Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed the oil in the '05 i bought recently after taking it out for a weekend and the filter was full of metal (aluminum) shavings. It didn't look like that when i bought it or the first time i changed the oil. Pretty disappointed since I didn't expect any problems, i've been treating it well and riding it pretty easy. Should i keep riding it? Am i going to need a new cylinder? Piston? whats the best way to approach it?

· Making HP ain’t free. . .
5,010 Posts
Unfortunately, you are in for a complete engine rebuild. Do not keep riding, you will just cause further damage. It is disappointing, but it is more likely to happen on the 04-05 machines. If you are fortunate you will just need a crank and bearings and the entire engine thoroughly cleaned, and of course the usual bits that go with a rebuild, timing chain, gaskets and seals, etc. But sometimes as the crank starts to go out, there’s lots of load placed on the cylinder wall from the bearing going bad and it will take out the cylinder and piston. Either way, don’t ride it. Where are you located?

· Making HP ain’t free. . .
5,010 Posts
Yeah, if it’s all original it’s definitely due. There’s a few place to order parts that I would recommend, depending on what type of build you’d like to do. What type of plans do you have?

· Registered
06 HRC cam new piston rings crank shaft cam chain sparks full exhaust uni filter many more bolt ons!
1,194 Posts
Look at it this way! The motor lasted 18 years with multiple owners. Now that you’re the one whi has to rebuild it, you can keep it another 18 years. I know the feeling when your motor goes. Same thing happened to my second 05, i was depressed at first. But the plus side is youll get many more years out of a strong rebuilt honda motor. And you have so many options you can choose from.
DAMN! 18 years on an original single cylinder motor!! Cant get that out of a 2 stroke smoker 😂 , youll go thru 18 top ends in 18 years with a 2 stroke. (I too hate two strokes hoser).
good luck with your build bro. Youll be even more happy when its done.

Reactions: Ryan94Wright

· Registered
667 Posts
Yeah that is a pretty good life for your engine. But they ALLL will advenually fail. Seems like the 450R's cranks are what fail.

For sure Take hosers advice, do not try to even crank it either or roll it in gear. Just get it rebiult. If those Thrust Washers let loos completly they will trash the case and take out the Oil Pump bore.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts