Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2008 trx450er recently. The thing is stock besides and exhaust system. I’m looking to do some engine upgrades to make it faster. I have no clue where to start or how it even works. I’ve heard people needing to get the quad jetted after engine upgrades. What is that? Can I do it myself? do I need to do it? I have no clue where to start or how so any info would be great, thanks

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,154 Posts
If you’re a complete noob to wrenching on engines I suggest you do a lot of reading. There are lots of stickies at the top of different forums, especially at the top of the engine forum that you posted this thread in. Reading through those will give you a lot of baseline knowledge. The jetting sticky is especially helpful. And yes, for most mods you will need to jet your carburetor. If you allow your engine to breath more effienctly and get more air, you need to add fuel in order to keep the air/fuel ratio correct.

A lot of people minimize the importance of knowing what your doing and having the proper tools to work on these engines, but it’s very important. I’ve rebuilt and fixed many motors that have failed that Could have been prevented from doing a job properly. I mean nothing negative about this, but if you are questioning whether you can jet the carb yourself which is probably the easiest performance thing to do on your quad, You need to evaluate whether you can do much more complex things Like install a piston and gap the rings, set valve lash, check clearances, and so on.

the best thing to do is get a game plan for your build. what are your plans for the motor? Why do you need more power? Where do you want more power? What’s your budget? Etc. Just throwing random parts at the motor because you got a good deal on them isn’t necessarily going to make for a good fast build.

·
Truck Yea
5,387 Posts
If you want some decent power on a budget the best thing to do is to buy a stage 2 hotcam, better air filter like a uni brand one and a full exhaust. Those items along with the correct jetting will work fine for most people.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you want some decent power on a budget the best thing to do is to buy a stage 2 hotcam, better air filter like a uni brand one and a full exhaust. Those items along with the correct jetting will work fine for most people.
I have an upgraded air filter and a full exhaust as well. I’ve been reading about the stage 2 hotcams. Can I put just that in? Or is there something else with that that needs to go in as well? And afterwards do I need it jetted?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you’re a complete noob to wrenching on engines I suggest you do a lot of reading. There are lots of stickies at the top of different forums, especially at the top of the engine forum that you posted this thread in. Reading through those will give you a lot of baseline knowledge. The jetting sticky is especially helpful. And yes, for most mods you will need to jet your carburetor. If you allow your engine to breath more effienctly and get more air, you need to add fuel in order to keep the air/fuel ratio correct.

A lot of people minimize the importance of knowing what your doing and having the proper tools to work on these engines, but it’s very important. I’ve rebuilt and fixed many motors that have failed that Could have been prevented from doing a job properly. I mean nothing negative about this, but if you are questioning whether you can jet the carb yourself which is probably the easiest performance thing to do on your quad, You need to evaluate whether you can do much more complex things Like install a piston and gap the rings, set valve lash, check clearances, and so on.

the best thing to do is get a game plan for your build. what are your plans for the motor? Why do you need more power? Where do you want more power? What’s your budget? Etc. Just throwing random parts at the motor because you got a good deal on them isn’t necessarily going to make for a good fast build.
I am a complete noob when it comes to wrenching something I’ve never do but once I know what I need, I will Research and do what is needed to be able to fully do the work correctly. I need to know what to do in order to do what is needed of that makes sense. Where do I start with what parts

·
Truck Yea
5,387 Posts
I have an upgraded air filter and a full exhaust as well. I’ve been reading about the stage 2 hotcams. Can I put just that in? Or is there something else with that that needs to go in as well? And afterwards do I need it jetted?
I’d you have a full exhaust you shoulda gave jetted it already. The hot cam doesn’t need any jetting done

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’d you have a full exhaust you shoulda gave jetted it already. The hot cam doesn’t need any jetting done
Okay I wasn’t sure if after putting the hot cam in if it would need jetted again afterwards or not. If it’s something I can do again just to be sure I will. But a hot cam should be good for now? Should I do an upgraded position as well or no?

·
Truck Yea
5,387 Posts
Okay I wasn’t sure if after putting the hot cam in if it would need jetted again afterwards or not. If it’s something I can do again just to be sure I will. But a hot cam should be good for now? Should I do an upgraded position as well or no?
Cam should be fine. Make sure you buy one for your year 08 and newer can’t use ones for older models

Piston doesn’t need to be replaced unless you want to rebuild it or it’s burning oil badly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay I wasn’t sure if after putting the hot cam in if it would need jetted again afterwards or not. If it’s something I can do again just to be sure I will. But a hot cam should be good for now?
Cam should be fine. Make sure you buy one for your year 08 and newer can’t use ones for older models

Piston doesn’t need to be replaced unless you want to rebuild it or it’s burning oil badly.
Sounds good I appreciate the advice

1 - 9 of 9 Posts