Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so here's my deal. I left my quad at my parents place for a week or 2 without having time to ride. I started it, it ran fine for approx. 5 mins. After letting it warm up it slowly sputtered out. I checked for spark and it's good. The air filter maybe has 1 hour on it and is still shinning. I also tried turning it over several times and didn't smell any gas from the exhaust pipe. What I'm curious is if anyone knows any ideas as to what it might be?? I am under the assumption that it's carb related, but don't really want to take it off and apart if avoidable. Anyone have any quick check ideas that I could run or a way to possibly flush the carb while it's still on???? All suggestions appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
well it sounds like what my bike does when it sits to long... mine has done it twice now. the float neddle is sticking in the seat. just a guess for your problem but it has been my problem twice this summer now

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any quick fixes on that?? I'm checking the service manual as we speak.......

·
Registered
391 Posts
Just pull the bowl off and drain it and clean it and check the needle valve

·
Registered
960 Posts
probably a no brainer but was the gas turned on? if so probably a stuck needle

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
probably a no brainer but was the gas turned on?[/b]
haha thats exactly what i was thinking

·
Registered
559 Posts
plugged jets???pilot circuit......

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL, thanks and good for askin, but yeah i made sure the gas was on... I tried both on and reserve to see if that was it, I guess I'll have to take the bowl off tomorrow. 2 questions though, 1. is that possible without taking the carb out, possibly just rotating to the side? and 2. what is pilot circuit ? Once I finally figure it out i'll let you guys know what the heck it was, thanks. Back to the garage.........

·
Registered
559 Posts
Its super easy to remove the carb. Its only held on by the boot to the head and one to the intake. 2 screws. The only thing you should have to do is unplug the tps plug(wires) and unhook the fuel line(make sure you shut your fuel off:) There is a 17mm bolt on the bottom of the carb.....remove it and there is the float.(white plastic)...the pilot circuit(pilot jet) is in there too. It takes a flat head screw driver to remove it.....the tiniest spec of dirt would stop the bike from starting.......remove the jets and try to blow thru them or clean them out w/ carb cleaner.....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
K, I finally got around to trying to deal with this problem, but have encountered another one. When you say TPS plug, do you mean the throttle cable and idle adjustment?? I know, there' no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people..... i unscrewed the 2 boot screws and tried to pivot the carb enough to get at the bottom. I unscrewed the 17mm bolt on the bottom of the bowl and could slighty see the white plastic. but I couldn't pivot the carb enough to get at it fully see what I'm doin. Or is there some other thing that I'm totally not doing??? Thanks for your patience guys........ I'm learning..........feel free to poke fun :)

·
Registered
559 Posts
just wiggle the plastic a little and then re-check to see if that worked...if its your float sticking..the tps is a plug(electrical)not the idle no.....

·
Registered
376 Posts
It does have gas in it right? I had a friend a couple days ago get super PO'd because his 450 died while he was riding it and wouldn't start back up. He thought it was the guy's fault that adjusted the carb... until he found it was out of gas.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know this might sound stupid, but if you stored it somewhere it got really hot with a full tank of gas, could be vapor lock. When you opened up the float bowl(flathead screw bottom right of the carb) and drained it, with the gas on if you pull the main gravity fed hose fuel should flow out super freely with the gas in the on position. If not, you have vapor lock. Unscrew your fuel cap and see if it breaks free....just a thought that you can check with ease....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK so here's my second diagnosis. I've taken the carb off, taken the bowl off and sprayed cleaner into every hole I could find. I tried running fuel through it to see if it will come out the bottom of the bowl with it off and nothing. I have also tried blowing as hard as I could through the fuel in line, with the bottom of the bowl off to see if the float was moving. So what I think it is, is something between the fuel line in and where it enters the bowl. how can I clean it out?? i tried soaking the fuel line in intake to see if that might free up the dirt. Any ideas appreciated.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well boys... i finally figured it out. it was either the float valve being stuck or dirt was in there. either way it's fixed and running. I owe all of you guys a beer for your patience and help. Thanks again and happy riding to all.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
well boys... i finally figured it out. it was either the float valve being stuck or dirt was in there. either way it's fixed and running. I owe all of you guys a beer for your patience and help. Thanks again and happy riding to all.[/b]
Glad to see it up and running.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Ill drink anything, Miller lite or some Yag bombs!!!!:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts