Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. :D I've been looking around for a few weeks and figured it's time I join the forum. I just picked my 450 up last week so I have plenty of questions and will no doubt come here for advice and info. I've found a LOT of good stuff so far and have enjoyed reading many of your posts.

I'm coming off of a 400EX and I must say this R is an incredible machine. I am, however, already contemplating what modifications I want to add!

Here's the mandatory fresh from the showroom pic before its maden voyage:

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
hey man welcome to the site :D

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Welcome to the site! What mods do you have planned for it?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome. It's good to see this is a friendly group. B)

I don't have too many ideas on mods at this point. A set of Pro Armor will be here today which is a necessity due to some of the areas I ride. A 13 tooth sprocket might be nice so I can play with the gearing a little bit. beyond that I'm just trying to figure out the best "power package" for all around general riding. I've been going nuts reading about cams and exhaust all the while trying to pick the combo that will work well for me.

I can't decide which cam will best suit a wide variety of riding. Stock I am pretty pleased with the bottom (more would never hurt!) but I would like more of a mid range kick and more pull up top. I'm afraid of the HRC cam because of the loss of bottom, but I know it will most likely offer the mid kick and top end pull that I want. I just DON'T want to loose any of this awesome torque!

I really like the remarks you guys are giving that DR.D exhuast and I think that will be my choice, but do I pair it with:

Stage 2 Hotcam?

Sparks aggressive cam?

HRC kit?

In my mind the HRC seems like the way to go since I get all the other pieces to rejet and open up the airbox. Based on what I've read I'm thinking that combined with the DR.D, a 13 tooth sprocket, and maybe, just maybe the Vortex ignition, this will give me the torque AND the top end.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
desert_450r has about the same setup you are thinking about running, I'll let him speak for himself though.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
When doing anything to your bike don't make the mistake of adding just one thing. It's the combo that really helps your bike. In another words, don't just add a cam without anything else. You will not get that much out of it. Put a pipe and the cam in together to make that big change! :D
On my 450R I added a cam, a slip-on and a FCR carb and let me tell you. It is a complete different quad now. Very, very, fast and I'm very happy with it!

·
Registered
824 Posts
welcome to the site. good luck with your 450 man, at least better then i did, lol. if you want checkout my thread on the general talk section. def at a pipe an a K&N first. you will notice a huge diff in performance.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, I finished my first mods this weekend. I got my Pro Armor on and am quite pleased with it. I had Pro Armor on my 400EX and feel that it is some of the best. I like the attention to detail and find the brushed finish easier to deal with than polished skids. It's amazing how quickly a Scotch Brite pad makes this stuff look like new!

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Nice, how much was the swinger skid and where did you get it?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lukester: I picked em' up from Magic Racing. They had a good price and it is even better if you register on their site. Reg price was $119 and it was $109 with the "member discount". I like the rear skid because it has a nice tie down/tow hook opening which I don't think any others have. If all I did was ride MX I guess the stocker would be okay, but I've caught rocks where I ride that would have killed that sucker. :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts