compression setup.... you should be just fine...

yes.....damage can occur at any time during this process..... it can range from very slight damage to the piston surface, anti-deto rings (top grooves on piston) occurring over a long time frame... all the way to a complete Hole in the piston in a matter of seconds......... it all depends on the conditions surrounding the detonation.....

jmho...me~

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks alot for the response... that is the thing, this engine is so loud and makes so many noises, its hard to really put your finger on something.

so i should 5th gear low rev and see if it pings and knocks?

i mean i kno the quad bucks and knocks hard under low rpm under load. so during this time of bucking/knocking during low rpm i should listen for pinging?

in europe they just dont have the quality fuel standards of the US and im scared that i might be running some crap fuel that might cause some damage to my quad.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
are you currently living in Europe? and if so.... maybe you could speak to your local dealer (if you have one) and get their input on the types of fuel being sold over there....I really dont have a clue about that..

but yeah.....5th gear....low rpm..... then WOT... and listen for any pinging or loud rattle sound....

me~

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks alot for the info..

no right now i am in the US, i have a house in europe, i go there about 3 times a year sometimes 4, i left my 450r over there, overseas.
i will be going back in a month as i just came back. once i get back im gonna try the 5th gear technique. only if i knew where the hell a hodna dealership was around here. haha.

from what i know, the euro 95 octane is about 91 octane in US standards. i found 98 was seems to be somewhere of a 93 us spec, but its leaded. the honda manual calls for only unleaded gasoline.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
thanks alot for the info..

no right now i am in the US, i have a house in europe, i go there about 3 times a year sometimes 4, i left my 450r over there, overseas.
i will be going back in a month as i just came back. once i get back im gonna try the 5th gear technique. only if i knew where the hell a hodna dealership was around here. haha.

from what i know, the euro 95 octane is about 91 octane in US standards. i found 98 was seems to be somewhere of a 93 us spec, but its leaded. the honda manual calls for only unleaded gasoline.[/b]
Actually, if you can find a 93 leaded, that would be the best option by far. The leaded fuel is good for our motors contrary to what the manual says. That's the reason most race fuels are leaded.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so you think i should put leaded in this motor?

they have 93 leaded at the pump or 91 unleaded.

are you sure i should do it? i never put leaded in here. it wont hurt the TI valves?

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
TEL.....Tetra Ethyl Lead..

is very GOOD for your engine....ESPECIALLY your Titanium intake valves.....

not only does it reduce detonation.....Lead acts as a 'buffer' between two metal objects striking one another.....(similar to Moly (Molybdenum) in oil.....

if you can remember back in the 70's....when we began switching over from leaded to UNleaded fuels..... most auto companies were in a panic because of what the LACK of lead might due to their engines....hence new technology and materials now had to be used in the valve train......

is it necessary to have TEL in our fuel???....no, modern engines no longer REQUIRE it......

is it good to have TEL in our fuel???....HAIL YA......

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha interesting stuff.

i mean i dont know what kind of leaded gas it is.. i ask the guy and he said we have euro98 leaded or US 93 leaded. i was scared to use it since no one uses it anymore, the manual says only leaded for both the US and europe gasoline, and because i know this engine has some delicate high tech surfaces and coatings.

so you guys really think this stuff wont hurt anything, im really scared to run this stuff, but i mean if its good and wont cause any damage to my quad, why not esp since it is higher octane.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts