Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys. I think I know the answer to this question but don't want to hear it so I figured I would get another opinion and I know you guys have one.

I pulled the oil filter the other day and I have brass looking shavings in it. This is a 2004 450r with a +3 hot rod crank. The crank has about 15 hours on it. I have always ran the 10-40 Amsoil and it has been changed after every race. The last race before summer break I think it got a little warm and it may have caused this failure. I can hear a small ticking in the engine and figured it was valves. So I changed the oil and ran the over head which was good. I am guessing I have a rod bearing failure but I didn't remember seeing brass thrust bearings on the hot rod crank. Could it be the top bearing which I think was a brass bushing? Thanks for your help guys. I have about 2 months before the next race so would like to get this fixed but didnt' want to order parts until I got another opinion.

·
450R Rider
1,148 Posts
Unless you had the crank balanced and trued with your piston Id say you are having the same failure I did a little over 3 weeks ago on a HR HD crank.
My best guess is it is your thrust washer throwing the shavings and on its way to sieze.

I really hope I am wrong but with the problems Ive been seeing the unbalanced cranks are getting eaten up.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is kind of what I was affraid of. If I caught this in time do you think it would be cheaper to put a new rod on this crank or buy a new one and have it balanced? What have you guys been doing? I think if I need to buy a rod and go that route I will make it a long rod. Any thoughts on this?

·
450R Rider
1,148 Posts
I am going to talk to Hotrods and maybe they can cut me a deal on a conn rod. Then have it sent out with the piston of choice and have it done right.
Tell ya the truth I dont really know WHAT to do right now, I put my OEM crank back in hoping to hobble along the rest of this riding season and deal with it when its freezing out.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
man another +3 bites the dust, this has been happening way too much.

hope you caught it in time with no damage anywhere else. open it up and see what you come up with.
are you running a stock bore?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This crank has been run with a stock bore. I purchased a 98mm cylinder for it but never put it on with all the hype on here about breaking skirts.

I am debating on which way to take this one too. I need a reliable motor for XC racing but love the torque that this thing put out. I think I still want to stroke it just not sure if I will go back with a short rod. May try the long rod.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
This crank has been run with a stock bore. I purchased a 98mm cylinder for it but never put it on with all the hype on here about breaking skirts.

I am debating on which way to take this one too. I need a reliable motor for XC racing but love the torque that this thing put out. I think I still want to stroke it just not sure if I will go back with a short rod. May try the long rod.[/b]

i think skirts are breaking because of the side load the +3 crank puts on it.

that 98 jug would work well on a stoke stroke crank. they make good power.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you guys think I would loose any power or torque by going with a big bore set up instead of stroker set up. The displacement is close to the same either way I go I think. I am interested in looking into this option.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Do you guys think I would loose any power or torque by going with a big bore set up instead of stroker set up. The displacement is close to the same either way I go I think. I am interested in looking into this option.[/b]

bueller, is in the process of getting a bigbore built. or even running by now.
he did alot of homework before he built his motor, hope he sees this and comes in
to share his wisdom.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am kind of leaning to the Big Bore instead of the stoker. I am not sure which crank I need to use. I am kind of leery of the HR cranks have they been failing like the +3 HR cranks? I would rather spend a little more money and get a crank that will last. I have had the transmission split 3 times this year already and I am tired of it. I have all new gears and thought I had a good bottom end until last race so would rather spend the money to make it reliable.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
I am kind of leaning to the Big Bore instead of the stoker. I am not sure which crank I need to use. I am kind of leery of the HR cranks have they been failing like the +3 HR cranks? I would rather spend a little more money and get a crank that will last. I have had the transmission split 3 times this year already and I am tired of it. I have all new gears and thought I had a good bottom end until last race so would rather spend the money to make it reliable.[/b]

the HD crank balanced with your piston on the 480 would run like a champ and verry reliable.

·
450R Rider
1,148 Posts
Any updates man? What did you go with, what was the turnaround time for crankworks?

Im trying to decide to rebuild the OEM, HD or buy a new crank/ piston and have it sent out for balance.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Any updates man? What did you go with, what was the turnaround time for crankworks?

Im trying to decide to rebuild the OEM, HD or buy a new crank/ piston and have it sent out for balance.[/b]

if you got the $$$ send out an HD with piston for balancing.

·
450R Rider
1,148 Posts
Dont really have the money but can get it easy enough. My profit sharing check shows up mid Sept. I cant really afford to not do this right either...

·
Registered
897 Posts
i always have a ton of metal in my tranny oil, its from the clutch.

thats why they separated the two oils in the 450r motor, so clutch debris do not get into the "vital" parts of the engine.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
metal from transmission? i'm a little confused there is no oil filther in the tranny side?[/b]

He is speaking about the engine filter......he simply titled his thread wrong......

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
im having the same problem and i still have the stock crank. sounds like a balanced crank is the best thing. my big question is who makes balanced cranks? the falicon cranks are like $1300... way too expensive but maybe worth it.
what is better between the wiseco hotrods crank and the factory honda crank? im thinking about getting one or the other, kinda leaning toward the hotrods crank and having it balanced.
are the honda cranks not balanced?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I have over 50 hours of HARD dune riding on my HOUR stroker... I do tons of drag racing and am always revving the piss outa my R. Still running fine.. *knock on wood*
I just changed the oil and it looked brand new...

I didn't have mine balanced.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts