Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm running 114 now, with no problems, but it's almost $9 a gallon at my local bike shop. So, my local BP station down the road from work has 110 octane at 5.99 a gallon. Is that ok to run with 13.5:1 piston? I don't trail ride or anything, this bike is strictly motocrosser. Thanks in advance. Feel free to make me look stupid if it'll help. LoL

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
I agree thats pretty cheap. Just remember if the fuel tank at the station is vented as they all are, the fuel will lose its octane rating pretty quick if the fuel sets very long.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
I agree thats pretty cheap. Just remember if the fuel tank at the station is vented as they all are, the fuel will lose its octane rating pretty quick if the fuel sets very long.[/b]

yeah but who's to know how old the fuel actually is.. the owner will always say its fresh.

i think even if that 110 lost a few octane points he would still be good cuz hes runnin a 13.5 piston.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
GPRacer would be the person to enlighten us with his vast knowledge in this area.....

bottom line.... your typical 'available' fuel at an airport is 100LL..... and replaces the older fuels (back when I was flying a lot) of 80/87 and 100/130......

100LL is similar to 100/130 but was only rated using the 'lean mixture' octane rating of 100.... the LL apparently stands for 'Low Lead' or reduced lead in the fuel...(aircraft fuel used to be well known for its TEL content)

at any rate.... 100LL has a ground octane rating of 99.5 MON..... not bad... and is about equivelant to a typical R+M/2 rating of 105 or so....... as compared to 110 TEL.... one thing to add about Av-Gas is that I assume it is still blended with a lot of additives to help disperse water and run cool in air-cooled engines.....not sure if thats a good thing or bad thing to be honest with ya.....

so.....it has some good qualities.... is relatively cheap...... and probably has enough octane to effectively burn up to 13.5:1 or even more compression........

the bad news is......it is not allowed to be dispensed into any containers here in Cali....not sure about other states..... I couldnt even tell ya the cost of Av-gas anymore...... but it used to only be about 10% more expensive than pump fuel back in the 80's/90's....

Just remember one thing..... an aircraft engine is set to a specific RPM and left alone... there is no on/off the throttle, the RPMs are relatively low at 2500-3000rpm or so as compared to most vehicle engines, and the load remains rather constant (other than Take-Off). so whether the fuel is developed for a typical auto engine with varying loads, varying rpms is unknown to me.

I would 'think' av-gas would be fine for 13.5:1 compression.....depending of course on your exact build... an HCI cam and very tall gearing might change this......but 105 octane should be safe.....

110 TEL is the easiest and cheapest to purchase here in Cali and its $8 a gallon.......

anyways...hope that helped......me~

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
GPRacer would be the person to enlighten us with his vast knowledge in this area.....

bottom line.... your typical 'available' fuel at an airport is 100LL..... and replaces the older fuels (back when I was flying a lot) of 80/87 and 100/130......

100LL is similar to 100/130 but was only rated using the 'lean mixture' octane rating of 100.... the LL apparently stands for 'Low Lead' or reduced lead in the fuel...(aircraft fuel used to be well known for its TEL content)

at any rate.... 100LL has a ground octane rating of 99.5 MON..... not bad... and is about equivelant to a typical R+M/2 rating of 105 or so....... as compared to 110 TEL.... one thing to add about Av-Gas is that I assume it is still blended with a lot of additives to help disperse water and run cool in air-cooled engines.....not sure if thats a good thing or bad thing to be honest with ya.....

so.....it has some good qualities.... is relatively cheap...... and probably has enough octane to effectively burn up to 13.5:1 or even more compression........

the bad news is......it is not allowed to be dispensed into any containers here in Cali....not sure about other states..... I couldnt even tell ya the cost of Av-gas anymore...... but it used to only be about 10% more expensive than pump fuel back in the 80's/90's....

Just remember one thing..... an aircraft engine is set to a specific RPM and left alone... there is no on/off the throttle, the RPMs are relatively low at 2500-3000rpm or so as compared to most vehicle engines, and the load remains rather constant (other than Take-Off). so whether the fuel is developed for a typical auto engine with varying loads, varying rpms is unknown to me.

I would 'think' av-gas would be fine for 13.5:1 compression.....depending of course on your exact build... an HCI cam and very tall gearing might change this......but 105 octane should be safe.....

110 TEL is the easiest and cheapest to purchase here in Cali and its $8 a gallon.......

anyways...hope that helped......me~[/b]
I was going to give AV a try since I can get it locally close to me. But the price on it is higher than it's worth. The cheapest I could find it for was $5.85/gal. So I'm going the kemco route since I only need a few points.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

I was going to give AV a try since I can get it locally close to me. But the price on it is higher than it's worth. The cheapest I could find it for was $5.85/gal. So I'm going the kemco route since I only need a few points.
[/b]

did you use the kemco allready on the new build?

·
Registered
3,557 Posts

[/b]

[/b]
Nope, I will on Sat. morning though. I mixed up a batch yesterday to break in the piston on Sat, and for the dyno tune on Monday. However I mix it for the dyno tune is where I'm going to leave it.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
QUOTE(450RRR @ Jul 17 2008, 07:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=531877
<div class='quotemain'>GPRacer would be the person to enlighten us with his vast knowledge in this area.....

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Nope, I will on Sat. morning though. I mixed up a batch yesterday to break in the piston on Sat, and for the dyno tune on Monday. However I mix it for the dyno tune is where I'm going to leave it.
[/b][/quote]

how much octane in kemco are you adding to pump gas?

92 pumpgas + 8 kemco to run 100? or something like that.

·
Admin
2,546 Posts
That's about what I run is 92-3 pump plus Kemco bumping it up to around 103. I run it all day in the dunes with 14.25:1 compression. Been running it for the last 2-3 years with no problems. It also has a ton of lead in it, which is great for my valve train.

The nice thing is when I run out of gas I can just run to a local station and pick up some super and mix it with another bottle of Kemco :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts