Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
450 **** Raiser
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well since I just got this 450 I always like to go ahead and change the oil and tranny fluid in my stuff when I get it whether it needs it or not. I went today and got a quart of honda oil, honda transmission fluid, and a oil filter. So can someone give me a step by step process how to change this stuff? Whats bolts needs to be removed and what needs to be done. Thanks

·
Registered
795 Posts
Engine oil,Drain bolt on the bottom or the motor.Two 8mm bolts hold the oil filter cover on on the left side of the motor above the sight glass.Fill it to the high on the sight glass.Transmission oil,drain bolt back under the shifter/sprocket area.There is a 10mm check level bolt under the front of the clutch cover on the right side of motor.Fill the transmission oil slowly till it barely comes out of the hole.Then put the bolt back in start,let it idle for 3-5 min shut it off let it set for 2-3 min take out the check bolt back out and if it dont run out add a little more till it runs out.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Your motor oil is a 17mm bolt located in the center of the motor underneath like you would expect. Warm you quad up enough to get the oil mixed up but not so hot you get burnt. The fill hole is the black plastic thing on the side by your left foot when setting on the bike.

The oil filter is located down and to the left slightly of the oil fill plug. Two 8mm bolts, dont loose the spring when you pull it out and dont forget to change it. (I do mine every other oil change)

The tranny drain is a bittch. Its located on the shifter side of the quad towards the back by the swing arm. Its tucked way up in there and will require a decent sized extension. Once you find it, remove it completely and let it drain. Be careful when you put it back in, allot of people mess those threads up.

When you go to fill it there is a "check" bolt on the opposite side (brake side). Its kinda hidden and hard to explain off the top of my head so you will have to look that one up if you cant find it. The fill plug is also on the brake side, another black plastic plug. Fill this with about 3/4 as much oil as you think you will need, then fill it slowly with the rest and wait until you see oil come out of the check hole and then put the bolt back in

Make sure everything is tight and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Also remember that when you change your filter AND your oil you will need slightly more oil than if you were only changing the oil.

Always let your bike run for a few seconds and recheck the oil level just to be sure

·
450 **** Raiser
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, appreciate it guys.

·
450r XC Rider
1,614 Posts
Trans drain bolt is a 12mm, not 8. Check bolt is a 10mm, not 8. Engine drain is 17mm. Oil filter is 8mm. The trans check bolt is in between the timing plug and clutch cover on the lower side of the engine. Not difficullt to find at all

I have best luck filling the engine side all the way to the high mark cause when you start the engine it will fill the oil filter up with oil and it when you check it again it will be about 3/4 up the sight glass and that is exactly where you need to be

·
450 **** Raiser
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Trans drain bolt is a 12mm, not 8. Check bolt is a 10mm, not 8. Engine drain is 17mm. Oil filter is 8mm. The trans check bolt is in between the timing plug and clutch cover on the lower side of the engine. Not difficullt to find at all

I have best luck filling the engine side all the way to the high mark cause when you start the engine it will fill the oil filter up with oil and it when you check it again it will be about 3/4 up the sight glass and that is exactly where you need to be
So fill the engine oil up to the high mark on the glass then when you run it it will be good? Is that with or without a filter change?

·
450r XC Rider
1,614 Posts
So fill the engine oil up to the high mark on the glass then when you run it it will be good? Is that with or without a filter change?
thats correct. thats with a filter change. always change the filter every time you change the oil. I know they are high but its cheap insurance. I get my filters from oreillys. wix part number 57671

·
450 **** Raiser
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't fiil to the high mark it will overflow all over the place.Anywhere between 1/2 to 3/4 is good.

Thats what he just said to do..

·
450r XC Rider
1,614 Posts
Don't fiil to the high mark it will overflow all over the place.Anywhere between 1/2 to 3/4 is good.
I do it every time. Never had any oil spill out anywhere. When it fills the filter and once it sits for about 5 minutes it sits 3/4 up the sight glass

·
450 **** Raiser
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Around how often do yall do a change?

·
450r XC Rider
1,614 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Yep sorry I was talking about the one time i changed it and the shop didn't have a filter..lol

·
450 **** Raiser
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
But its hard for me to calculate hours in my head when im ridin.. So ill just change it every 3-4 good rides.. Thats about right.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Fill the tranny to factory spec. You will overfill it everytime with the check screw leading to oil being blowin out or it will for sure drain out if you stand it up to pressure wash it. That method only works on the 04-05 models.

·
450 **** Raiser
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If the transmission oil is significantly overfilled, what if any problems will this cause?
If there is a breather hose then I guess go up the breather hose but is there even one?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Also, just to let you know, there really is no reason to spend extra hard earned on Honda tranny fluid. It says straight in the service manual pro Honda gn4 or hp4 (without molybdenum additives) 4 stroke oil or equivalent motor oil. I prefer the same oil I run in my duramax. Delo.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts