Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working to get this fixer 2007 Honda trx450ER working for about a month now. Got it running and am currently having choking of some sort around and after 1/4 throttle. I have a video and will try to link it. I have already checked the TPS with my multimeter according to the book and was within the 4-6k ohms and the resistance increased with throttle increase.

any idea on the issue?

·
Truck Yea
6,053 Posts
if it isnt the jetting and the valves are good, then your looking at a stator. seen too many like this.

Reactions: Daniel_midgette

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if it isnt the jetting and the valves are good, then your looking at a stator. seen too many like this.
Yeah I’ve read that in a lot of forums but when I let my bike idle it actually charges the battery. Regardless, I’ll be checking the voltage and resistance from the stator. Did you watch the video? Is it similar to others?

·
Truck Yea
6,053 Posts
Yeah I’ve read that in a lot of forums but when I let my bike idle it actually charges the battery. Regardless, I’ll be checking the voltage and resistance from the stator. Did you watch the video? Is it similar to others?
yup, it makes power just fine till you rev it. friend and i just went thru the same thing, would charge but once revved would be an issue. we took it apart and the one coil on the stator was burned.

Reactions: Daniel_midgette

·
Registered
639 Posts
Make sure the needle is not sitting to high. That can also do this the best way to know is pull the Choke and then see if it does it at mid throttle still... if the Choke makes it clear it up the Needle is out of adjustment or came loose.

Also Check the ignition Coil wire that it is plugged in tight. I'm going with a Loose Connection the Coil, Splark Plug Boot or a Loose Resistor insie the Spoark Plug boot. Look down the Blue Boot make sure the Brass peice down in there is tight it uses a large Flat Head screw driver. Also tug on the bootmake sure it don;t just pull out of the Blue Boot too.

Also you can have a bad Stator but it will still Charge just fine the Charge Coil to the Lighting and the Charge Coil to the CDI are totally differnt windings on the stator. The 3 Yellows are the Lighting Coils that goes to the Regulator and then the Regulator converts that 3 phase to 13V DC

Then you also have a "3 Phase" CDI Charge Circuits which is a White, Blue and a Black/Red if one of those are broken or burnt off in the Stator it's self, the quad will not run right or not run at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Make sure the needle is not sitting to high. That can also do this the best way to know is pull the Choke and then see if it does it at mid throttle still... if the Choke makes it clear it up the Needle is out of adjustment or came loose.

Also Check the ignition Coil wire that it is plugged in tight. I'm going with a Loose Connection the Coil, Splark Plug Boot or a Loose Resistor insie the Spoark Plug boot. Look down the Blue Boot make sure the Brass peice down in there is tight it uses a large Flat Head screw driver. Also tug on the bootmake sure it don;t just pull out of the Blue Boot too.

Also you can have a bad Stator but it will still Charge just fine the Charge Coil to the Lighting and the Charge Coil to the CDI are totally differnt windings on the stator. The 3 Yellows are the Lighting Coils that goes to the Regulator and then the Regulator converts that 3 phase to 13V DC

Then you also have a "3 Phase" CDI Charge Circuits which is a White, Blue and a Black/Red if one of those are broken or burnt off in the Stator it's self, the quad will not run right or not run at all.
thank you for commenting first off.

I did actually see if it was a fuel issue. I pulled out the choke while it was doing this and had little to no change. Additionally I tried a little shot of starting fluid at a different time while it was choking at throttle like in the video and she wanted to die.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I see, you should never use any kind of Starting Fluid or Carb cleaner etc because the Vacuume plate seal will get ruined.

Honestly to me it sounds like a Fuel issue. Have you drainedthe Carburetor Bowl and tried new fuel? It kind of acts like there could be Water in the fuel. Very simular symptoms.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I see, you should never use any kind of Starting Fluid or Carb cleaner etc because the Vacuume plate seal will get ruined.

Honestly to me it sounds like a Fuel issue. Have you drainedthe Carburetor Bowl and tried new fuel? It kind of acts like there could be Water in the fuel. Very simular symptoms.
yes, carb has actually been completely cleaned and jets blown through. Accelerator pump inspected and reinstalled with everything else including new seals. I’m running non ethanol premium 96 from shell and Used the gas out of the container I recently got there while I was mowing

·
Registered
639 Posts
I know this sounds wierd, but I honestly I found about 6 years ago i had an issue trying to tune mine i did everything and found out it was the Shell Gas, it was not just the loacal station it was every one I bought gas from in my city. I never had a bike run right on that Shell Fuel (V Power) crap, maybe it's just my neck of the woods but I think it's an addative they put in their fuel... Its just a thought I would try switching fuel if I were you just do the easy things first. From what i have researched the newer Shell fuel is designed for really high pressure and direct injection engines since a lot of GasolineCars are going that way (and newer bikes) I have seeen just about anything I personally owned and local freinds of mine had the same issue with Shell Crap we switched to QT or Circle K gas and the problem cleared up oddly.

·
Registered
2006 trx 450er. Stock motor, sparks full exhaust, elka legacy series shocks, and many more boltons!!
940 Posts
I actually have the same issue with my current quad, i have a shell right down the street so id go there out of convenience. But noticed it ran a little funny. Im going to a mobile gas station not too far, and the funniness stopped. It was a very subtle funniness and barely noticeable, but I noticed it. Ryan i think you’re on to something with the new cars and new gas. Times are changing, pretty soon itll be electric sport quads 😂

·
Truck Yea
6,053 Posts
Well yea, thats a definite issue. Im glad it was simple.

FWIW i basically throw out everything like that aftermarket if I buy or service a bike. in every case it only leads to failure.

Reactions: hoser
1 - 14 of 14 Posts