Honda TRX 450R banner

Moderator Author Request

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  mixxer 
#1 ·
it is clear that there are many talented and articulate tuners in this sites moderator pool.

first i would like to invite them to critique any tech writing i post on my site (hopefully not like inviting a hyena pack to share some ribs) but if i'm off base i want to know.

second, if any of them would like to educate or elaborate on anything that enlightens our motorsport bretheren by writing an atrticle, i would be grateful for the chance to post it on my site and give them full authoring credit i.e insert name here, moderator @trx450r.org

you can't name names in your writing though guy's . i'm not sure why, but we have to protect the guilty.

.......................mixxer

#4 ·
i'm asking the moderators from this site if any of them would interested in writing tech articles for my site. most of them know who i am. i am also asking them to check\correct me in any of my own articles.........mixxer

#7 ·
I looked through the site the other day and it was very informative, everything looked fine to me

What type of articles are you looking for? I don't think my knowledge vast is enough for the articles you have already written.

#8 ·
Lukester and Desert, you guys both know more than enough to contribute to my site. you contribute tons to this site daily.
by the way, you are both on the list for free chocolate as soon as its not homemade. the only thing holding us up right now is the inlet megaphones from a place in california (that also supplies for fmf)
reconsider writing some articles about anything you find riders might want to know about. really, you guys got it. my articles would be longer, but for the fact (and shame) that i am a 2 finger typist. mixxer

#9 ·
Originally posted by lukester720@Sep 14 2004, 03:03 PM
I looked through the site the other day and it was very informative, everything looked fine to me

What type of articles are you looking for? I don't think my knowledge vast is enough for the articles you have already written.
I looked through them all too and I just want to say, those articles have a "poopload" of info! It really was a great read and I like how you lightened up the info with some joking (ex: the answer to one question was "Who really cares??? Now you can have a Pulse Charger!"). That really does make the reading more enjoyable. Unfortunately, I'm only 15, and in many cases I wouldn't recognize any erronous information. But keep those articles coming, I am learing a lot from them and definately suggest that everyone takes a look :D

#10 ·
mixxer, you have a lot of info on your site. I am still reading some stuff on there. Very informative....However I know I dont know near as much as you do about this, but If I think of anything that would be a good topic, I will let you know....

#12 ·
Your article on weight was very good. For a couple of years all the rage in the snow world was for Ti. driveshafts to save weight. People werent' in the know concerning the actual physics behind the shafts.

Basically the acceptable formula as of late is that for every 1# of rotational mass that you lose it is worth 7# of actual weight loss for a acceleration run.

On offroad.com several years ago someone actually ran the numbers to prove or disprove this...can't remember how it turned out.

A person HAS to remember to think in INERTAIL mode though.....steady state systems don't really care how much mass your rotating.

My personal experience with this was in 1998. On my sled I replaced the clutch cover bolts (steel) with Ti., I also replaced the wrist pins with OEM pins for a different sled but much lighter. Between the 2 mods I lost almost 2 oz. of rotating/recipricating mass. WOW!!! The sled went from a every day ride to having throttle response similiar to a 250 motocross bike!!

Despite what the factory performance guy said I did pick up some harmonics at idle though...after around 2000 miles it had broke some ground wires off on the motor. Whether this was from the vibration or not I don't know. The particular wire that broke has been faulty on 4 of my sleds. I didn't make a habit of letting the sled idle though so who knows...

#13 ·
rotational mass is flywheel weight. the big effect on performance is evident in that when the aftermarket makes flywheel weight changes it is common to make changes in increments of several ounces.

can you imagine the effect that adding 18lbs on the rear axle would have made?!! yet somehow the mags fail to inform ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
............mixxer

#14 ·
Your website is great!

I wish that someone would print a mag that was geared towards the technical side of ATV's verses publishing a glorified sales brocure. I hope that I'm not the only one out there that would spend 4 hours reading about gasoline!

Snowmobilers have SnowTech magazine. When a company offers a new product the designer typically writes a technical brief of the product including all the engineering numbers to back up their claims for performance. They also have guest writers every publishing that write some GREAT articles if your a tech head.

#15 ·
Originally posted by clutch@Sep 17 2004, 10:02 AM
Your website is great!

I wish that someone would print a mag that was geared towards the technical side of ATV's verses publishing a glorified sales brocure.  I hope that I'm not the only one out there that would spend 4 hours reading about gasoline!

thanks so much for the kind reviews. i don't want to sound like a geezer.... "back in MY day".... (i'm 43) but when i was young the mags were a much greater source of information. this is what sparked my tech interest as a boy hoping to own something as rad as a briggs&stratton powered mini bike.

your quote of glorified sales brochure couldn't be funnier or more accurate (sadly so) as the majority of this so called informative text is akin to a pro wrestling match (let's go over this until we do it so well nobody actually gets hurt \ kissing sister style)

it leaves little for the next generation to learn from and without the first spark there won't be a new flame

tech is tech and any trick you can teach someone may start their own gears turning to innovate on something else. passing the flame so to speak

here's my pass for the day: read ANYTHING by the late , great Smokey Yunick
.................mixxer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.