Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to repair the damage to my house from Hurricane Frances and sell it. I don't know were I want to move to. I don't want too much snow or too cold of weather. I would like a place I can't ride most of the year if not year round. I am looking for opinions on were you live and how you like it. There also must be a lot of riding areas. Does anyone live on the edge of a State Forest that is legal to ride? Any help would be appreciated. This is going to be a big step for the wife and I so I want to gather as much information as possible before I make a decision. Unfortunately it isn't possible to go check out the whole country before I move. I have to rely on the realestate people and my friends (which would be you all). Thanks in advance for any help. Frank

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Well, I don't really think you would like indiana, the weather here gets way colder than what your used to, not to mention the snow. My grandma just moved here from Clearwater and likes it so far, but winter hasn't hit yet

There seem to be plenty of places to ride though

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I moved here in 1986 from New Jersey so I am familiar with the cold and snow. If it was up to my wife we would move to Maine or were her sister lives Alaska. She tells me you can get a snowmobile for the winter.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think Lexington KY is a great place to live and be a woods rider. There is something like 10 legal places to ride that are either free state places or daily charge places within 1.5 hours. Probably 5 within less then an hour. Everytime I ride I usually drive through Lexington to get there. That being said, if I was just moving anywhere I would move to Oregon, ride dunes one day, switch tires and ride national forest the next. But it does get cold up there...

·
Registered
242 Posts
you dont wana move to maine. long COLD winters less and less places to ride every year unless u move to northern maine where u wouldnt find and work and your closest neighbor would probally be a moose.

I here the Tennessee and kentucky region is quite nice with a lot of places to ride.

If i had to move it would probally be around there.

But i wouldnt come to maine.

although it would be nice to have more people to ride with.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Originally posted by BOONE450R@Sep 14 2004, 08:08 PM
where? and now where are you?
I lived in Houston and El Paso. I currently live in the Phoenix metro area and have been here for 9 years and love it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Originally posted by BOONE450R@Sep 14 2004, 08:18 PM
thats cool, i live in houston (north side) near the woodlands B)
I used to live in the Height area. A long time ago.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Try MMichigan... I know, you're saying it's too damn cold. But, The riding in this area is awesome. I live in Canada, but frequent the Michigan area often. In the mid-to-Northern part of the state has tonnes of trails and some nice state areas as well. I believe that the state of Michigan is very found of their ORV areas and are great supporters of our beloved sport. Not to mention Silver Lake sand dunes near Mears Michigan, on Lake Michigan.

I was just there this weekend and it was great riding. Sunday was busy, but Monday had 10 trailers in the parking lot. We had the whole place to ourselves.

Anyway,being Canadian, I'm sure your not going to move to Ontario :D , but, if I was moving to the States, Michigan rocks.

As far as the snow goes. Have you ever seen how awesome white roost looks?!! B)

Check out the Department of NAtural Resources website for this state to see more.

Good luck on your move, wherever it may be.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
HaHa how bout good ol canada....haha
...well one things for sure about this place...we have like an 8th ur guys population and were bigger...and that means more riding areas....lol but ya...good luck man decided where to live.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Originally posted by Mitco39@Sep 14 2004, 10:42 PM
HaHa how bout good ol canada....haha
...well one things for sure about this place...we have like an 8th ur guys population and were bigger...and that means more riding areas....lol but ya...good luck man decided where to live.
Yeah!! And one more thing...

Our Hockey Teams and Players ROCK!!!!! :D :D

World Champs BABY!!!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
California. Great weather, good lookin girls and they have the best dunes in America (Glamis and Dumont). Its a no brainer (other than the fact that a 1200sq ft home is prob like $350,000)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'd throw Birmingham in the mix with any of these other locations. We have a nice array of terrain, to add to about 4-5 tracks within the state. Alabama has a great gamut of locations. From hillclimb locations like Pocahontas, to PRIME woods/GNCC caliber riding/racing in Maplesville, you won't find too many places with such an assortment. Then there are the tracks with the likes of Monster Mountain in Montgomery, Corner MX 30 minutes West of B'ham, to Steele in the upper Northeast of Alabama. Not to mention over 8-9 HOT riding spots in the greater B'ham area alone.

Least I forget to mention that Loretta's is only a 4 hour drive.

Most importantly, the job market here is pretty stable. Yeah it's ALABAMA, but you'd be surprised at how NORMAL most Birminghamians are these days. Of course you run into Hank and Bubba (AKA Polaris Technicians) here and there. But let's be honest, you get that everywhere!

Being a South Florida transient over 15 years ago, I must say that B'ham is on the up and up. It's no West Palm, Ft. Lauderdale, or Miami ... then again, what other place is ??? But it is a nice place to raise a family, good football town atmosphere, and full of nice guys looking for new riding buddies!

I'll try to get some links to the tracks tomorrow. PM me if you have any detailed questions.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Dang, you almost have me ready to move there LOL. I'm sure July and August suck there though - too hot. Then again you can probably trail ride all winter...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ahhh yes .. July and August are quite toasty. However, there are plenty of lakes and the beach is only 3.5-4 hours away .. so the quads are put in the back of the garage and the jetski gets moved to the front!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am thinking of Kentucky. I can get 5 to 10 acres with a decent size house for less than $200,000. I have been in my house for 13 years now and property values are through the roof around here. If I was to move in my neighborhood now i wouldn't be able to afford it. I am looking to make about $180,000 profit when I sell so i will almost be able to pay cash if I play my cards right.

·
Registered
242 Posts
what do u do for work?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts