Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The quad starts right up and accelerates just fine and it pops wheelies on first gear but when I go full throttle or even half throttle on any gear it accelerates then stops and goes again almost like it looses power and kicks back in. It does it all the way up to third gear possibly 4th. Current set up is 180 and 48 stage one cam. Just got a valve lash I believe it still has the stock header with a slip on drd exhaust. New uni intake filter the lid is a half one not sure if it makes a difference not sure if it’s the stock one or aftermarket one. Any help is appreciated I did swap the stock Jet the 118 I think to 180

·
Registered
2004 TRX450R
125 Posts
Not sure, maybe someone else on here has an idea on this. I know I experienced the same type of scenario as you described and it was the tiniest piece of hard contaminant in the bowl keeping it from staying full under aggressive acceleration or getting sucked into the fuel stream until letting off throttle and fall back into bowl. I had removed, cleaned, and replaced everything I could in the carb and still did the same thing. When cleaning I dropped the bowl on my work bench and when I picked it up there was a grain the size of a sharp pencil lead underneath the bowl. I assumed this was it, idk where it was hiding but ran perfect after removal. I would have never found it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Do you have the Stock Carb or do you have the FCR upgrade?

Have you messed with your mid range needle?

What is your elevation?

Going from a 118 to a 180 is pretty huge jump in Jetting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have the Stock Carb or do you have the FCR upgrade?

Have you messed with your mid range needle?

What is your elevation?

Going from a 118 to a 180 is pretty huge jump in Jetting.
I have the stock carb, haven’t messed with the needle and elevation is about 200ranges anywhere from 151 to 330

·
Registered
8 Posts
You're way to rich on the main. I just went through this on an 05 as well. When i bought the bike it had a 188 main and i had to drop all the way down to 172 before it was right. I have stock carb, stage 2 hotcam, +1 titanium intake and exhaust valves, dasa pipe, uni w/ open airbox and crf450 ignition.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I was just update apparently I’m running an Hrc lid which I did not know. So I think I was running to lean but doesn’t explain why when I switch the main from 155-185 still felt that I wasn’t getting enough fuel. Could it be that I need to move the needle clip down one?

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,607 Posts
A 155 to a 185 is a HUGE jump. Try some slightly smaller jets like a 175 or 180. And if it is like you are hitting a early rev limiter like doubleJ33 is asking, then you are too rich.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
More than likely its going to be 1 of 2 things: you're too rich on the main or the stator could be going out. I would start with the easiest and go down on the main.
That’s just it I went back to stock everything is running perfect with no issues. When I went to a 185 it was bad but got better when I went down in increments of ten to 155. But I thought I was too lean as it was lunging forward like it wasn’t getting enough fuel and then I’d let of the throttle and a lot of popping would come out. Previous owner put on a DRD exhaust and hrc lid

·
Registered
8 Posts
That’s just it I went back to stock everything is running perfect with no issues. When I went to a 185 it was bad but got better when I went down in increments of ten to 155. But I thought I was too lean as it was lunging forward like it wasn’t getting enough fuel and then I’d let of the throttle and a lot of popping would come out. Previous owner put on a DRD exhaust and hrc
[QUOTE="Ray77031, post: 2922287, member: 144062
I'm having a hard time following what your saying. Right now what pilot and main is in the bike?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[QUOTE="Ray77031, post: 2922287, member: 144062
I'm having a hard time following what your saying. Right now what pilot and main is in the bike?
Right now it’s stock 48 and 118. It has an hrc lid DRD exhaust and stage one cam. I changed the 118 because it hesitates and lags. So I went up to a 185 which caused the quad to be responsive. But it would start to lunge and sag in all gears when I’m giving it more than half throttle. So I worked my way down to 155 which was the lowest I had besides the stock 118jet. The lunging forward and sagging was doing it less. I thought I was too lean due to the thread on this forum about jetting

·
Registered
8 Posts
Right now it’s stock 48 and 118. It has an hrc lid DRD exhaust and stage one cam. I changed the 118 because it hesitates and lags. So I went up to a 185 which caused the quad to be responsive. But it would start to lunge and sag in all gears when I’m giving it more than half throttle. So I worked my way down to 155 which was the lowest I had besides the stock 118jet. The lunging forward and sagging was doing it less. I thought I was too lean due to the thread on this forum about jetting
Ok gotcha. I know you said you have the stock carb. 04-05 use the same carb and 06-14 use the FCR carb. Im not sure which thread you read on jetting but be sure that whatever you read is for 04-05 only. You cant compare those 2 carbs jetting specs. I would get a 150 and 145 and see where youre at after trying those. Youre just gonna have to spend some more time on it to get it right. You said it has the stock head pipe on it with DRD slip on, HRC lid and stage 1 cam. With stock headpipe and just a slip on i wouldnt think your jetting would change a lot from stock 118. With the cam and HRC lid your going to need a bigger main jet but I have no idea how much bigger you need, maybe someone else will chime in. I still think youre rich on the main. On the popping on decel you should go up to a 50 on pilot or turn your fuel screw out 1/4 of a turn and see if that helps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts