Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a full rebuild on an 04. New crank, cp 12:1 piston, kibblewhite valves springs retainers and keepers, head decked and new seats by racers edge, new valve seals, new rings, new cylinder new everything....and it's just burning oil like crazy.. damn near a half a quart just idling for 5 minutes...I've had it apart down to the piston like 7 times in the last week and I'm almost to the point of selling it. I put a lot of money and over a year of gathering parts and building the entire quad along the way, any input on what could possibly be causing this pressure would be greatly appreciated. The assembled head holds gasoline on intake and exhaust ports...the bike runs AMAZING besides the oil burning. Starts first kick every time just burning oil. I have a fresh set of rings installed yesterday and a new cylinder installed last week. Its driving me insane

·
Registered
2014 trx450er
11 Posts
So I have a full rebuild on an 04. New crank, cp 12:1 piston, kibblewhite valves springs retainers and keepers, head decked and new seats by racers edge, new valve seals, new rings, new cylinder new everything....and it's just burning oil like crazy.. damn near a half a quart just idling for 5 minutes...I've had it apart down to the piston like 7 times in the last week and I'm almost to the point of selling it. I put a lot of money and over a year of gathering parts and building the entire quad along the way, any input on what could possibly be causing this pressure would be greatly appreciated. The assembled head holds gasoline on intake and exhaust ports...the bike runs AMAZING besides the oil burning. Starts first kick every time just burning oil. I have a fresh set of rings installed yesterday and a new cylinder installed last week. Its driving me insane
Do you know where its going when it's burning the oil( is it going out the exhaust or the crankcase vent?) Your rings could be to open, letting burn, but I doubt it would burn it that fast. Valve stems could be leaking down if you got bad seals. I not real sure on the positive crank case vent, I have heard that your supposed to have one on from factory but not sure if that's true.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Is the Piston a Brand New piston or did you reuse the old Piston? I have seen CP Pistons crack all the way across the top, usually it's a hair line fracture I highly suggest you check the Piston.

Did you make sure to Off Set the Piston Rings Gaps?

How about Gapping the Piston Ring? If it was not gapped enough (or no at all) it could have expanded and cracked a ring Lan and/or the piston ring/Rings. Usually .020" Is wat I set them at.

Make sure that your Crank Case Breather vent tube it not plugged into the side of the carburetor it's a Common mistake people make and the crankcase builds pressure and can blow seals, usually just blows the shifter seal out... That small vent tube coming out of the Crank Case (smallest tube). That small tube just goes up loops around and pushes into the plastic heat shield that sits between the Fuel Tank and Valve Cover.

Where are you Located by chance?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes its burning oil and going out the exhaust, it wwmas dripping bad with the cp exhaust gasket so I fixed it but it still drips a bit, by exhaust port is just caked with oil and all inside the header. And like I said, I replaced top end gasket kit, new OEM valve seals, new everything. Ring gaps are where they are supposed to be. I made sure to check multiple times that my rings were installed properly and not overlapping. My vent tubes were ran properly, I almost think it's my base gasket. But I thought that about multiple other things already lol. Nothing is connected to the Carburetor from the engine as far as hoses or vent tubes. And as far as the piston goes, after running it for however long I have and burning l that oil, it looks amazing. Not a single mark on it anywhere. Ring gaps are spaced out properly. I have no clue what to try anymore besides splitting the cases. I'm in pa

·
Registered
1 Posts
Probably stuffed piston with broken rings. Pull the spark plugs the black one will be the fault quite possible more failures on the other pistons. One of two things probably caused this, fuel mixture, or temperature overheat

·
Registered
2014 trx450er
11 Posts
Yes its burning oil and going out the exhaust, it wwmas dripping bad with the cp exhaust gasket so I fixed it but it still drips a bit, by exhaust port is just caked with oil and all inside the header. And like I said, I replaced top end gasket kit, new OEM valve seals, new everything. Ring gaps are where they are supposed to be. I made sure to check multiple times that my rings were installed properly and not overlapping. My vent tubes were ran properly, I almost think it's my base gasket. But I thought that about multiple other things already lol. Nothing is connected to the Carburetor from the engine as far as hoses or vent tubes. And as far as the piston goes, after running it for however long I have and burning l that oil, it looks amazing. Not a single mark on it anywhere. Ring gaps are spaced out properly. I have no clue what to try anymore besides splitting the cases. I'm in pa
My buddy just rebuilt one and it was building excess pressure too. He believes it to be the base gasket as well, wouldn’t be a bad thing to check

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Probably stuffed piston with broken rings. Pull the spark plugs the black one will be the fault quite possible more failures on the other pistons. One of two things probably caused this, fuel mixture, or temperature overheat
Not to be rude but did you even read what I posted?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also have a temperature gauge/ radiator cap and run engine ice and it doesnt come close to overheating
My buddy just rebuilt one and it was building excess pressure too. He believes it to be the base gasket as well, wouldn’t be a bad thing to check
Ok thanks. And that sucks for him too man hope he gets it figured out. Let me know what the fix is if he does lol. Also the quad runs amazing besides the burning almost a quart oil in a 20 minute ride

·
Registered
2014 trx450er
11 Posts
I also have a temperature gauge/ radiator cap and run engine ice and it doesnt come close to overheating

Ok thanks. And that sucks for him too man hope he gets it figured out. Let me know what the fix is if he does lol. Also the quad runs amazing besides the burning almost a quart oil in a 20 minute ride
His bike is a 510 stroker rips pretty good, has some charging issues as well, but i think He’s replacing the base gasket. I’ll get back with you when i know.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
His bike is a 510 stroker rips pretty good, has some charging issues as well, but i think He’s replacing the base gasket. I’ll get back with you when i know.
I bought a new oem base gasket, should be here tomorrow...I was told to use the cometic top end gasket kit but I've bought 2 of them now and theres also oil seepage on the side of the head and cylinder and cases where all the gaskets are.

Once I get my white plastic this thing is gonna be look awesome...but I'm almost to the point of not wanting to finish the build anymore

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 trx450er
11 Posts
I bought a new oem base gasket, should be here tomorrow...I was told to use the cometic top end gasket kit but I've bought 2 of them now and theres also oil seepage on the side of the head and cylinder and cases where all the gaskets are.

Once I get my white plastic this thing is gonna be look awesome...but I'm almost to the point of not wanting to finish the build anymore
Looks good, I personally have the 520 stroker big bore kit haven't finished it yet, still got put the top end together, but all my stuff is gasket king i believe, but it is a cometic kit, I wasn't a huge fan of the case gasket didn't line up very well but I got the bolts back in it and everything seemed to work as of right now haven't had a chance to get it hot yet. Got the wrong cam sent to me and still have to do my rings, then put the jug and head on, I would recommend OEM stuff all day before buying any aftermarket. I've been doing a build series on my quad ill post the link here to my channel.
That's the first video in the series, I have also done a bunch of other work getting the quad cleaned up and ready to go back together.

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,641 Posts

Im not trying to rip on you or be a prick, but you are doing something, or likely, many things, wrong. I build many of these motors, always use Cometic gaskets and never have had a single issue, same with many other builders. For you to be burning as much oil that you are saying you are is insane. If you were burning that much oil it simply wouldn’t run. Quality gaskets don’t just randomly leak after installation. It’s not your base gasket, absolutely guarantee that, you could run the thing with no base gasket and not have any issues. There is some major thing that you are overlooking.

You need to just step back, take a breath, and realize you are not experienced and people are trying to help you. Don’t be so quick to fire back at somebody for making a suggestion.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im not trying to rip on you or be a prick, but you are doing something, or likely, many things, wrong. I build many of these motors, always use Cometic gaskets and never have had a single issue, same with many other builders. For you to be burning as much oil that you are saying you are is insane. If you were burning that much oil it simply wouldn’t run. Quality gaskets don’t just randomly leak after installation. It’s not your base gasket, absolutely guarantee that, you could run the thing with no base gasket and not have any issues. There is some major thing that you are overlooking.

You need to just step back, take a breath, and realize you are not experienced and people are trying to help you. Don’t be so quick to fire back at somebody for making a suggestion.
Lmao what are you even saying. It literally is burning that much oil... idc how many engines you've built lmao theres literally that much oil being burnt. I know for a fact I'm doing everything right. Just cuz it's my first one doesnt mean I dont know anything. If you are the best in the world, then tell me my problem. Switching to the oem base gasket definitely helped my oil consumption because theres actually oil in my sight glass now, thecometic gaskets I got are trash apparently. The cometic and oem base gasket are different. Oem oil passage on the base gasket has a raised galley and flows normal, the cometic has an indentation for increased oil pressure. I looked at them both when I got.my base gasket. Idk if that is part of it or what...and I've stepped back and taken a breath about 15 times there bud. I just need help and none of you are actually saying anything useful lol. "cHeCk YoUr VaLvE sEaLs"

EVERYTHING IS NEW

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Send me a message with your number and we can video call and I can show you exactly what's happening

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,641 Posts
With that attitude I’m not going to offer what I think the solution is, or any help for that matter. You said yourself, you know for a fact that you are doing everything right. Well, if you have done everything right iT shOuLd BE RuNinG, BUD. Why is it the ones that know it all seem to have the most problems, huh, funny how that works. . . . .

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
With that attitude I’m not going to offer what I think the solution is, or any help for that matter. You said yourself, you know for a fact that you are doing everything right. Well, if you have done everything right iT shOuLd BE RuNinG, BUD. Why is it the ones that know it all seem to have the most problems, huh, funny how that works. . . . .
Like I said, I've replaced valve seals etc etc etc. All the people keep saying the same shit. You seemed to be trying to talk down on me. I have a clymer manual and literally read the whole thing before I did any work. I followed all the instructions to a t and even disassembled things for a double check. What I'm telling you is, all the stuff I've been hearing, I've done, and I know ive done correctly because ive had help from a few trusted people in my area. Sorry to sound rude about it. I'm just frustrated and tired of hearing the same answers from people that say they "know their stuff"...like I've done the valve seal thing, I've done the ring thing, on my 3rd set of cometic gaskets. I will say, once I changed the base gasket to oem, my oil consumption slowed way down. So, take it for what you want man its nothing personal. Maybe I am a dumb f*** and dont know anything at all. But seems to me, that my engine wouldn't start very first kick and run like a raped tape on cocaine, if it WASN'T put together correctly

·
Registered
2014 trx450er
11 Posts
Hey man, wanted to update you with what is going on with my buddies quad. He thinks the rings he got some bad rings and that it’s getting to much blow by. This is in combination with a bad base gasket. He got the rings warrantied, and is just waiting for the time to get it fixed. That’s what we think is the main problem but will keep you updated about it. Good luck on yours!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Man, I would hope that cp didnt send me 2 bad sets of rings AND 2 bad sets of gasket lol. I'm on my 3rd set of cp rings and I'm just going oem with the gaskets but I gotta wait a couple more weeks to save some money for some possible bigger expenses lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts