Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just my opinion now that i have both a YFZ and a R..... The YFZ has great low end power and great upper end.... the R is just so much quicker to throttle response IMO....

WELL HELL.... Let me put it to ya this way they are both awesome machines and Shine in thier own areas and there shouldnt even really be a Compareison between who is better or not....

THIS IS MY POINT.... i will take the R over it ANY DAY OF THE YEAR....

This is Y....

Have you ever tryed to work on a GOD FORSACKEN YAMMAHA..... they did not design those things to work on.... if something goes wrong then you will be sitting there for an hour trying to fix stuff.... like put an air filter in.... <<(J/J)

I have been jetting my YFZ in ... Cause i am selling it already.... and it took me an hour to get the Carb out..... it takes me 2 screws on the air boots on my R and the carb will fall into your hands...... YOU CANT EVEN GET YOUR HANDS ON THE YFZs CARB..... :wacko:

I DUNNO.... just venting ... like i said im not bashing but this thing (yfz) was not designed with a mechanic in mind......

Just wanting to see if anyone else has ever had probs with it (yfz) the R or anyother quad all together.... JUST TO VENT..... :lol:

BY the way im getting another YFZ after i sell this one... but its for my little brother.... :D

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Thats a good point about the yammies. they are hard to work on. its its better that you described it instead of doing like soo many other people and just sayin the YFZ sucks and the R is the best. Sure that could be true but back up your reasoning.

·
Registered
936 Posts
heh, one of the main reasons i got the honda over the yamaha is because i have seen people try and work on them, and i would never want to deal with that bs. i remember once when we were out riding a guy had a yfz and his chain came loose while we were out in the trails, so we go back to the pits, and i swear to go it took him about 15-20m minutes to adjust his chain.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That is definetly the worst thing about the z/kfx, it is the most impossible thing to work on, you have to be a friggen rocket scientist to figure out how to jet it. I was really thinking of getting a 450r just becasue of that reason plus a couple others :D

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
My friend eddie has had a couple problems with his yfz, and I know what you are talking about with the carb he stripped out one of the airbox clamps and had a heck of a time jetting it. I'm not bashing it, its just not for me.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I dont think that you really know how to work on one....JMHO. I owned a KFX and that thing was a beeyatch to jet....THE YFZ IS A DREAM....especially with the small access plug on the bottom of the Keihin carb which the same carb on the Honda CR125/250 dirtbike. I can get to my carb with an allen bolt and just two screws on the boots (both sides) and it falls into my hands....all without taking off any plastic BTW...same for jetting. The KFX sucked and you had to strip the whole bike down...

The air filter on the YFZ only has one wingnut so I don't see whats hard about that...same as the KFX too. The only airbox that sucks is the Raptor because the lid actually holds the intake in place for the dual mikuni carbs....

Adjusting the chain is easy to if you have a pair of 12mm and 10mm socket wrenches and a 17mm rachet...should only take 2 mins (Rappy is the same too)... To adjust my KFX I had to remove the rear brake caliper and loosen 6 screws....another beeyatch....

Changing the oil is about the same on all of them...except the oil reservoir for the Raptor drains onto the frame...wtf...never figured that out, but the 450R, YFZ, and KFX are all similar.

My KFX had brake probs and a waterpump prob while the only thing I have broken on the Yammys can be attributed to my fault....

The frames break on all of them now because of weight concerns and making the frames lighter.....maybe 10 years ago you could go by brand for quality but not anymore, all the MAJOR brands got their shiznit together now....unless you are buying a Kasea that is....This reliability urban myth that people perpetuate really gets me....just like more babies are born during full moons....I know people that actually believe that you can make dogs quit pissing in yards if you put a CLOSED water jug out there...WTF>>>>>

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by citizennobody@Sep 16 2004, 09:55 PM
I dont think that you really know how to work on one....JMHO.  I owned a KFX and that thing was a beeyatch to jet....THE YFZ IS A DREAM....especially with the small access plug on the bottom of the Keihin carb which the same carb on the Honda CR125/250 dirtbike.  I can get to my carb with an allen bolt and just two screws on the boots (both sides) and it falls into my hands....all without taking off any plastic BTW...same for jetting.  The KFX sucked and you had to strip the whole bike down... 

The air filter on the YFZ only has one wingnut so I don't see whats hard about that...same as the KFX too. The only airbox that sucks is the Raptor because the lid actually holds the intake in place for the dual mikuni carbs....

Adjusting the chain is easy to if you have a pair of 12mm and 10mm socket wrenches and a 17mm rachet...should only take 2 mins (Rappy is the same too)...  To adjust my KFX I had to remove the rear brake caliper and loosen 6 screws....another beeyatch....

Changing the oil is about the same on all of them...except the oil reservoir for the Raptor drains onto the frame...wtf...never figured that out, but the 450R, YFZ, and KFX are all similar. 

My KFX had brake probs and a waterpump prob while the only thing I have broken on the Yammys can be attributed to my fault....

The frames break on all of them now because of weight concerns and making the frames lighter.....maybe 10 years ago you could go by brand for quality but not anymore, all the MAJOR brands got their shiznit together now....unless you are buying a Kasea that is....This reliability urban myth that people perpetuate really gets me....just like more babies are born during full moons....I know people that actually believe that you can make dogs quit pissing in yards if you put a CLOSED water jug out there...WTF>>>>>
I jetted my carb on my z without taking any plastic off. I found it rather easy....and I have never taken my brake off to adjust my chain.....why would you do that?

the thing I find hard about the Z is taking the head pipe off. I had to take the jug loose just to get the head pipe off. It would not move until I took the jug off. I had to take the jug off anyway becasue I replaced the base gasket with one off of a DRZ400E....its a thinner gasket and ups the compression....helps with the loss of low end after replacing stock cams with hot cams....I also put the valve springs in off of the DRZ400E dirt bike....they are stronger springs.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Yeah I put the DRZ-E gaskets in the KFX and that header was a beeyatch too....I had an 03 and to access one of the four carrier holding bolts (whatever their name is) you had to remove the rear caliper (which was two bolts)....I don't see how I could have done it any other way...trust me I am lazy and always look for a shortcut

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by citizennobody@Sep 17 2004, 10:19 AM
Yeah I put the DRZ-E gaskets in the KFX and that header was a beeyatch too....I had an 03 and to access one of the four carrier holding bolts (whatever their name is) you had to remove the rear caliper (which was two bolts)....I don't see how I could have done it any other way...trust me I am lazy and always look for a shortcut
dont use a socket...use a wrench....I use a socket for the rest....

·
Registered
810 Posts
To change a main in a z, you don't have to pull any plastic. You just loosen both srcews on the tubes, Use a 8mm wrench and pull out that black crankcase vent box on the right side(this is alittle of a pain). Then rotate your carb, pull the bowl and change the main. Some claim they have to pull plastics to change the plug, but I never had to either. You can adjust the chain without pulling the rear break, just use a wrench on the right side as someone already said. If you loosen the radiater bolts and pull it out of the way you can remove or install the stock header(again a pain, but can be done and how often do you change the header anyhow).
Citizen, I don't have a yfz, but what I think some are trying to get at with the yfz chain adjustment is: it's just alittle more complicated than it needs to be compared to a honda 450r.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by tuffguy@Sep 17 2004, 11:09 AM
To change a main in a z, you don't have to pull any plastic. You just loosen both srcews on the tubes, Use a 8mm wrench and pull out that black crankcase vent box on the right side(this is alittle of a pain). Then rotate your carb, pull the bowl and change the main. Some claim they have to pull plastics to change the plug, but I never had to either. You can adjust the chain without pulling the rear break, just use a wrench on the right side as someone already said. If you loosen the radiater bolts and pull it out of the way you can remove or install the stock header(again a pain, but can be done and how often do you change the header anyhow).
  Citizen, I don't have a yfz, but what I think some are trying to get at with the yfz chain adjustment is: it's just alittle more complicated than it needs to be compared to a honda 450r.
so thats how you take the damn head pipe off....loosen up the radiator...thanks I will try that....later.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I still think that the HONDA is easier to work on and be gental with.....

The Guy that works on all my stuff and has showed me how to work on everything used to be a Dealer Mechanic <<< Back when they where Worth a Damn..... He has been out of it for about 6 yrs now but still stays up on everything.. thanks to me.... But he Called me a "BIG ""KITTY CAT"" the other day and SHOWED me how to work on the Yammis... he said it is the same way you work on Goldwings and other bikes that have a bunch of clutter... i was Cringing as he was working on it... he was not being very NICE.....

I just think the Honda is the easiest....... :D

Might have toi get another.....

·
Registered
851 Posts
Originally posted by citizennobody@Sep 16 2004, 09:55 PM
Adjusting the chain is easy to if you have a pair of 12mm and 10mm socket wrenches and a 17mm rachet...should only take 2 mins (Rappy is the same too)...  To adjust my KFX I had to remove the rear brake caliper and loosen 6 screws....another beeyatch....
??????? that adjustment system is on the yfz also ???????????
the swingarm doesnt look the same as the rappy, warrior,blaster, banshee setup but u got to be kidding me that you need all those tools to adjust the chain on a yfz ?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Next time you are at the dealer look at it people...

The YFZ has two bolts that run parallel to the carrier bearing and those use a 17socket/rachet and are REAL EAST to get to through the rotor.....the adjustment bolts can be VERY quickly tighten or loosed using a 12 mm wrench and 10 mm wrench....the hardest part is lining up the lines to make sure it is str8....

·
Registered
851 Posts
holy crap. so they did use the same adjustment system. why didnt they copy the honda setup. their isnt any shame in that when your dealing with something u may have to fix on the trail. i'm dumbfounded that they are using the same tech in the swingarm that my buddies 87 warrior had.. wtf ???

·
Registered
395 Posts
I dont think it is a bad system...sometimes patents also have an effect on copying a system....I don't have any complaints about the bike so far .....the Raptor oil changes are another story...

·
Registered
810 Posts
I don't know about the patents on the chain adjustment. The polaris's and cannondales use this same/similar system as well as all the aftermarket as the honda.

·
Registered
278 Posts
trying not to bash the yamis either but they are uglier than hell especially the yfz i would buy a raptor over it anyday i think they are the sorriest looking quad out i could go buy some maier plastic and put it on a warrior and it would look the same but there not worth waisting money on when they will be broke way before the warranty runs out.honda rules

·
Registered
395 Posts
Originally posted by 450RKYDUDE@Sep 18 2004, 09:40 PM
trying not to bash the yamis either but they are uglier than hell especially the yfz i would buy a raptor over it anyday i think they are the sorriest looking quad out i could go buy some maier plastic and put it on a warrior and it would look the same but there not worth waisting money on when they will be broke way before the warranty runs out.honda rules
from the movie Billy Madison....

"I think that we are all stupider today for having read this post..."

·
Registered
215 Posts
IMO, i think the YFZ is one of the best looking quads out. I think sometimes people look for a reason to hate other quads, so they can feel more secure with what they ride. Again thats just IMO. No harm intended.l

1 - 20 of 25 Posts