Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Kickstart, and when I got it had some issues. Had a car air filter with sand inside it, missing parts, stuff like that. Cleaned the carb out, and I got a K&N filter and a White Brothers E2 exhaust. That's all I've done to it, and it's doesn't idle. It a 155 main and 48 pilot. I thought the pilot jet was to small so I 52 pilot, and now it idles on choke but not when the choke is off. I barely know how to take apart the carb. I don't know what to do any more and I don't wanna take it in because that's expensive.

·
Registered
2004 TRX450R
148 Posts
You don't want to learn to work on it, and you don't want to pay someone to work on it? Its not that hard, do you have a service manual?

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,668 Posts
If there was sand inside the filter, that means there is sand in the motor. Depending on how much, it could’ve scored the cylinder walls so badly that there’s no compression and it won’t want to idle. And that sand could be clogging jets in your carb as well. You’re either going to have to buy a new carb for it, or learn how to work on it yourself. Carbs are one of the most intricate systems on these quads so make sure you know what you are doing and replace all the gaskets. I recommend tearing it down 100% and soaking it all in Berrymans carb cleaner for a day, then reassembling.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If there was sand inside the filter, that means there is sand in the motor. Depending on how much, it could’ve scored the cylinder walls so badly that there’s no compression and it won’t want to idle. And that sand could be clogging jets in your carb as well. You’re either going to have to buy a new carb for it, or learn how to work on it yourself. Carbs are one of the most intricate systems on these quads so make sure you know what you are doing and replace all the gaskets. I recommend tearing it down 100% and soaking it all in Berrymans carb cleaner for a day, then reassembling.
I cleaned out the whole carb, my gaskets are ok. Cleaned out all my jets. The bike runs beautifully, it just doesn't idle. I don't think the sand got past the intake because we saw it in the filter but the was mostly fine, just a little dirty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts