Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just chasing info / opinions comments on this web grind 493/739 with 13.1 comp
Any good or bad issues or just what you may think or heard
thanks

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I am just chasing info / opinions comments on this web grind 493/739 with 13.1 comp
thanks[/b]
I've heard that cam makes great power but it's a big cam and is going to be tough on the valves and seats. You HAVE to run good valve springs and expect to shim your valves often.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also why have RBC...is it to do with cam bucket size...or is there another reason
Is all web cam larger lift cams RBC or is this a requested item ???

·
Registered
809 Posts
IMHO, its a horrible camshft. It will ake some good power but is like a ticking time bomb in there. I dont care if it was the last cam on earth, I wouldnt run it.

·
Registered
711 Posts
thanks[/b]
The 493/729 works well for my use and makes great power through out the band.

·
Registered
898 Posts
the 493/729 is not the same as the 493/739 camshaft. these two are completely different profiles...

the '729 is one of my favorite profiles. I've been running the 493 cam for a long time... I have a 208 on the shelf that I use as backup because I've gotten the 493 work'in great in my setups.

these camshafts are getting expensive though, no doubt!

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
i like it , i think its going to be a good racing cam, and not a dyno queen cam... early torque and quick revs.. i ran it for an hour tops, and the valve clearance's were exactly where i left them... I will have to see how it does in local tt racing later on to really make a good estimate...but it revs so nice

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
i ran one....very responsive and tq out the yingyang

but i had to reshim it 2 or 3 times in less than a hour ride time.........MAYBE because my valve are old though

it also did NOT rev out as good as the 208 or stage-3.........IN MY MOTOR!!

king if i knew you felt like that about the cam i would never have baught it from you..........is this how you feel about everything you sell//???........ :blink:

·
Registered
809 Posts
oh my bad on my opinion of the 739. I thought he was talking about the 729.

You really like that 729 cam Chad? I know it does well on power but man that thing has some serious intake ramps. Absolutely the harshest cam ive come across bar none.

I had a 739 that I sold to Buck but never ran it. I remember Zips and I talking and how we felt you need a good size port to flow that much exhaust that quickly on that profile. I bet its a very specific style of cam if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
711 Posts

You really like that 729 cam Chad? I know it does well on power but man that thing has some serious intake ramps. Absolutely the harshest cam ive come across bar none.

I had a 739 that I sold to Buck but never ran it. I remember Zips and I talking and how we felt you need a good size port to flow that much exhaust that quickly on that profile. I bet its a very specific style of cam if you know what I mean.[/b]

Works well at the strip for me.. : )

·
Registered
898 Posts
yea Gary, I really like the 493/729 camshaft.... It's one of my favorite cams...

I kept looking at my modeling software with all the inputs loaded and it kept telling me that's the cam,.... so I tried it on the dyno, then tried it on the drag strip in Jim's beast where his times improved significantly over the 208, then I verified on a few other builds including mine...

No doubt my choice... on my builds I can get that cam to romp on the tq from mid to top... I have absolutely no problem with valvetrain wear and tear either...

the 729 and the 739 cam has identical intake specs, but clearly different personality...

Attachments

·
Registered
809 Posts
Cool. I have personally witnessed 2 complete failures with the 729. I have some info that involves a cam doctor that says the ramps are extremly harsh. So between the cam doctor and my two personal witnessed failures, I came to the conclusion Id never touch that cam again. But if you guys are having luck with it then cool.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts

I had a 739 that I sold to Buck but never ran it. I remember Zips and I talking and how we felt you need a good size port to flow that much exhaust that quickly on that profile. I bet its a very specific style of cam if you know what I mean.[/b]

[/b]
What kind of E.T times are you getting in 1/8 mile ?

·
Registered
711 Posts

[/b]
[/b]
The last time I was at the track I went 7.3 all motor 1/8th mile 11.9 1/4 mile @101

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Cool. I have personally witnessed 2 complete failures with the 729. I have some info that involves a cam doctor that says the ramps are extremly harsh. So between the cam doctor and my two personal witnessed failures, I came to the conclusion Id never touch that cam again. But if you guys are having luck with it then cool.[/b]
WOW ! and to think my 500 +lift cam ramps are mild on the valve train! LOL !!!!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
QUOTE(Venom530KingR @ Jul 17 2008, 10:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=532170
<div class='quotemain'>oh my bad on my opinion of the 739. I thought he was talking about the 729.

[/b]
[/b][/quote]

The last time I was at the track I went 7.3 all motor 1/8th mile 11.9 1/4 mile @101
[/b][/quote]
DAMN....you got me beat........thats REALLY FAST for a 4stroke

·
Registered
711 Posts
QUOTE(Drag530r @ Jul 17 2008, 10:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=532174
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
[/b]
[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]
I could do better if i loose a little of that 200+lbs Lol
How is your bike running?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
QUOTE(D-RACER @ Jul 18 2008, 09:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=532353
<div class='quotemain'>
QUOTE(Venom530KingR @ Jul 17 2008, 10:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=532170
<div class='quotemain'>oh my bad on my opinion of the 739. I thought he was talking about the 729.

[/b]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]
I could do better if i loose a little of that 200+lbs Lol
How is your bike running?
[/b][/quote]
7.50's @87mph in a 1/8

1 - 18 of 18 Posts