Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
there is a new mx track locally that its pretty close to me; so i`ve been practicing more frequently lately.
i`ve been riding for the past 8 years, mostly baja-style, so jumping is not my strongest point when riding an ATV
lately i`ve been starting to clear some medium length table-tops (40-45ft?), however; when being mid-air and in need to make some pitch correction, , i dont know how to properly tilt the quad forward or backwards.
dirt bikes do this by hitting the throttle or the front brake i believe....but the most i am able to do is to balance it a little bit by leaning my body .
am i just lacking the technique, or mid-air correction is different for atv`s?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I'm curious as well, I'm really not a flying device, but sometimes got to do it to be fast, but jumps are scary to me due to my inability to correct mid-air pitch.
I find it easier to use a higher gear low midrange RPM to gas up the front, rear weight bias also helps a bunch.

Still the small steep jumps seem to throw me out of control

·
Registered
435 Posts
pull in the clutch and hit the rear brake to bring the front down. It should be the same as a dirt bike.
WFO to bring the front end up.
Play around with it. Focus on one technique at a time until you have it down.

·
Registered
25 Posts
most people are stiff on the bike , moving in every way the bike goes so everytime they jump and the takeoff isnt perfectly smooth , combined with letting off the gas at the bottom and a blip right off the lip , they are all over the place once in the air.

stay smooth , relaxed
steady throttle
body position
dont try anything you feel not safe doing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
most people are stiff on the bike , moving in every way the bike goes so everytime they jump and the takeoff isnt perfectly smooth , combined with letting off the gas at the bottom and a blip right off the lip , they are all over the place once in the air.

stay smooth , relaxed
steady throttle
body position
dont try anything you feel not safe doing.
As a life-long mx bike racer, just now dabbling in quads, I can vouch for the advice above. It's exactly what worked for me. Just took a little time to get comfortable and confident. Once I had that, being a little sideways didn't bother me, because I could correct or else know that I'd be fine on the landing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't go Full throttle I rolled my trx 4 days ago, Swollen leg, and cut eye lid... Take it easy and learn a technique

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Well, after the rest of the 2014 season, Steeve was right on the money, I even started to enjoy some jumps...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts