Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going riding this sunday and I haven't had a chance to dial my bike in. I have recently installed a HMF full system Bill Balance pipe. I run a Curtis Sparks Airfilter with no lid. I live in Indiana and it is typically 80 degees. What is my carb setup?

Currently I have a 195 main, the Curtis Sparks needle on the 3rd from top clip and the fuel screw turned out 4 turns. When I start the bike it bogs a bit when giving it gas until it is warmed up, then it is fine. If I gun it while it is in nuetral and having not been ridden black smoke comes out of the pipe (this stops when it has been ridden and doesn't happen while riding). I haven't been able to open her up yet, but would liek to get her setup as close to perfect before I head to the riding spot. It's sand and I hate playing with the carb in sand.

Any help would be very much appreciated. If anyone has this same setup, pleas let me know how you have your carb setup.

thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
i dont know what elevation your at but even at sea level i think that would be rich, when i had a yoshimura on my 450r i raced the same bikes on the same hill trying different jetting the best set up for me was 185 main, #3 on hrc needle, 48 pilot and 1-3/4 turns any richer than that i would actually loose power some people will swear that there jetting is right on but it is very hard to tell you loose power unless you have a bike beside you to compare

·
Registered
986 Posts
i'm running same pipe no lid and white bros filter. had mine tuned at dryer honda i think i'm at a 190 main, needle down one, and air screw is around 2.5 out.

try leaning out that air screw and see what it does or just call them and see if they can get you in for a tune session

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
desert_450r, I not sure who, but they make a "T" handle setup that works with the FCR carb for the mixture screw. I'm sure someone should make something similar for the stock carb! :) I think in last months issue of DW it was in there or maybe you can call sudco! That is if you don't want to make one! I'm going to buy one for my FCR. Just not sure when!! I had one put in my 465ex with the FCR carb.

·
Registered
810 Posts
On sparks's website I believe he rcommends the 190main(this is what he told me) and the rest of what you said is what he told me. As far as your elevation goto www.topozone.com . I hpoe this helps.......

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm going riding this sunday and I haven't had a chance to dial my bike in. I have recently installed a HMF full system Bill Balance pipe. I run a Curtis Sparks Airfilter with no lid. I live in Indiana and it is typically 80 degees. What is my carb setup?

Currently I have a 195 main, the Curtis Sparks needle on the 3rd from top clip and the fuel screw turned out 4 turns. When I start the bike it bogs a bit when giving it gas until it is warmed up, then it is fine. If I gun it while it is in nuetral and having not been ridden black smoke comes out of the pipe (this stops when it has been ridden and doesn't happen while riding). I haven't been able to open her up yet, but would lik to get her setup as close to perfect before I head to the riding spot. It's sand and I hate playing with the carb in sand.

Any help would be very much appreciated. If anyone has this same setup, pleas let me know how you have your carb setup.

thanks[/b]
I would lower your main to a 190 main jet, I have a very similar setup and have found that a 195 was too rich, I'm actually using a 188 main jet that came with the sparks jet kit. Now I'm assuming you are using a Sparks Air Filter. Now when you say that you have the fuel screw turned out 4 turns, do you mean the air screw on the bottom of the carb? If so it should be turned out 2.5 turns. Try that out and see how it works.

sounds a tad rich to me ... I have heard this is sparks recommendation though ... It's wierd because almost every pipe maker is saying 185 main, middle clip, and 2 1/2 turns out ... How sparks came to the thought they need that much more fuel than everyone else's pipe puzzles me ...[/b]
I tried running my setup with no airbox lid and a 185 main jet, and it was a tad bit too lean on the bottom, so I definately would run richer than 185 with no airbox lid. I think the main reason for this is that the sparks airfilter flows a bit more than the stock filter, hence more jet is needed. If you run a cut airbox lid, then a 185 works perfect.
Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts