Honda TRX 450R banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
There were a couple revisions made to the new pipes. There were 2 original prototypes built 6 years ago which had 3 step headers compared to 2 steps on the new version and the megaphone is a 1/2" larger entering the canister on the production model. The new exhaust with the revision to the header is more accommodating to smaller and medium builds with the ability to maintain flame travel in a broader range of motors.

The explosion that occurs in the cylinder during combustion is processed through the exhaust valves and into the header as a actual flame. To define flame travel to those that don't know, it is the exhaust gases exiting the head, the hotter the gas (flame) the faster it travels through the header, maintaining this flame is key. The flame can be extinguished or prolonged based on the size of the header in relationship to the build size. Flame travel is key in maintaining power, if the flame cools too quickly while traveling through the header substantial power loss will occur. The prototype 3 step headers were targeted towards 575+cc motors which require more air flow through the header and can maintain flame travel longer with increased header diameters. These larger diameters can be an advantage in big cc motors as long as the steps are positioned correctly. The production exhaust have an advantage over the original prototypes in that they will work with a broader range of builds, maintain the flame travel longer, while releasing into a larger megaphone which is where the power advantages are produced over the competition.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The core is the same size as the prototype exhaust 2.5"

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Sparks standard exhaust is 2", big core is 2.25", new megaphone XX6 exhaust is 2.5"

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
My 480 hit 60hp 42tq with sparks exhaust. Dasa 58hp. Oh and it has a venom head lol
700.00 +
nice! where can i get one of those ??

:):

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
on the pipe topic....

absolutely beautiful.... awesome.... wonderful... and anything else good you want to say...

a well designed megaphone is impossible to beat...and they look trick as **** too!!

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
when gary and i were testing his 70HP TRX years back... the best pipe setup was one of the Venom Super Short / stepped anti reversion headpipes.... coupled with a sparks megaphone section made for the yfz450...

VERY glad it now available for the TRX crowd!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
When I read his post on the explanation of that it made sense to me and I thought I was learning something too.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
For clarification before this thread goes to heck. There are different types of flame travel when discussing tech, notably combustion flame travel. My reference was to exhaust flame travel and how header diameters can dictate power.

·
Banned
2,591 Posts
If i had the extra money to spend this pipe would be on my quad, i think it's looks sick with the megaphone design.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
One small hijack
Is sand mountain nv going to happen this year?
I sure hope so, we have been working on that venue for 3 years. That would be a huge event, time will tell!

·
Registered
790 Posts
How does it compare to a Thunder Alley megaphone?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Performance would be very similar if not identical.
Cool. Then I'll save money and be content with what I already have. TA is awesome. If the Sparks is identical then good job.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts