Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done throwing on the new bars and speedo. Looks pretty cool IMO. The only thing I have left to do is attach the sensor to the knuckle. I forgot I let my neighbors borrow my drill the other day so it will have to wait untill tomorrow. Only thing was I didnt want to get rid of the cover for the key and dummy light so I kept it on there but now I cant remove the key as easily but its cool since I only take it out when parking it for a while out of site and transporting it, plus I can still see the dummy light. I also finally threwe on my 13 tooth sprocket, what a difference!

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Nice man..Hey i seen that same speedo in a mag..and how would it work without the battery..Does the clock not keep its time or how does that work?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Originally posted by Mitco39@Jul 19 2004, 11:50 PM
Nice man..Hey i seen that same speedo in a mag..and how would it work without the battery..Does the clock not keep its time or how does that work?
It has a small watch battery inside the speedo, and the wire runs down to the brake rotor and there are 2 magnets, evertime the magnet passes by in a certain time, it tells it thats one mph or something like that. They are very nice, i loved mine till it broke off when i went over the handlebars. the website is trialtech.com, im pretty sure. BTW, that thing is LOADED with features, a clock, backlight, speedo, service time, are just a few things you would find on that thing.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, like hondaracer said. It has a watch battery in it. It goes to sleep after 30 minutes of no riding and when it senses the magnet turning (wheel turning) then it wakes up. When I was mounting this thing I was keeping in mind rolling the quad ove but I never thought about if I went over the bars. I guess my knee would go right into it huh?Any suggestions on where else to mount it where it wont get damaged but still easily viewed Hondaracer?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well there would be a small problem with using the stock dash and Renthal bars. The stack bars have a tab welded on them that the dash bolts onto to keep it in place. The Renthals on the other hand dont have that tab welded on them so when I was installing the bars I was going to eliminate the dash and re-route my ignition switch like it is explained here. Anyway, after installing the bars I decided I didnt like the look of the stock stem so I just snapped the dash back on to get an idea and the top bar and pad on the Renthals actaully hold the dash from flying off not to mention the wiring and the vent line from the gas cap would keep it from flying off as well. The bars are REAL nice and lighter than stock by a long shot and I would recommend them to anyone. I ordered them specifically for the 450R but after I got them I noticed they are the same part number as the 400EX so that is something to keep in mind as there are a lot more options out there for the 400EX right now. The speedo comes with a bracket to bolt onto the bars or a seperate bracket to attach it to a flat surface but I couldnt find anywhere I liked. I mounted the speedo low enough so that if I rolled the quad the ground would hit the brake resivour and throttle assembly before it made contact with the speedo but fortunatly it hasnt been tested yet. They do however make a billet dash for the 450R that would solve all these problems and it would provide a spot for the ignition switch, dummy light and the speedo all where the stock dash is now but with the top bar on the renthals I doubt you would be able to see the speedo which is why I didnt go this route. Let me know if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As far as I know the pitch and rise are identical to stock and I used the stock clamp. Here is a link to the billet dash but only the trail tech speedo will fit and it is made for big bars so keep that in mind if you go this route. Just click on the TRX450 link. I would personally run a GPS unit as well but I didnt have one and I worried about breakage and I would rather break a $75 speedo than a $200-300 GPS unit. Also the speedo is adjustable to calibrate it to your tire size which initially is a PITA but from what I understand it makes it very accurate. Also it has timers for oil changes and mechanical check ups, odometer, total hours, avereage speed/top speed. Thing has more features than Ill ever use.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I ordered the stock size bars so it would work with the stock clamp. If I ever went to the billet dash I would probably bit the bullet and order a set of Fasst Flexxbars, I hear they are awsome for removing all the vibrations but they are a little pricey. Yeah the 13 tooth is awsome. Before, I was having issues stalling like I had never ridden a manual 4 wheeler before but now it took that all away. Also, it doesnt cause the quad to want to wheelie all the time like I thought it would have so that is also pretty cool. I only rode it up and down the street last night so I dont have a lot of time with it. I tightened my chain a little too much and need to loosen it up before I go hitting up any trails or fields.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Lason@Jul 20 2004, 12:51 PM
Yeah the 13 tooth is awsome. Before, I was having issues stalling like I had never ridden a manual 4 wheeler before but now it took that all away. Also, it doesnt cause the quad to want to wheelie all the time like I thought it would have so that is also pretty cool. I only rode it up and down the street last night so I dont have a lot of time with it. I tightened my chain a little too much and need to loosen it up before I go hitting up any trails or fields.
**UPDATE** I loosened up my chain and tad and WOW did it ever wake this thing up. This thing is a wheelie monster now. Anyway just thought I would share since I threw some bad info out before.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You also have to remember Im running a HRC kit so the results wont be so extreme stock Im sure. Ill put it this way. I went out and tried it after loosening the chain and I had a hard time keeping the front end down practicing holeshots, alot harder than before. The cool thing is thing thing is SOOOOOOO much easier to ride now because it doesnt have the tendacy to stall every time I hit an incline creeping in 1st. I cant say Ill be going back to the 14 tooth anytime soon.

·
Registered
870 Posts
desert_450R, there is a thread in the Suspension and Chasis forum titled "Handle Bar Question" that has some good pictures of WOWA450RRRR's trail tech setup, I have the same setup except for my bars are a smoke color. On the front of the clamps there is an area that is designed to hold the speedo/computer like the one that Lason has, it is a very nice setup. The bars are from trail tech as well. Click HERE to go to the thread, the pictures are on the 2nd page. I am very happy with mine.

·
Registered
325 Posts
hey,
Do those speedo's stand up to the mud and stuff thrown at it or are they pretty much a dry item you want to keep nice and dry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts