Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought my 450r not even a month ago and its giving me nothing but problems. everything from missing, boggs, back fires, and sometimes if u even touch the throttle while its ideling it kills it. also i havent even touched it yet, no exhaust, filter, cam, etc... bone stock except taking the fact. end cap off(which is nothing ) the dealer told me to change the plug b/c its prob fouled. so i took it out(was pitch black and threw a new iridium in.) ran fine for an hour or so and started doin it again.so i took it back. havent heard back yet from the dealer and its been a week. any1 else have these probs or know what it could be. im gettin fed up with my R but im not giving up yet.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Did it do it before you messed with the exhaust. they come really corked up from the factory. You might need to rejet it. If not, check your carb. I head of someone else that had black plastic shavings in the carb. Possible from the inside of the gas tank.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
that happened to me too man and i was going to give it back to the dealer and get a yfz but it runs perfect now
turn ur idle up alittle when u give it gas it stalls and thats y. it happened to me

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by 450rracer@Aug 30 2004, 09:20 PM
i just bought my 450r not even a month ago and its giving me nothing but problems.  everything from missing, boggs, back fires, and sometimes if u even touch the throttle while its ideling it kills it.  also i havent even touched it yet, no exhaust, filter, cam, etc... bone stock except taking the fact. end cap off(which is nothing ) the dealer told me to change the plug b/c its prob fouled. so i took it out(was pitch black and threw a new iridium in.) ran fine for an hour or so and started doin it again.so i took it back.  havent heard back yet from the dealer and its been a week.  any1 else have these probs or know what it could be.  im gettin fed up with my R but im not giving up yet.
if your spark plug is black like you say, then you are running rich. So what is happening is your getting to much gas and choking it out. Kind of like you were running with the choke on. Also, when you give it gas and it dies, is because you need to adjust your fuel screw. I would check to see if its at the stock 1.5 turns out from bottom. if not you need to adjust it there. If it is already at 1.5 then turn it down to 1 turn and see how that is. How clean is your air filter. if its real dirty then you will be running rich also. just some things you can check out.

·
Registered
278 Posts
i would say like the other guy said when you take the baffle out you might need to rejet.dont give up on the r you will get it figured out.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The endcap won't make a big enough difference for your quad to run like it is. Just put it back in to see. I'll bet it won't make any difference.
It is definetly a fuel problem. Start with the carb. If all jetting is correct, then I say look at the "TPS" (throttle position sensor). Ask your dealer to "borrow" a carb. off another machine just for a comparison.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i took it back on the 27th and still nothing from the dealership, if i get it back and its still doing all of this then ill def take a look at the air screw and things like that, hopefully they get it figured it out and its all under warrenty b/c ive taken it back before for stuff and honestly im getting fed up with it all. i understand things come up every now and then with these machines but ive owned 2 250r's before and never had issues like this, and there 2 strokes. i have to say guys that the new 450R is letting me down. will have to wait and see. but thanks for all the feedback.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Originally posted by 450rracer@Aug 31 2004, 11:50 PM
i have to say guys that the new 450R is letting me down.
if you would check your fuel screw, then maybe take your carb bowl off and check it, you wouldnt be having these problems. this could happen to any atv, so i wouldnt say your 450r is letting you down. its a simple fix. how can you own 2 250rs and not know that you need to adjust your carb? this is common sense.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Something similar happened to me with my 450R. It would idle until I gave it throttle, then stall. Plug was black as coal. It turned out to be the slide that the needle sits in was getting stuck in a 1/2 to 3/4 throttle position, not returning the slide to idle position, causing it to stall from being way way too rich just off throttle. Mine was stuck pretty well, and it had gotten dirt inside it from the air filter moving off its seat while riding, causing the slide to get stuck. But, if it's happening to you intermittently, that could definitely do what yours is doing.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks diesaleb59, im gonna have to take a look at that. when i dropped the bottom of the bowl it looked fine, no dirt or anything.the fuel screw was at the proper setting and i put the factory end cap back on. still did it. at first i thought it might have been the tps sensor or something cause it only did after i rode it a while. ill take a look at that needle and see whats happeneing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My bowl was clean as could be. The vacuum side of the carb was what was all crudded up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts