Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
I recently went to do an oil change on my 2005 Trx450r that i recently baught used and found alot of metal shavings in with the oil.. I am wondering on what my first plan of action should be atm and any suggestions would be nice. I have a guy that is going to take the crankcase cover off and look and see what he can find out for me but any insight on what this problem could be and if its major . thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
if it didnt lock up yet ( which im guessing it didnt ) just tear it down and go from there, u might be lucky at the moment for not alot of damage definately dont ride it with out knowing

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
if it didnt lock up yet ( which im guessing it didnt ) just tear it down and go from there, u might be lucky at the moment for not alot of damage definately dont ride it with out knowing[/b]

I always hear people saying u will always see some shavings.. Are they talking about the tranny side or something? I thought it was a common thing, i changed my oil in my engine and tranny side and didnt see any so im guessing thats a good thing

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
youll know when somethings happened it isnt just a few shavings the filter will be covered in them, pull the filter and let some oil fal in the dirt sand let it soak in and look at all the metal..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the guy that was doing the work to my bike (fixing a gasket on the crankcase cover) noticed it . he said there was ALOT of shavings and he said i could either sell it or take a further look at it. Any ideas what it could possibly be? im tight on money atm so am not sure if i should find out and in time get the money to fix it or sell, allthough i would like to keep it as its in impecable shape otherwise. thanks.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
pull the filter and let some oil fal in the dirt sand let it soak in and look at all the metal..[/b]

what do you mean by this?..... is this supposed to help you see the metal better?.... :dunno:

·
Registered
333 Posts
are they copper colored?? if so you might as well plan on new crank and earings.. when mine went .. the filter was completly clogged with copper.. if your oil has never been changed then its possible its jsut that.. needs an oil change.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
its gonna be the crank.

youll need a new crank assembly, bearings,seals, and gaskets.

the motor needs to be pulled apart in order to do this.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I would say it is probably the big end rod bearing/thrust washers...if you catch it in time you can save yourself a butt load of cash.If it is run with the rod bearings gone it will offset the rod on the pin and can damage the cases,cylinder,piston and the shavings will wreak havoc on the rest of the bottom end/crank bearings.

Like already mentioned....do not run it until it has been thoroughly check out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all the help everyone, if it is the crank any recomendations on what to buy.. like aftermarket or oem? keeping in mind i would like to keep the stock valves and cams as long as they are still in good running order.

·
Registered
335 Posts
thanks for all the help everyone, if it is the crank any recomendations on what to buy.. like aftermarket or oem? keeping in mind i would like to keep the stock valves and cams as long as they are still in good running order.[/b]
LOL........he hasn't been 'round here long enough..... :whistle:

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
If you want to keep the stock stroke you can go OEM or like alot of others ubgraded to
the Hotrods Heavy Duty crank.

u can even go to a+3Mill for a stroker.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
no i havnt.. its my first quad?[/b]
I think ironworker3 was only saying that because of your staying stock comment. We all say that at first and before you know it, you've got the bug, and the mods start and never stop.

I would agree that it's probably your lower rod bearing. A very rough estimate for parts would be:

crank assembly w/ right main bearing - around $225
left main bearing $35
left and right main seals $20
gaskets $100

Again, these are purely a guess but should be close. If you do the work yourself, you'll need a few special tools. Otherwise, you can count on spending anywhere from $300-$500 in labor for a motor rebuild.

·
Registered
335 Posts
You got it bueller!!!.....the best thing to do is get the tools and learn how to do it yourself....cause if you spend much time on here you'll want more power in no time. But ya, like bueller said...havin someone else do the crank can get pricey....so do the +3mm crank now...and save your money for a pipe and cam..lol BTW congradulations on a Honda450 as your first quad!!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ahh ok well thanks for all the help guys sry about that ironworker took it the wrong way my bad. As for the laybor im getting a guy I know pretty well so I dont think he will overcharge me i mean the local dealership here is like 75$ an hour he would probably only want like 20-30$ but your definately right that i do need to eventually get tools and learn how to do it myself.

I priced the crankshaft assembly today the stock oem is $390 plus tax.. so i think i might as well go with the hotrods complete crankshaft kit for only an extra like 100$ and comes with all bearings and seals . I seen the +3 mm cranks but could only find them for the 06 and up though .

lol thanks iron~ all my friends wanted me to get a polaris 4x4.. lol NO THANKS... and i was lookin into a raptor for awhile but well to be honest im a Honda fan so ill stick with it as i alrdy have a crf150f dirtbike. quite the change goin from a 150f to a 450r quad lol .

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Get part numbers and buy all ur OEM parts from service honda, youll save a bunch trust me its something like 30% off retail ,

1 - 20 of 24 Posts