Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to this forum and I just bought my 2005 R off of one owner in August. I went to go drain the oil and had trouble getting it out and then I ordered a new bolt since that one was stripped.

When I went to put the new bolt in it will screw in all the way but just twist around and never tighten. I figure the the guy before me over-tightened it and stripped the threads cuz when I pull the bolt out it has metal shavings on it but there aren't any shavings in the oil at all.

Anybody on here have suggestions on what to do cuz I would rather not have to buy a new crankcase and was jus thinking about getting it re-threaded.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I had the same problem when i bought my 04......I ended up drilling out the old threads while i had it tore down and put fresh 12mm threads and used a allen head bolt with a fat O-ring to keep it sealed off...Be very carefull not to over tighten the new bolt...I think the original size is 8mm....Just because you dont see shavings in the oil doesnt mean that there arent shavings laying around in the bottom of the case....When i tore mine down i found some large shavings laying around in the bottom of the case from the previous owner attempting to fix the problem

·
Registered
391 Posts
Oh and make sure that the new bolt isnt too long....needs to be quite short

·
Registered
566 Posts
i just heli-coiled my drain bolt and it went pretty smooth.
But, now my bike leaks a small amount of oil, it gathers on the bolt head until enough oil is there and then drips. Its probably a drip every 2 days.

Anyone know whats up with that? Im using the right bolt, with a washer.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Mine did that pretty bad until i used a O ring to seal it

use a tight fitting o ring

·
Registered
228 Posts
But, now my bike leaks a small amount of oil, it gathers on the bolt head until enough oil is there and then drips. Its probably a drip every 2 days.

Anyone know whats up with that? Im using the right bolt, with a washer.[/b]
You did not drill the hole straight,so it will not seal properly..

·
Registered
566 Posts
Mine did that pretty bad until i used a O ring to seal it

use a tight fitting o ring[/b]
ok, now did you put the O-ring on first then a washer?

Anyone know whats up with that? Im using the right bolt, with a washer.[/b]
You did not drill the hole straight,so it will not seal properly..
[/b]
hm that sucks, guess it went in at a slight slant, o well nothin i can do now and its not bad....its always somethin stupid :11doh:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Not using a washer I used a Allen head bolt that I took from work (thief) that has a large head on it and used a fat tight fitting o-ring and hasent leaked a drop since

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys i got a friend of ours who is gonna re-thread so everything should turn out ok. lets hope this fixes it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts