Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced the carb on my 07 with a 2014 carb since my old carb was beaten up and a lot of the jets were broken in the mid-carb. Re-jetted the quad 185-main jet and a 48-pilot jet with a 55-leak jet and I'm at 2.5 turns out on the AFR. My current mods are DASA with air box lid off with K&N filter and looks to be a ported head as well. Quad runs excellent until you hit WOT at the top of the RPMs it sputters and cuts out. Other than that it ran excellent and to top it off when loading it up the rear grab bar broke off so I guess I will replace that and fix the rear tail light harness and get a new tail light.
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
21 Posts
I got 91 octane in it best I can find for it as they dont sell 93 octane here.
Are you getting it from Shell? If so, stop. I chased this same problem you describe. Switching fuel from Shell gas made the biggest improvement, as troubleshooting and adjusting jetting is next to impossible if the fuel is no bueno or even not consistently used to tune and run on. Also check your hot start cable at carb for good seal and that it closes all the way, especially when turning the handle bars.

· Registered
21 Posts
I'd loose the K&N and get 2 less expensive filters and keep one in a baggie pre-oiled. K&N works ok when your on-road, sucking clean air, and the engine has 24 to 48 valves. Not so much on the 4 valve single with heavy dirt, sand, grit, etc. coming in. I know that is not what you had asked about, but it will definitely increase the life of the valves, valve seats, springs and keep you from having to re-shim as often.

· Registered
06 HRC cam new piston rings crank shaft cam chain sparks full exhaust uni filter many more bolt ons!
1,194 Posts
Are you hitting the rev limiter? I know it sounds like a dumb question but that’s exactly what happens in each gear when you hit the rev with wot at the top of RPM’s. It sputters and cuts out. You could cut the green wire but it really should be done with a cam. Plus the mods you already have. It’ll give you that extra 1,000 rpms up top.
i was a bit skeptical on the green wire mod.
But I finally cut it and it does work. Also my quad idles better with it cut 🤷🏻‍♂️ wierd. Which is a good thing. But you might just be hitting the rev limiter, thats what it’s designed to do.

· Truck Yea
6,119 Posts
too rich, drop the main down to about a 165 and see what happens. you have a mostly stock engine

oh with the grab bar btw - MAKE SURE you have the little reinforcements that go in there. a friend didnt and busted the entire back of his subframe off.

Reactions: KB Motorsports

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay got it all sorted had covid so been out for a little over a week but I went down on the main jet to a 175 and runs very good now. I’m surprised Dasa said 185. I got lucky today I snagged some paddle tires the AD on marketplace just said $200 I was like will you take $160 since the photos were so bad they didn’t look that great. Well I ended up getting 2 full sets wheels and tires and they were all like new just dirty. Took it to the river to make sure everything runs well before my trip to little Sahara in a few weeks and she runs excellent!
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Automotive tire Tire Hat Hood Tread

· Registered
06 HRC cam new piston rings crank shaft cam chain sparks full exhaust uni filter many more bolt ons!
1,194 Posts
Thats good!! 👍 you got it dialed in. Nice quad and great deal on those tires huh?
I’d say you made out on that deal.
Have fun at little sahara

Reactions: zachh993

· Truck Yea
6,119 Posts
run the v paddles and the fronts, i never used to run the paddle fronts and finally did and was amazed the difference they make it soft sand. the straight paddles are nice but you gotta slide more yourself and its harder to turn in the soft stuff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts