Honda TRX 450R banner

more sprocket talk

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Rico450R 
#1 ·
I know many have talked about changing the front sprocket on their bikes. I did this on my z400 a long time ago and the thing pulls awesome!. I bought the 450 a couple of weeks ago and bought a 13 front sprocket, I did not even ride it stock, I just put it right on. While riding with some guys in the dunes, it seemed like I was always between 1st and 2nd. 1st was winding out, or 2nd was lugging. I am going to get a 39 for the rear, what do you guys think? Should I go back to stock so I actually am cruising in 1st more, or gear it down some more to utilize second more?

#4 ·
I listened to everyone rave about the 13t sprocket for a little while then I went and bought one. I had it on for about 10 minutes before I decided that it wasn't what I wanted. I put the 39t on the rear instead and its just right.

#5 ·
I should get the 39 today or tomorrow, hopefully, we are going to some dunes this weekend, I'll let ya know.

#6 ·
I haven't used a 39 in the back, but I do have a 13 in front and it seems to feel really good with the Maxxis. Maxxis is taller than stock so it's like a 13.5. This bike is very talled geared compared to the 400ex. One thing for sure, when riding in the woods you must double clutch a lot. Otherwise it's very easy to stall. As far as the dunes are concered you should be in second or third pinned. That's the only way to ride. When it doubt, full thottle!!! That's what the 450R is all about.

#8 ·
I don't know how tall the 450R gearing really in yet, haven't rode one, but I do remember ALWAYS wanting another gear in my KFX400, so maybe it'll work for me. I never used 1st on the KFX unless I was stopped or riding boulders.

I'm with Rico, full throttle!! even on the 4-strokes! But maybe I just have 2-stroke habits that die hard from my first ATV, a Blaster.... What I do know is that whenever you hold the throttle pinned, you get through those gears quicker!

-RR

#9 ·
Remember, the TRX is the basis of a race machine. This is why it is so high geared and that is why Honda entered it in the Baja. I have had my 450R for about two months and to me it seems like the harder you ride it, the better it responds. Yes you can lug it, but Tim Farr was part of the development of this bike. The 450R is set up for anyone to ride it with the thought of race capabilities in mined. But, not a full racer. You must do some stuff to it in order to get the full potential out of this machine. Lugging is not a bad thing, but this bike is not a EX, it's a beast waiting to be unleashed!!!

#10 ·
i agree with you rico' it does want to be rode hard but i have 13-42 gear set up,yes i know its low but i ride in stuff that 4x4s have a tough time getting through and i dont like to keep pulling in the clutch but when i get on the gas watch out this thing is a torque monster!!!

#11 ·
blank450r, I know with stock gearing the 450 is about, I would say 75 to 80 mph. At least it seemed like that when I put it up next to my friends 465ex storker which had 15/36. With that in mind, what is the top speed off your bike with that gearing?
Just curious!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.