Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by spincr4hire@Sep 28 2004, 01:48 PM
on breaking it in? It will have the HRC kit installed.
Ride it nice, not full throttle,,,,,,,, and change your oil every two rides. Put aleast 10 hours on it before you ride it hard!!! B)

Oh, and very your speeds and go through the gear's allot.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Do a search, but as you will find out break in is a very touchy/personal subject. I don’t really think there is a right or wrong way to break it in, but I think that if you break it in soft the rings wont seat well and then you may have blow by from the oil and you will end up replacing rings sooner than normal. There are several posts on the site about break in so do a search and decided what you like the best.

I broke mine in like this:
I rode the crap out of it from day 1. I rode for about an hour or so, brought it home and changed the oil. Went back for about another hour or 2 and changed the oil and oil filter. Went back out for a third time and rode it 2 times and came home and changed the oil and I feel it is broken in well. No black smoke, no oil burning, or any other things others have talked about.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
See, Rico and I were replying both at the same time, and we both have different "theries". :D

I also forgot to add that they come somewhat broken in straight from the factory because every bike is started and ran hard one or two times on a dyno to make sure it runs well before it is even boxed up to be sent to the states.

Dave

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by Ride_Red626@Sep 28 2004, 01:57 PM
See, Rico and I were replying both at the same time, and we both have different "theries". :D

I also forgot to add that they come somewhat broken in straight from the factory because every bike is started and ran hard one or two times on a dyno to make sure it runs well before it is even boxed up to be sent to the states.

Dave
Of course Dave is right!!! Everyone has there own advise or thoughts on how to do something. The only thing I really sugest is not to go full throttle when you first ride that thing. Everything else is trail and error. But, like Dave said, they do come already some what broke-in!! B)

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Ya you probably dont want to run WFO for a long period of time while breaking it in. Ride it hard, and keep moving the throttle. Try not to run it at a steady throttle for long periods of time. But as Rico said the rest is pretty much trial and error.

Dave

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Myself I lean toward what Rico said, I rode mine soft for about 5 or 6 rides, that were about 15 min long. I let it cool completely down between rides. After that I rode the piss out of it.

I have had pretty good bikes, and I have done this with all of them, I guess its really personal preference!

Congrats on the new bike you will love it, I dont think I will ever get a 2 stroke again!

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by trxjwb@Sep 28 2004, 03:11 PM
Myself I lean toward what Rico said, I rode mine soft for about 5 or 6 rides, that were about 15 min long.  I let it cool completely down between rides. After that I rode the piss out of it.

I have had pretty good bikes, and I have done this with all of them, I guess its really personal preference!

Congrats on the new bike you will love it, I dont think I will ever get a 2 stroke again! 
I believe in the 15 min ride and engine cool down. That's what I did.......Two 15 min rides always let it cool down even if you have to wait over night then three to four 30 min rides letting it cool down all the way. Change the oil aleast once. then your ready to tear it up. I broke all my bikes in this way and I've had no problems. :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
beat the balls off it, but dont go WOT, vary speeds and gears and throttle position as much as possioble. i like to get into 3rd or 4th bring the bike almost to redline then just back off the throttle and let the motor slow the bike down ... do this in many gears at many throttle positions while accelerating.. (like one time do it at quarterr throttle then half then 3/4 etc) Hope this help. the main thing is not to ride it slow cause then it will be slow forever and will prolly burn oil

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by Wayne64SS@Sep 28 2004, 05:44 PM
beat the balls off it, but dont go WOT, vary speeds and gears and throttle position as much as possioble. i like to get into 3rd or 4th bring the bike almost to redline then just back off the throttle and let the motor slow the bike down ... do this in many gears at many throttle positions while accelerating.. (like one time do it at quarterr throttle then half then 3/4 etc) Hope this help. the main thing is not to ride it slow cause then it will be slow forever and will prolly burn oil
I do believe in the slow down method. Letting the engine slow the bike down on it's own its called back pressure. When doing this to a car it lets the rings seat. I would think it would be the same thing for the 450R. Nice choice of words Wayne64SS.
I just tend to stay away from full throttle until I feel the quad is fully broke in. Everything else, I agree. :D

·
Registered
199 Posts
Spinc - from seeing you on other boards I assume you will use it for xc racing..

here is my list:

buy extra tierods and brakepads - this quad will go through both quickly
adjust your throttle linkage so that the carb will open up 100%
go through and check all bolts and fasteners - heat shield is a known problem
keep an eye on the chain tension - we have quite a few around that have thrown chains
pick up a 13 tooth for the front if you need lower gearing for tight trails
I ran honda 10/40 for 20 hours then switched to Mobil1 red cap
get the hiflo oil filters (green box) - better priced than honda's and proven on thumpertalk.com - ebay has them.
If you are going to see much water with the hrc lid ditch the drain on the bottom of the airbox.
Start looking for a rear linkage that works for you!

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Carson

·
Registered
199 Posts
.. guess I should have read your message closer.. you just wanted suggestions for break in - I kept it out of full throttle for the first tank and ran honda oil for first 20 hours. With the manufacturing tolerances of engines these days I dont believe a lot of the old ways are required anymore. Many builders will say they are ready to go from the factory. I would also swap out the factory oil and filter after your first ride or two - you can usually find some shavings in there.

Carson

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by carson@Sep 29 2004, 08:36 AM
Spinc - from seeing you on other boards I assume you will use it for xc racing..
Yep, I'm pretty much a message board whore...

thanks for the info. I ordered a 13 tooth yesterday after I agreed to buy the R

I have Hipers/Razr2s waiting on it at home, also some Powermadd handguards and Spyder grips that will go on the stock bars for now. Plan to order an Axe Racing engine skid and PRM swingarm skid probably next week, along with some AC nerfs and a Pro Armor 'bullhorn' bumper.

Rear link/shock or shock rebuild along with some new front shocks/ or DeRisi rebuild will come hopefully soon, also.

Anybody running an HMF slip-on with the HRC kit?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Z400 XC race ready, still have it, for sale.

Before that I had a 400ex. This will make my 5th Honda I've owned.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Holy crap that thing is sweet!!! I think I remember you from z400central.com. I just sold my KFX 400 to get a 450r.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
This is how I broke mine in. Warm it up for about 5 minutes, then ride it like you normally ride. Just don't over rev it or hold the throttle at one steady RPM for a period of time. I changed the oil and filter after about an hour of riding. Took it out again, riding it like I have had it forever, still not over reving it. Rode for about another hour. Took it home changed the oil and filter again. After that as far as I'm concerned it is broken in. I now change my engine oil every ride and the filter every other time I change the oil. I change the trans side every other time I ride. To some that might sound a little excessive but to me it is cheap insurance. I think if you baby it the rings don't seat all the way, because the explosion of the spark pushes the rings out against the cylinder wall not the tension of the rings. Little explosion = little pressure = not seated all the way around.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts