Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright... where to start? I have Mickey building my 500r top end using new cores. I'm in Canada and I don't want to loose my quad for a very long time. Thats why the new cores are being used.

Gabe had mentioned the MegaCycle X1 grind... so that has led me down the path of non drop in cams.

I called them the lady @megacycle wasn't very helpful and didn't want to let me talk to anyone else. But the cams they sell are new billet according to her. The X1,X2 & X3 as listed on there website, under the CRF. No TRX based cams. http://www.megacyclecams.com/catalog/catalog.pdf page 28

Also all there cams need "degree key, racing piston, shortened valve guides, racing springs, blah blah blah ect..." I sorta phased out

I also talked to a lady at webcam she was a little nicer answering questions. She was saying there are new billet cams to be in mid October. She thought they were TRX based, im sure. (I should take better notes) Specs for the top and mid top cams were.

Webcam's new ones.
Top end: Intake lift = 432; duration at 50 thou=260
Exhaust lift = 350; duration =260

Mid Top: Intake lift = 408; duration =258
Exhaust lift = 342; duration =262

We all know the hot cam by now (current cam), for the sake of beating a dead horse.

Hotcam St2: Intake lift = 397; Duration at? =248
Exhaust lift = 342; Duration =268

Oh well here the mega cycle

X1 Intake lift = 430; Duration at 40 thou=266
Exhaust lift = 385; Duration =282

X2 Intake lift = 412; Duration = 260
Exhaust lift = 350; Duration = 268

X3 Intake lift = 435; Duration =276
Exhaust lift = 385; Duration =276

I sorta have to do all this because when I talked to Mickey the other day he said he didn't know of any non drop in cams for the motor
He didn't even try to sell me one of his cams, so currently I am more than lost.

Please help me, or set me on the right path to getting this done.

Thanks

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
hulk, 500cc is more to feed than 450cc obviously. it's a little strange that the builder of the 500cc motor can offer no insight into cam selection.

since gabe mentioned the x1 cam to you i will wait to hear gabe's cam choice and reasoning for such until i tell you my choice.

my big question is : what cam would brad run?

...............mixxer

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
the hrc is the highest power without extra work such as springs\ flycutting pockets \ cutting cam towers...............mixxer

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
X1 or X3 - increased displacement allows you to run a more aggressive cam. You'll also need to run a more aggressive cap to keep the power up high since increasing displacement will move the curve lower in the RPM band.

Unfortunately, both those cams require a lot more work than the HRC - which is the cam I'd recommend if you are only willing to do the drop in thang.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
The HRC cam is great but it defintely does not have the overrev that the non-drop ins do.

For most people, stopping with the HRC is the ticket. For those not afraid of the extra expense, work, and the "bang for the buck ratio", the bigger cams compliment a high compression/increased displacement setup nicely and will allow the 450R to pull thru the upper limits of the RPM curve more like a YFZ. On the dyno there is a difference of several HP at the revlimit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
To drop in the X1 cam what needs to be ground out??? Already putting in HD springs, titanium retainers, port job... want biggest bang for buck ya know! Need to do best to keep up with 727 Raptor & 425 P.V. 250r in ice race. Do I need shortened guides? Would do work myself if this is possible with out having to be a machinist. Does anyone make aftermarket titanium valves or OEM only? Mickey says no problems with OEM ti. valves.

This is Hulk, my bro wrote the top portion... just to diffuse any confusion his post may cause. He's the mechanic, I only understand 2-strokes...
ahhh 2-strokes

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
don't worry, the 727 raptor will blow a head gasket before the end of the race and the 425 guys hands will go numb from vibration ^_^

the x1 requires that you sink (not cut) the intake guides at least .050"to prevent the retainer from smashing the oil seal. kinda bad.

the intake valve relief pockets on the piston will require at least an additional .025" of flycutting to prevent REALLY bad things from happening. you will have to check these clearances via the claying method since the tolerances on individual motors stack differently.

you will have to cut the lobe channels in your cam tower by hand, with a die grinder, or the lobes wont even clear for for one revolution. apparently this is not a problem for this cam in the crf cam tower. i don't know why, or if, the towers are actually different, or interchangeable.

the x2 cam is the most rad cam you can install without all these changes. it is SLIGHTLY more rad than the hrc cam , but a lot more expensive.

good luck with whatever setup you choose............................mixxer

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it turns out. I just have to make up my mind B)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't own a 450r but what some of the guys are reporting the HRC cam would be the ideal cam for your engine build if retaining the stock carb.

If you are going to the FCR 39,40, or 41mm carb then go with the Web Cam for more top end. Shift point should be around 9500 to 9800rpm's. Then the only other mod would be an updated CDI for higher rpm.

I own a 740 Raptor, 10.6:1 compression, dual 39mm FCR's, Craycraft Racing cam more aggressive than 685 web, and I run nothing but super unleaded in it. I shift at 9700 rpm, my jetting is 145,148mj, 60pj. this bike can do almost anything I want, dunes, drags, whatever!!!

I have never blown a head gasket!

·
Registered
175 Posts
In the Oct issue of dirtwheels, there is a FST 500R in it and it says. FST installed their own Billet Cam [$250] and a set of 4 hevey-duty valve springs for$160.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I plan to get the CRF carb, same as 86250r and mixxer. Before the year is out. I have a vortex cdi already. I know a lot of people keep saying the hrc but I want more aggressive.

Right now with my current set-up, Yoshi ti-pro, hotcam st2, modded air box lid, w/ k&n filter. It's doing alright against yfz. I raced any 450r's yet, (well one ice racing but mine was stock then, and had bad tyres so it was no contest for him) hopefuly I can find one with a hrc kit. On more equal footing. Just to see whats it's all about.

Mickey has a cam but it's not much different than a hrc so other members have said. But again I am not goiing drop in.

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
Originally posted by Ernie660R@Oct 3 2004, 12:53 PM
I don't own a 450r but what some of the guys are reporting the HRC cam would be the ideal cam for your engine build if retaining the stock carb.

If you are going to the FCR 39,40, or 41mm carb then go with the Web Cam for more top end. Shift point should be around 9500 to 9800rpm's. Then the only other mod would be an updated CDI for higher rpm.

I own a 740 Raptor, 10.6:1 compression, dual 39mm FCR's, Craycraft Racing cam more aggressive than 685 web, and I run nothing but super unleaded in it. I shift at 9700 rpm, my jetting is 145,148mj, 60pj. this bike can do almost anything I want, dunes, drags, whatever!!!

I have never blown a head gasket!
ernie , you haven't blown a head gasket because you have such mild compression. my comment is for high compression raptors.

it might be just me , but i kinda got the feeling that on this site, guys like to exchange info with people who actually own trx450s'. B)

mixxer

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One more thought on this. On the 400ex motors which were heavily modified some people had run and tapped an auxilery oil feed into the top end. I was thinking since this is going to be a high comp, very high reving motor. Could I apply this idea to the 450r. Would I just tap into one of the oil cooler lines and simply run a feed into the head, through the valve cover?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Mixxer, I don't know about you but the human mind is like a sponge. It will absorb all kinds of information if you let it. The point of me joining all kinds of forums is to learn from others and not make the same mistakes twice. I have a lot of friends that ride Hondas TRX450R's, I have built two 11.0:1 416EX's with stock carbs that eat up 440's with 39mm FCR's.
I can contribute to any forum I wish, unless you can get a petition together to get me off!!!

You know you are the first person on any of the eigth atv forums I am a part of that came out and said if you don't own a 450r you should not be saying anything.

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
ernie, sorry about the actually owning one thing , but your numbers in your posts (shift points, carb recommendations, etc.
) are so absurdly far off the mark that i was trying to get you to continue annoying the people on the 8 other forums you mentioned. unless they already have their petitions completed. :D

.....................mixxer

P.S. someone has to be first

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
lighten up guys!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well I can tell how your mind obsorbs information, not very well Mixxer. If only you had a clue!!

You seem to have issues that follow you around as you type, could it be insecurities. Anyway enough of this childs play. I promise to play nice from here on out Lukster720.

And to all a good night!!!

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
Well I can tell how your mind obsorbs information, not very well Mixxer. If only you had a clue!!
[/QUOTE]

ernie, is obsorbs anything like absorbs???!!

why don't you read a few more of my posts and suck a little more information into that sponge brain of yours?

or you can hit up my website www.viciouscycleperformance.com for a few more tech articles

until my recent business venture, my day job has been as a CMD (my night job has always been as an engine builder for several michigan bike shops) , that's the member of the medical physics group involved with radiation therapy treatment plan generation for cancer patients. and actually there has been less than 1000 people to pass the national certification boards (i am #973). they test once a year and the test group prides themselves on less than 30% pass rates for their tests.
you get 3 chances to pass the exam over a 3 year period and if you don't make it, you are required to repeat ALL of your education and provide documentation before you can try again.

i am fully confident that my sponge OBSORBS :lol: pretty well

now go rev your raptor up to 9700 and start shifting YEEEEEHAAWWWWW!!!!

..........................mixxer

·
Registered
93 Posts
AHHH, you finally responded Mixxer. Well I am glad you have a job and not just another key board warrior.

You know you have helped other people in your field of profession and I am proud of you so why don't you help people on the forum instead of being just another wise quack. People would respect you a lot more for the valuable information you give, instead of the insults.

Well like you said there had to be a first, so I am nominating you for the village idiot of the TRX450R forum. Do I have a second!!!

Mixxer pretend like you own a fast quad!!! You still don't have a clue....

·
Registered
810 Posts
ernie, mixxer has alot to offer this site. He helped me with my quad jetting and gave me a true reading of the power my quad was making versus his with the dyno that is in his garage. His r makes more power than mine and mine has a yosh pipe, sparks cam, filter, jet kit and a FST 500cc kit. Lets not even get into his raptor. He knows his stuff.........

1 - 20 of 24 Posts