Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I just picked up a 2007 450 trx er. I have a 2021 Honda Talon R 2 seater Live Valve. This is to have some fun chasing it around. As usual I bought a basket case. Not running. Guy I bought from said he put carb kit in. Impossible. I’ve never seen a dirtier more gummed up carb. That leads me to my question. I need a carb or kit. The head says unicam. The jets i could read : 42 and 71. Let’s assume they are the correct jets? Does that help with possible engine mods, cam and bore? The exhaust can’t possibly be good. It loose and crap. Replace I’m sure. I’d like to get it running then I can start going on other stuff. Should I clean the carb (kit) what jets should I look at and I could use any starting point. I figured carb. I’ve got spark. I’m charging battery. I was thinking of cleaning what i have and putting it together get it to run and see what I have. Maybe compression test. Thank you for any direction. Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi All,
I just picked up a 2007 450 trx er. I have a 2021 Honda Talon R 2 seater Live Valve. This is to have some fun chasing it around. As usual I bought a basket case. Not running. Guy I bought from said he put carb kit in. Impossible. I’ve never seen a dirtier more gummed up carb. That leads me to my question. I need a carb or kit. The head says unicam. The jets i could read : 42 and 71. Let’s assume they are the correct jets? Does that help with possible engine mods, cam and bore? The exhaust can’t possibly be good. It loose and crap. Replace I’m sure. I’d like to get it running then I can start going on other stuff. Should I clean the carb (kit) what jets should I look at and I could use any starting point. I figured carb. I’ve got spark. I’m charging battery. I was thinking of cleaning what i have and putting it together get it to run and see what I have. Maybe compression test. Thank you for any direction. Bob View attachment 152011
Anyone? I cleaned carb and got it running decent. I need to dial it in but glad it is running.
there are a couple wires coming out of throttle cable housing one of the wires is broken and I assume it’s something to do with starting or choke? What is it? I’m ordering a manual but if anyone is interested in giving a little help I’d appreciate it. Thank you

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,473 Posts
Welcome to the ORG!

a good place to start would be reading the Jetting sticky at the top of the engine forum. That will tell you what the stock jets are, and give you good information for jetting it for your mods.

it looks like stock exhaust which is usually pretty good and tight, shouldn’t take much to get it tightened up and not rattling. Nice thing about stock exhaust is that it’s quiet and is zero maintenance versus aftermarket exhaust which is usually loud and needs regular repacking.

If you are confident that you know what you are doing and can rebuild the carb properly then I suggest doing it. Just make sure you are thorough and reassemble it properly, a lot of times guys create more problems when they don’t know what they are doing.

A compression test won’t tell you anything unless you remove the auto-decompression system.

Sounds like you have the right plan, clean up what you can, get everything sorted, make sure you have air, spark, and fuel and see if she’ll start. Let us know how it goes or if you have any other questions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts