Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Trx450r 04 cuts off while I am holding in the clutch . The bike will turn right back on first kick . I’ve changed the kill switch , tightened my clutch and I also had some one clean the carburetor for me . I have no clue what it could be . I’ve had the whole bottom end of the engine rebuilt as well . Does anyone know what it could possibly be ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
My Trx450r 04 cuts off while I am holding in the clutch . The bike will turn right back on first kick . I’ve changed the kill switch , tightened my clutch , turned my idle up and I also had some one clean the carburetor for me .I’ve also had all new liquids put in the bike , I did an oil change and replaced the old filter . Please lmk if you have any idea what it could be . I have no clue what it could be . I’ve had the whole bottom end of the engine rebuilt as well . Any information will help I’m lost on this one . Does anyone know what it could possibly be ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Trx450r 04 cuts off while I am holding in the clutch . The bike will turn right back on first kick . I’ve changed the kill switch , tightened my clutch and I also had some one clean the carburetor for me . I have no clue what it could be . I’ve had the whole bottom end of the engine rebuilt as well . Does anyone know what it could possibly be ?
I'm not an expert, but will try to get the conversation started. I need more information to start with. When started, can you actually get in gear and get moving? Will it run down the road without issue? Does it idle fine in neutral, and then die when you pull in cluth and put it in gear? Trying to determine is it a Spark, fuel, clutch adjustment, or other problem..

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,558 Posts
I agree with him ^^^^, try to be a little more descriptive and let us know what’s going on. If it’s an 04 and it dies only when the clutch is pulled in it has to be mechanically related. You say that you tightened your clutch, but the clutch cable should not be tight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not an expert, but will try to get the conversation started. I need more information to start with. When started, can you actually get in gear and get moving? Will it run down the road without issue? Does it idle fine in neutral, and then die when you pull in cluth and put it in gear? Trying to determine is it a Spark, fuel, clutch adjustment, or other problem..
When I start it yes I can get it in gear . I can actually ride it for about an hour before it starts to act up . And it’ll idle fine for the First hour or so after that it’ll idle for a little then turn off on its own Even if it’s in neutral . Also when I’m riding and I get to about 3rd-4th gear and I try to hold in to the clutch to slow down the bike will shut off completely

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay. Like I said, I'm not an expert.. So With your added description, I would not be looking at the clutch or transmission. The fact that you can get started, in gear, and riding, for an hour so, I would lean more towards Air, Fuel, or Temperature.. I have found my 450 does not like aged pump gas, especially 87 octane. These quads are definitely better off running higher octane fuel. Pump gas tends to sour fast. I find it best to freshen gas after two weeks of sitting. When I'm doen riding, I treat mine like an old two stroke, by turning the gas valve off, and letting it idle until it shuts off. Pump gas will eveaporate in the carbuerator, and leave deposits on the needles and jets clogging them up. If your quad is hard to start, but eventually will, Its possible your carb has a clogged jet, for low idle. If it starts fine, and idles fine for the first hour, then maybe your having a small air leak crop up at the head or cylinder due to expansion after the engine heats up. Just trying to help out, hoping someone with more knowledge can help diagnose your issue..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks but it turned out to be my ignition coil cap . For some reason it wasn’t staying down on the spark plug it was coming loose and causing it to power of when my rpms were low

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,558 Posts
Thanks but it turned out to be my ignition coil cap . For some reason it wasn’t staying down on the spark plug it was coming loose and causing it to power of when my rpms were low
thanks for posting what you found out! Always nice to read about someone finding and fixing the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts